Join Early Retirement Today

Ah...the smell of freedom
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah...the smell of freedom

When I sat down this morning to compare February budget to actuals I realized that we're within spitting distance of FI.

We've budgeted $95k/year for retirement spending when in reality we're only spending around $50k for all of the budget categories we'll still have in retirement. And the lower spending trend is now several months long.

What this means is that once we have the healthcare costs understood (Oct of this year) and buy our retirement home we're in a short countdown to being able to go out and play!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Congrats, Lisa99.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It smells around here too, but I don't think it's freedom...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

Congrats Lisa99 ! Spending only 50% of what you have budgeted is AWESOME ! I've published my budget a zillion times here and I'm still in awe when people list how low some budgets are comparably. I think my budget is fairly bare bones except for the 7k of "spending cash" (which includes alcohol and gas for the car).
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

Congrats! Freedom is within reach and I bet that feels wonderful.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Congrats Lisa99 ! Spending only 50% of what you have budgeted is AWESOME ! I've published my budget a zillion times here and I'm still in awe when people list how low some budgets are comparably. I think my budget is fairly bare bones except for the 7k of "spending cash" (which includes alcohol and gas for the car).
Thanks Live! We've realized that STUFF is getting in the way of our FIREing, so we've stopped the serial home renovations and we've cut way back on 'entertainment' without affecting our lifestyle.

It's been really hard to focus on work today. I've spent most of the day looking at houses online in Florida!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congrats! Freedom is within reach and I bet that feels wonderful.
Freedom is definitely in reach...now to find that FIRE in 2015 thread and add our names to it (was 2016)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I've spent most of the day looking at houses online in Florida!
any particular city / area ?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! Your plan sounds like ours - what we can safety withdraw is much more than we actually spend. Though that will all change (temporarily) with the next inevitable market correction...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

Congrats, Lisa!!
Seems like you'll have enough cushion in the budget to buy some goodies from time to time.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
any particular city / area ?
We're going next month to check out The Villages in central Florida. I know many on this site cringe at the thought, but DH is hyper social and the thought of having his pick of 1800 clubs is music to his ears.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Congrats, Lisa!!
Seems like you'll have enough cushion in the budget to buy some goodies from time to time.
The cushion will likely go for travel. I've always wanted to live in Italy for several months, so it looks like we may actually be able to do some longer-term travel while we're young and can enjoy it.

We go on at least one international trip a year now, but it's the typical two-week rushed affair...three months in one spot is a whole different ballgame.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

Well done, Lisa.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

Sweet! It sounds like you are going to have a spectacular retirement!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agrees - your retirement plans sound super!

Our retirement is more low-key (poorer), and it is still too much fun. You are gonna love it.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We're going next month to check out The Villages in central Florida. I know many on this site cringe at the thought, but DH is hyper social and the thought of having his pick of 1800 clubs is music to his ears.
We were there last wk. on the way home from a Cruise.

2 things that stuck out:

1) Traffic is bad. I think there are around 90,000 people now
2) You can pretty much go anywhere on a golf cart.

Hope you enjoy your time in fl. and congrads. on getting closer
to retirement....
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #17

Quote:
1) Traffic is bad. I think there are around 90,000 people now
2) You can pretty much go anywhere on a golf cart.
Are you saying golf cart traffic is bad? I might want to go visit just to see a golf cart traffic jam.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Congratulations on making it!...
While you're in the area, check out Legacy, Highland lakes, and Royal Highlands. Less traffic, overall, less expensive. Less than 20 miles from Villages... A ride through any of these will help in making the decision...
More "community", less anonymity. Latter two have much activity. For golfers, Royal Highlands is nice in that you don't have to make reservations a week in advance.
Kinda like a big fish in a little pond or little fish in a big pond. "Different strokes."
Not because one is better than the other, but because we've seen so many people make a decision based on a few days visit... either way, and a year or so later making another change.
We were lucky in the beginning, RV'ing and spending six weeks checking out the lifestyle and budget that we were comfortable with. In our case, being on the Chain of Lakes, and boating from our own marina was the big plus.
Good luck in finding your own Shangri-la!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #19

Quote:
In our case, being on the Chain of Lakes, and boating from our own marina was the big plus.
That sounds very appealing. Can you tell me more about where that is.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Lisa99. I think I'm within sling-shot distance myself.