Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

AIG: Your taxpayer dollars at work
Old 10-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

AIG: Your taxpayer dollars at work

AIG execs went on $500K retreat within days of taxpayer bailout

Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., described what investigators found during a hearing this morning on Capitol Hill:
Quote:
After the bailout of AIG last month, the United States government effectively bought an 80% share in the company. That should have caused a fundamental change, you would think, in how the company was spending funds on compensation, bonuses and benefits. But it doesn't look like that's what happened. The committee learned that shortly after the bailout went through, executives from AIG's major U.S. life insurance subsidiary, AIG American General, held a week-long conference at an exclusive resort in California.

The resort is called the St. Regis Monarch Beach. ... It's very impressive. This is an exclusive resort. The rooms start, gentlemen, at $425 a night. Some are more than $1,200 a night.

... We contacted the resort where AIG held this week-long event, and we requested copies of AIG's bills. We learned that AIG spent nearly $500,000 in a single week at the -- at this hotel. Now, this was right after the bailout.

... Let me describe some of the -- the charges that -- that the shareholders who are now U.S. taxpayers had to pay. Check this out.

AIG spent $200,000 for hotel rooms, and almost $150,000 for catered banquets. AIG spent -- listen to this one -- $23,000 at the hotel spa and another $1,400 at the salon. They were getting their manicures, their facials, their pedicures and their massages while the American people were -- were footing the bill.

And they spent another $10,000 for -- I don't know what this is -- leisure dining.
"...another member of the panel explained that "leisure dining" means they drank at a bar."

Guess they figured they were toast anyhow, might as well have one last fling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wait a second! Corporate executives like to spend shareholder money on frivolous activities and opulent surroundings?

Somebody sound the alarm!
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #3

The cool thing about the interwebs is that you can actually see a copy of the $450,000 bill from the hotel:

http://oversight.house.gov/documents/20081007102513.pdf

To be fair, it was reported that this event was scheduled a year ago and was used as an incentive for the top 10% of salesmen, not just a bunch of execs on a corporate retreat. If you have employees who have worked to hit their numbers all year in pursuit of a bonus and then you yank it out from under them at the last minute, I'm sure most of your best performers are going to start looking for other employment - and if the best employees leave, how are the taxpayers going to get their $85B back? Regardless, it certainly looks bad for AIG.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
To be fair, it was reported that this event was scheduled a year ago and was used as an incentive for the top 10% of salesmen, not just a bunch of execs on a corporate retreat.
My employer has sent me to a couple of those. These things are planned and sometimes paid for well in advance, but yeah, the timing on this is terrible.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
To be fair, it was reported that this event was scheduled a year ago and was used as an incentive for the top 10% of salesmen, not just a bunch of execs on a corporate retreat. If you have employees who have worked to hit their numbers all year in pursuit of a bonus and then you yank it out from under them at the last minute
You'll forgive me if I don't really give a sh*t. The fact that they still went on this "retreat" is ridiculous. I think the $85 billion bailout should be all the incentive the top salespeople need at this point.
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #6

Tax dollars spent on a crazy war or this. Who cares
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., described what investigators found during a hearing this morning on Capitol Hill:
Are the politicians outraged-- or just envious?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #8

Reminds me of a silly, fun book I just finished reading:

Amazon.com: Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working: Stanley Bing: Books

Ignore the poor amazon reviews - for the most part the reviewers thought they were getting yet another biz self-help book. Instead, Bing delivers a thoroughly irreverent and highly tough-in-cheek (almost to the point of gagging) look at executive life. Recommended.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote