Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How old were you when you retired?
Under 40 7 4.29%
40-45 16 9.82%
46, 47, 48 13 7.98%
49, 50, 51 16 9.82%
52, 53, 54 28 17.18%
55, 56 32 19.63%
57 11 6.75%
58 14 8.59%
59 8 4.91%
60 7 4.29%
61 3 1.84%
62 4 2.45%
63 4 2.45%
64 0 0%
65 0 0%
66 0 0%
67 0 0%
68 0 0%
69 0 0%
70 and above 0 0%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
What's a pension? ...
(BTW, retired at age 59 and made my own "pension" via an SPIA ).
Exactly... what's a pension? Currently at age 55, I will have to live on my nest egg's SWR, future interest, dividends, and capital appreciation--plus some part-time earnings, and, eventually SS and Medicare in some 10 years' time.

It IS so interesting to see so many other 55-year-olds retiring these days. That makes me feel I am in a fellow company of those who remember the Beatles on "The Ed Sullivan Show" with one-minute commercials every 20 minutes or so (not the 3 or 4-minute-long commercials every ten minutes these days, along with those annoying bottom-right transparent TV channel logos), Funny Face drinks, Schwinn Stingway bicycles (with their high motorcycle handlebars and banana seats), three-on-the-column, Desert boots, grandiose movie theaters (with those lobby picture cards you saw as you waited in line to enter the theater--wondering where in the movie those particular images would occur) the cartoons and double features, and those huge velvety curtains that spread ever so high and wide as the show began in your local palace of movie amusement.

And, again for one who today is circa 55-years-old, there was..., well, you others of this age please add to the list.

Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Makes sense, since 55 is a pretty common age for the earliest possible "out" with a pension.
...and retiree health insurance. That is what kept me waiting a couple of extra years to age 55.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could have retired at 43, with an Air Force pension. Wife was working, we had the cash for the kids education, and health care was covered. However, it just never occurred to us. Then again at 53, and in fact I was retired/not working for two years. I took a job that really seemed like it would be fun and it was. Both wife and I retired at 62. The difference between 43 and 62 is monumental! Our retirement income more than tripled, at todays value. In retrospect the two years off at 53 proved to me that I was not ready to quit. Now it is a different story, and you could not get me back to work.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
...three-on-the-column, ...
I had a friend who drove one of these. She called it "three on the tree".

I'm 50 and I remember a lot of what you listed. I've also noticed recently that some of the jingles from our era are starting to resurface. Just yesterday I heard "I am stuck on band-aid..." and realized I hadn't heard that in a long time!
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #25

I retired at 52, goofed off for almost five years, tried some consulting/contract work for a short time, helped a friend build an airplane, then stumbled into a job that is so low-stress that often the hardest part is staying awake, with an easy commute. I read a lot of library books at work, and they're okay with that.

So for the moment I am once again a productive member of society, and while I did splurge on a new motorcycle the bulk of the unplanned-for income is going to savings/investments, and my KMA hat is firmly in place.