Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Now, another possibility is that eventually there will be some sort of "means testing" for social security and/or medicare, and those with assets will be expected to receive less from the government, but getting legislation like that passed will create such a political firestorm that I see it as only a remote possibility.

LadyPatriot
Well, as I understand it (forget the details), but taxes on SS went up at some point, right? So that was a somewhat back door adjustment.

If the people being taxed are in the minority (as it appears those who planned for a comfortable retirement are), then those in office may not care what the minority sees as 'fair'. Tax the minority to gain the votes of the majority. Political firestorm in name only.

Not a prediction, I'm just sayin'.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never underestimate the avarice of your elected official. Why do you think 50% of the population don't pay taxes? The government can raise user fees, cut the tax brakes corporations get i.e. the corporation will pay more taxes and collect those from you and me, raise user fees, reduce deduction i.e close loop holes, means test, extend age requirements, reduce benefits, and so on. The goal of the average professional politician is to play to the rich enough to get money for campaign while buying sufficient votes from the poor to get re-elected.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Why? How? Honestly, I'm not being confrontational, but I don't understand why other boomers' poor planning will affect me or cause me any "rude awakenings." Perhaps you're seeing something I'm not.
Boomers not retiring = more young people unable to find a decent job = more lousy economy, higher expenditures in unemployment benefits and other social programs = more young adults living with Mom and/or Dad well into their mid-20s and beyond.

There are plenty of ways it affects many of us even if we are prepared to retire at a decent age ourselves. None of us are in a vacuum.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Boomers not retiring = more young people unable to find a decent job = more lousy economy, higher expenditures in unemployment benefits and other social programs = more young adults living with Mom and/or Dad well into their mid-20s and beyond.

There are plenty of ways it affects many of us even if we are prepared to retire at a decent age ourselves. None of us are in a vacuum.
Add to that - A college education is increasingly important to enter the job market, and education costs have outpaced inflation. So this puts a real stretch on the younger generation, compared to previous generations. Invest all that money/time on an education, and then graduate into a tough, tough job market. Not a pretty picture. A friend of my sons graduated with a degree in Construction Management in 2004 - oops, bad timing. He's having a tough time. I feel for these kids.

-ERD50
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Why? How? Honestly, I'm not being confrontational, but I don't understand why other boomers' poor planning will affect me or cause me any "rude awakenings." Perhaps you're seeing something I'm not.

LadyPatriot
It’s a new version of the Ant and the Grasshopper fable. In the new version the ant (boomers who saved) and the grasshopper (boomers who didn’t) follow a similar path as in the original tale. The ant does everything right - saves, spends below his means, lives a relatively frugal life during the accumulation phase in order to have a comfortable retirement. The grasshopper doesn’t do squat about saving and enjoys living a life of luxury with the understanding the “government” will take care of him/her in the later years.

Time passes and the ant takes early retirement and enjoys all the things financially independent retirement has to offer. The grasshopper complains to the lobbyists about how unfair it is the grasshoppers have to continue working while the ant enjoys a life of leisure.

The lobbyists put pressure on the legislatures that their poor misunderstood grasshopper shouldn’t be penalized for not saving for retirement. After all, it just wasn’t his fault. He had mortgages and new car payments and boat payments and private school for the kiddos and trips several times a year and it took a lot of money to live the lifestyle they deserved. It just wasn’t fair the ant had everything going into retirement while the grasshopper had nothing.

So the government, in their infinite wisdom, said the ant should subsidize the grasshopper. The ant would pay hefty taxes on their retirement funds in order to help the grasshopper retire in reasonable comfort. So the ant cuts back on expenses in order to live within the reduced financial means and the grasshopper kicks the spending up a notch. After all, if he really gets in over his head financially he can file bankruptcy (which is another penalty in the way of increased prices for goods and services). The grasshopper’s motto is “nothing ventured, nothing gained”.

At this point the ant sells everything and moves to a small island off the coast of wherever. The grasshopper moves into a government housing project and survives on food stamps and Medicare and continues to whine about how unfair things are for him. Meanwhile, the ant sits on the veranda enjoying the cool breeze coming in off the ocean. He pops the top off a cold beer and doesn’t give a d@mn about anything. Because, after all, he is finally FIREd.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
. Why do you think 50% of the population don't pay taxes?
Untrue. 50% of the population doesn't owe FIT. I can't imagine how a person would live in this country and not pay taxes.

Hurt's your story, I know.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Come on! Employment tax is similar to having a firm deduct for a pension. You are paying for a direct future benefit. Yea, I also know the courts say it is not guaranteed, so you can save your little fingers on that argument. They also pay sales tax and they pay the increased prices to corporations so they can send it to the government. It does not alter the fact that over 50% of the people do not pay income tax, a point I feel fairly sure you knew I was making, so the gotcha had little effect! But if it make you feel better, to say 'Yea, but they pay FICA' well OK.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Closed Thread