Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
When I bought my Honda Civic, I purchased an extended warranty through Honda, called Honda care. I searched online and found a policy that was ~$800 for 100K miles and 8 years. $0 deductible. It was through a different dealer.

My dealer originally wanted like $1500, but they matched my online price.

I had a Warranty Gold policy once, they went bankrupt. Luckily I charged it and was given a 100% refund.
That's what I think I'll do. And probably after my original bumper-to-bumper runs out. Dealer gave me an example of the cost of a digital display for your radio/navigation. Something like $800-$1000. Bummer if that went out and no warranty coverage.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
That's what I think i'll do. And probably after my original bumper-to-bumper runs out. Dealer gave me an example of the cost of a digital display for your radio/navigation. Something like $800-$1000. Bummer if that went out and no warranty coverage.

Great example. Ask the dealer for names of customers who have had that actually happen. I'll bet he can't give you the phone number of one.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #23

Looking at my GEICO policy it seems I had added something called "mechanical breakdown" after the new car's three-year warranty had expired. It cost $56 every six months. It had a $250 deductible. The warranty could not be renewed after the car was eight years old. Fortunately, I never had to use the extended warranty.

So, maybe you could get an extended warranty through your insurance company and then when you can no longer go that route, perhaps you could surprise your wife by buying her that brand-new Cadillac ( which might break down as you leave the dealer's lot).
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Did you buy it directly from Ford or from the dealer?

Edit: I see that Ford has gotten into selling these policies under their brand name, something that was not done a few years ago. It could be they have entered the insurance market or are just re-branding the policies, and believe me, these are insurance products.

I hear that Gieco in the states offers auto repair policies with an adder on to an existing policy for less that $10/month additional. I have not seen that personally, but a few people I know have mentioned it.
It is a Ford program, purchased through the dealer, but definately Ford. For me the attraction was it is honored at all Ford dealers so no dealing with whether or not something is covered. As it turned out they paid off on a rear wheel bearing and housing and replaceing an expensive stereo system. The policy was $1200 about 6 years ago.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Great example. Ask the dealer for names of customers who have had that actually happen. I'll bet he can't give you the phone number of one.
I wouldn't buy any of the items mentioned. The reason to buy a toyota, honda etc is to avoid this. CR did some research and most people never use the extended warranty, in particular toyota, honda and subaru owners

Are Extended Warranties For Cars Worth It - Consumer Reports

35K miles maintence is probably nothing more than a few oil changes. First major service is probably more like 60 or even 100K miles.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #26

+1 Cancel all of them.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a 1997 Camry XLE new. Dealer wanted me to spring for a $1000. extended warranty.

I drove the car until last year. Over 200K miles. Never spent that on repairs, other than normal wear and tear, over 18 years. My son has had the car for the past year. Does not burn or leak any oil. Drives like a top.

Just regular mtce including changing all fluids according to the manual.

So glad that we did not spring for the extended mtce. My friend, OTOH bought a Ford van and decided to go for the extended warranty. In his words....it was a bargain. At the end of the five year period the only thing that did not fail was the steering wheel. He dumped it the month before the expiration of the extended warranty.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #28

I think generally people are right about not buying an extended warranty. This last car was the first time I bought the warranty; it's a car i really like but it was first year of production so I took the chance.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Not to hijack the topic but I think you are selling your wife short . Most women when widowed rise to the occasion and handle car repairs . How hard is it to have an oil change or tires replaced ? The thing I needed when my husband died was " What are all those remotes for and how do I get the DVD player to work ? I would ask your wife what she needs and you may be surprised .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Not to hijack the topic but I think you are selling your wife short . Most women when widowed rise to the occasion and handle car repairs . How hard is it to have an oil change or tires replaced ? The thing I needed when my husband died was " What are all those remotes for and how do I get the DVD player to work ? I would ask your wife what she needs and you may be surprised .
With the assets my wife would be left with, there would be more than enough new "helpers" coming by to assist her in meeting all her new needs. Plus, the garage will still be full of my tools!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

These are ALL insurance policies of sorts. They are never a good deal and if you can't afford the basic maintenance or actual replacement cost insurance, then you shouldn't be buying a brand new car.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm a fan of only one type of car extended warranty - the added mfg. warranty that comes with the purchase of a certified used car. I bought a used 2015 car with three years remaining on the new car warranty, and the certified qualification added another year/12,000 miles to the bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
aja, that was my point. My purchase price to start was $28831 for an XLE. Zero down. I drive out of the dealer and total the car. How much is covered by insurance? In your case, you invested a sizable down payment. So how much of that down payment was at risk? I put zero down, so my $28831 value car is worth what? $24-25000 ? I'd be out $3-4 grand. Maybe I'm looking at it in a different manner.

Are you getting it less than sticker

My boss had a new car for maybe a month before someone T boned him and totaled it out... in the mid 30s.... the insurance company paid sticker plus the add ons he had.... since he had paid less than sticker he made a profit....

It is now a myth that cars drop a big % once you drive them off the lot... I have seen many times where people were listing used cars about the same price as new when you get it cheap and have incentives on it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I wouldn't buy any of the items mentioned. The reason to buy a toyota, honda etc is to avoid this. CR did some research and most people never use the extended warranty, in particular toyota, honda and subaru owners

Are Extended Warranties For Cars Worth It - Consumer Reports

35K miles maintence is probably nothing more than a few oil changes. First major service is probably more like 60 or even 100K miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
+1 Cancel all of them.
+2... I think all items you listed are not worth the cost...

You will be surprised how DW will be able to do things after you are gone... (well, not really since you will not be here to see)... remember, she can always go and buy a new car if this one starts having troubles.... my sister did....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
aja, that was my point. My purchase price to start was $28831 for an XLE. Zero down. I drive out of the dealer and total the car. How much is covered by insurance? In your case, you invested a sizable down payment. So how much of that down payment was at risk? I put zero down, so my $28831 value car is worth what? $24-25000 ? I'd be out $3-4 grand. Maybe I'm looking at it in a different manner.
So you have $4k at risk for a few years. Let's say the likelihood of your totaling the car and being out the $4k is 1% a year (and that is probably high... how many cars have you totaled within the first 3 years of owning them?)... the expected loss is $40/year so $800 is a ripoff IMO. Cancel it and go with the $24 a year from your insurer if the gap really worries you.

+3 on the other stuff... cancel it all and get your money back....you bought a good quality car with a good warranty and the refunds of these extras gives you a $4,500 repair fund if you do have a problem.... that will pay for a lot of repairs. Think of it... you paid for $4,500 of extras after carefully negotiating for a $29k car... that's 16% more.

We bought a new car recently and were ushered into the F&I guy's office for the closing process.... he went over the same crap... I finally got nasty with him and told him that while I appreciated that he needs to go though his spiel that I wasn't buying any of it so let's just finish up.... and he did.

I did ask him on the road hazard coverage that if I had say 10k miles on the tires and cut a sidewall whether they replaced just the tire that was cut or all four and he conceded that the package would just cover one even though to keep the manufacturer's powertrain warranty in-force I would need to replace all four (AWD vehicle) so that seemed useless to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Johnnie: Run, not walk back to that dealership and get them to rewrite that contract before Toyota Credit or Southeast Toyota's captive finance company cashes it. The reason you're buying a Camry is the rock solid reputation mechanically.

You have fallen prey to a fast talking "Business Manager" and he's simply "hit a home run" on this deal. Cancel all the add on's, including Gap Insurance, as all their programs are overpriced. Be prepared to meet some resistance and/or they will try to talk you into keeping part of the coverage. Don't fall into their trap.

It's a shame that Toyota has never purchased Southeast Toyota Distributers and their affiliated companies. Although Jim Moran has left this earth, his children still have these companies. They fly a fleet of Gulfstream Jets and have some of the largest superyachts in South Florida. And it all came from ripping people off on worthless add on's, like undercoating (in FL?) paint sealants and mud flaps. They also rip off all the dealerships in the southeast that have to purchase cars through them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ good advice from and industry insider.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm a fan of only one type of car extended warranty - the added mfg. warranty that comes with the purchase of a certified used car. I bought a used 2015 car with three years remaining on the new car warranty, and the certified qualification added another year/12,000 miles to the bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Agree. I once bought a one year old "certified used car" with 3 years left on the warranty. They put another 3 years on it (I think). Still have the car but if is now out of warranty. No issues or claims.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #39

extended warranty is too much money and not worth it.

When you call to file a "claim" they ensure you've followed the dealers strict maintenance schedule and that the part in question is failing due to normal wear and tear.

For instance, my exhaust pipe was rattling and it was very annoying. The pipe was bent and causing the rattle...the warranty company would not cover it since it was a bent exhaust pipe.

I paid $60 to have some backyard mechanic weld me out of that problem...no more annoying rattle.

I did have a recall where the torque converter got replaced. I am gonna make sure to bring the car back at 90k miles and have them double check that torque converter. With the 6speed transmission it puts a lot of ware on that part. It failed me at 50k miles already and the dealer replaced it for free after arguing a bit with the master mechanic.

FYI I cancelled my extended warranty after they fought that first attempt to file a claim. It wasn't easy cancelling, had to fax a form with both DH and I signatures, then call the warranty company and finance company a cpl times to ensure 1. they cancelled and 2. they removed the remainder of the warranty cost from the loan with the finance company. They did and it reduced my loan by a few monthly payments when I canceled.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. I once bought a one year old "certified used car" with 3 years left on the warranty. They put another 3 years on it (I think). Still have the car but if is now out of warranty. No issues or claims.
I bought my truck as a CPO vehicle... at the time it was a year old and had 20k miles and the COP extended the 3/36 to 3/39 (or something like that).

In any event, we needed to replace the head gasket at just over 36k miles that was an expensive repair ($3k as I recall) and I thought it was going to be on me but the dealer said it was covered by that extra 3 months on the CPO..... whew!