Age vs Equity/Fixed Income Split

Age 55 retired for five years.
30/70 stocks/bonds

Don't know if anyone has seen this study before but it's focus is minimizing retirement downside risk. That's been my approach; what's the least amount of stocks I can hold to support my spending needs. Works for me providing a great life without as much worry of big losses.

https://content.putnam.com/literature/pdf/PI001.pdf

It looks like a very interesting (and lengthy) article. I will read it later when I have a free moment, but could you give us a summary of what you learned from it?

67, retired
My calculation includes solid pensions (but not SS), and is 50/50.
If pensions are not included, 80/20.

57 (retired) Currently: 62% equity funds (51 domestic, 11 international), 25% SV accounts, 13% bond funds

I don't include the pension in those percentages. I do consider the SV accounts as fixed income.

I see no reason to modify this in the future, unless there is a significant lifestyle change, or the bond values drop significantly and SEC yields increase. Then may roll funds from the SV to bond funds. We draw such a low percentage annually, and that just for fun stuff. Not much point in deviating from 60 equities / 40 fixed

Last edited:
58=38/62. Small pension. 35% cash. Plan to spend down cash in early retirement; get stock to 45%.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom