Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Age restrictions for Roth conversion?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Age restrictions for Roth conversion?

Once you reach 70 1/2 and have to take RMD can you still make conversions to a Roth IRA?

With our combined pensions, SS, and dividends from taxable accounts I estimate that once we turn 70 1/2 the resulting addition of RMD will put us in the 25% tax bracket with more income than we need for our living expenses. Instead of taking the distribution and putting the money in a taxable account is it possible to use the RMD for a conversion to a Roth instead? Or would that not be considered taking the RMD?

I guess that is two questions. If the second question is not possible then any suggestions for how to deal with that situation are welcome.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like there is no age restriction. I found this article useful on the why / why-nots of conversion:
Post-Retirement Roth Conversion « Fairmark.com Fairmark.com
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Looks like there is no age restriction. I found this article useful on the why / why-nots of conversion:
Post-Retirement Roth Conversion « Fairmark.com Fairmark.com
Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it..........you cannot convert the RMD and since RMDs must come out first (or are considered to come out first), in order to do a conversion, you need to pull the RMD first, then pull additional funds to convert. Kind of a dilemna since you then have to worry about higher medicare B premiums if you get too high but perhaps you might want to console yourself by knowing there could be worse problems to have
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it................
Sorry, a better reference:

RMD and Roth Conversion

Quote:
People receiving required minimum distributions aren't allowed to roll them over to another IRA or retirement plan — and that means they aren't allowed to convert these payments to a Roth IRA. What's more, the IRS says the first dollars that come out of a traditional IRA in a year for which the RMD rule applies must be treated as RMD dollars. In effect, they are saying you have to satisfy the RMD requirement before you do a Roth conversion.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it..........you cannot convert the RMD and since RMDs must come out first (or are considered to come out first), in order to do a conversion, you need to pull the RMD first, then pull additional funds to convert.
That is how I understand it as well. I know a couple of folks who are in their 70's and doing ROTH conversions so that it is better for their children when they inherit them.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sorry, a better reference:

RMD and Roth Conversion
Thanks for clearing that up. I kind of figured it would work this way. Bummer!

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote