Join Early Retirement Today

AIG Bailout?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AIG Bailout?

Government Mulls AIG Bailout as Options Grow More Limited. - Financials * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its happened
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/bu...hp&oref=slogin

Wonder where this ends! Is WAMU next?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Any company that wants to grow to the point of being "too big to fail" needs to be willing to accept a reasonable amount of regulation to make their chances of failing very close to zero, IMO.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #4

i agree and so does william greider: what are we getting in return?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

$85 billion! So much for the promised end to the bailout culture.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There is a big difference between WM and AIG, IMO. AIG did lots of stuff at the holding company level that caused them a liquidity crisis. WM did most everything out of bank entities, which have all the liquidity goodies that go with it: discount window access, Federal Home Loan Bank membership, etc. So unless something causes a massive run on the bank by actual depositors, its hard to see how WM will have a liquidity crisis that will cause them to suddenly fail. The $64k question for WM is whether they have so many bad loans on the book that they eventually run out of capital. I don't think anyone can guess as to whether they have enough capital with any degree of confidence, at least at this point in time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So unless something causes a massive run on the bank by actual depositors, its hard to see how WM will have a liquidity crisis that will cause them to suddenly fail.

I don't think anyone can guess as to whether they have enough capital with any degree of confidence, at least at this point in time.
There is a fair chance that the uncertainty described in the second paragraph will be the "something" mentioned in the first paragraph.

Let's hope not.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #8

With Fannie, Freddie, Merrill, and AIG, the guv is spending hundreds of billions on these bailouts, just in the past week or so. That's more than the prez said the Iraq war would cost originally. Who is making these kinds of spending decisions anyway? I haven't seen any house or senate involvement at all. Can Bush just say "Yeah we'll cover it" as he runs for the exits?
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
With Fannie, Freddie, Merrill, and AIG, the guv is spending hundreds of billions on these bailouts, just in the past week or so.
I didn't think they were involved with Merrill. BoA scooped them up.

As a follow up question, though, exactly how much money does the Fed have left to bail companies out?
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
I didn't think they were involved with Merrill. BoA scooped them up.

As a follow up question, though, exactly how much money does the Fed have left to bail companies out?
They can print an infinite amount of fiat money. The question then becomes what happens to the economy, inflation and the dollar as a result.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #11

Exactly. An empire founded on debt can't be sustained indefinitely, and the printing presses will be operating faster and faster.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They can print an infinite amount of fiat money. The question then becomes what happens to the economy, inflation and the dollar as a result.

these aren't bailouts, not even close to Chrysler in 1980. the interest on the AIG loan is 8.5% and Fannie is around 10% and the government is taking over management instead of letting the old management use the money for bonuses.

when it's over the government will just sell the stock
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
... the interest on the AIG loan is 8.5% ...
Actually, it is 8.5% over LIBOR 3 month, so it is currently 11.3%, which is over $9 billion per year in interest. In other words, the new management at AIG is under pressure to sell off the assets (insurance companies, aircraft holding company, ...) at a rapid rate and repay the loan ASAP. That is, there will be an orderly unwinding of AIG, rather than a "disordered" unwinding.

I doubt that anyone on Earth has solid knowledge about whether the Fed will lose or make money on this deal. The US made money on the Chrysler bailout in the early 1980s, and made money on the mortgage bailouts of the Depression. And lost a lot of money in the S&L fiasco of the late 1980s.

What is interesting is that Paulson, from Wall Street, is determined to "haircut" the shareholders of these companies, even those that continue to operate (Fannie & Freddie & AIG & Bear Stearns). But he doesn't seem to want to hurt those who did business with them.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #14

i think bernanke said earlier this year that the goal over the next 2 years is an ordered liquidation of any company in trouble so that it doesn't torpedo the markets.

Yahoo is saying AIG had 73% institutional ownership, so this is probably a message to the investing community to start acting like owners and not just OK the election of any director that you golf with
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

EXTRA EXTRA...read all about it...

Morningstar - MarketWatch: AIG gets Fed rescue in form of $85 billion loan
Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #16

where is Paulson's authority to do this?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
We can't let pesky inconveniences like the U.S. Constitution get in the way of the federal government's business, can we?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

All I can say is make sure to vote in November. This kind of government intervention wouldn't be happening in a Republican administration.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Sorry, I am talking off for a bit so I don't have a cite, but the fed has pretty broad powers to lend money in unusual and exigent circumstances.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #20

Section 13 (3) of the Federal Reserve Act says:

In unusual and exigent circumstances, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, by the affirmative vote of not less than five members, may authorize any Federal reserve bank, during such periods as the said board may determine, at rates established in accordance with the provisions of section 14, subdivision (d), of this Act, to discount for any individual, partnership, or corporation, notes, drafts, and bills of exchange when such notes, drafts, and bills of exchange are indorsed or otherwise secured to the satisfaction of the Federal Reserve bank: Provided, That before discounting any such note, draft, or bill of exchange for an individual, partnership, or corporation the Federal reserve bank shall obtain evidence that such individual, partnership, or corporation is unable to secure adequate credit accommodations from other banking institutions. All such discounts for individuals, partnerships, or corporations shall be subject to such limitations, restrictions, and regulations as the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System may prescribe.