Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Spending money to throw things away? I use the plastic shopping bags - use a office size waste paper basket - the plastic bags fit around the opening - fill and throw away - repeat as necessary.
Well, I recycle drinking straws, does that exonerate me from my trashbag habit?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I LOVE Trader Joe's selections on peanut butter, olive oil, organic mayo, rice crackers, kosher meats, I could go on and on...

However, Aldi's has great quality and great prices on soaps and paper products that TJ's just doesn't have.

Trader Joe's is considered an upscale grocery store; Aldi's is not.

When we moved two years ago, I insisted we move near a Trader Joe's. DH thinks TJ's is a cult!
Yeah when I was back in the midwest went to Aldi's. They do have really good prices. We have a place called Food 4 less. But I dont think its up to par with Aldi

Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Even our Walmart is an old fashioned one without food.
I sure wish we still had our old one like that!!! They built a new & (supposedly) improved "Super Walmart" across the interstate from the old one (which they closed). They have a larger volume of items, but a much lower variety of items than the old one did. When we've been there to get something, we'd hunt and search for it, then IF we could find an employee, we'd asked them.....9 times out of 10 they'd respond with "Yeah, we had that at the old store, but we don't carry it here." or else they'd just stare at us as if we were speaking Swahili or something.

I never really cared for WM to start with, but our "Super Walmart" should be renamed "Super Waste of Time".
Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We never get anything good. No Aldis. No Trader Joes. No Costco. Even our Walmart is an old fashioned one without food.
Really! Surely, you can't be in the boonies like my 2nd home in the AZ high country.

No Aldi here, but I like Trader Joe. Have been shopping Costco less and less, as we eat less and less as we age - isn't that built in to FIRECalc? - and Costco's portions are too big for us now.

Recently we also go to "Fresh n Easy". Smaller portions, plus the store is new so they have specials all the time to get new customers.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Between the thread about SS and this one about Aldi's, I feel a whole lot better about my future!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We don't have a Walmart close enough to us to frequent--when we've shopped at out-of-town Wallyworlds, we've been impressed with their grocery prices. Their groceries seem to turn over frequently so everything is very fresh and the selection is amazing (the Walmart in DH's hometown has run the local family grocers out of business but hey, welcome to the real world of today). There's a Target with some groceries that is closer but they do not get enough shoppers to keep the grocery merchandise moving and it's dusty.

Aldi's opened up several stores in the Chicago suburbs over the last couple of years--brand new, clean, bright, freestanding buildings. It actually reminds me of a mini-warehouse store, and I like being able to get in and out in ten minutes (including shopping for Thanksgiving) and saving 30 to 40 percent on average.

Of course today it is cool to bring your own grocery bags even to the upscale Whole Foods (and those "free" plastic bags could soon be a thing of the past if other stores follow WF's lead: Whole Foods Sacks Plastic Bags)

So Aldi's = another option for LBYMing, for sure!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We don't have a Walmart close enough to us to frequent--when we've shopped at out-of-town Wallyworlds, we've been impressed with their grocery prices. Their groceries seem to turn over frequently so everything is very fresh and the selection is amazing (the Walmart in DH's hometown has run the local family grocers out of business but hey, welcome to the real world of today). There's a Target with some groceries that is closer but they do not get enough shoppers to keep the grocery merchandise moving and it's dusty.

Aldi's opened up several stores in the Chicago suburbs over the last couple of years--brand new, clean, bright, freestanding buildings. It actually reminds me of a mini-warehouse store, and I like being able to get in and out in ten minutes (including shopping for Thanksgiving) and saving 30 to 40 percent on average.

Of course today it is cool to bring your own grocery bags even to the upscale Whole Foods (and those "free" plastic bags could soon be a thing of the past if other stores follow WF's lead: Whole Foods Sacks Plastic Bags)

So Aldi's = another option for LBYMing, for sure!
Im impressed with grocery prices anywhere outside of California.. A saying Ive heard about Whole Foods out here. Its called Whole Paycheck Ive shopped there once.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im impressed with grocery prices anywhere outside of California.. A saying Ive heard about Whole Foods out here. Its called Whole Paycheck Ive shopped there once.
I agree - I think Whole Foods meat and produce is about double the price of Trader Joe's.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an Aldi less then 2 miles from our home. So far all we have bought there is cat litter and chocolate. Our cat is diabetic and goes through 20lbs of litter a week. The litter at Aldi's is half the price and clomps up very well.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

the Aldi's near me is very small. their produce is awful. they carry no fresh meat. they also don't take credit cards, only debit. most of their stuff is high salt, high fat processed food-in-a-box. it's not as conveniently located as my mom-n-pop and dollar type stores, which are 2 miles closer to my usual driving route. if i'm on that side of town anyway, i go there once in a while for frozen seafood or canned goods i can't get as cheaply elsewhere.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
the Aldi's near me is very small. their produce is awful. they carry no fresh meat. they also don't take credit cards, only debit. most of their stuff is high salt, high fat processed food-in-a-box. it's not as conveniently located as my mom-n-pop and dollar type stores, which are 2 miles closer to my usual driving route. if i'm on that side of town anyway, i go there once in a while for frozen seafood or canned goods i can't get as cheaply elsewhere.
I think if you look at some of the other things that you take for granted at WalMart or other stores, such as aspirin, vitamin e, paper products, body wash, body lotion, etc., you will be impressed. I also think their cheeses are good quality.

However, their frozen fish is all from China, at least at ours in the Northeast (don't buy that).

You need to check out the new "COOL" - Congress actually did something good for us for a change - that means "country of original label", meaning the food is labeled as to where it comes from.

The sugary foods and fruity drinks are something that turned me off the first time I went to Aldi's.

My eyes were opened when I tried their paper products and body lotions and stuff.

Try it again for those non-perishable everyday items and try to keep an open mind and I think you'll be impressed.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #32
Administrator

This thread is so interesting and helpful. I have never been in an Aldi's, and in fact I have only seen one in my life. That Aldi's is in the town where I intend to retire. So, I will know something about that Aldi's before moving there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Try it again for those non-perishable everyday items and try to keep an open mind and I think you'll be impressed.
i will. i suspect each Aldi's carries it's own choice of goods, hence the difference in perceptions. i did buy some yogurts, only to find out they all expired in 3 days. we ate them very quickly. my lettuce went bad in short order, so i had to throw it away. it looked fine when i bought it.
BTW, i hate walmart too.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i will. i suspect each Aldi's carries it's own choice of goods, hence the difference in perceptions. i did buy some yogurts, only to find out they all expired in 3 days. we ate them very quickly. my lettuce went bad in short order, so i had to throw it away. it looked fine when i bought it.
BTW, i hate walmart too.
I have seen salad for sale at Aldi's, ($1.19) - buy 1 get 1 free, expiring the next day. I couldn't eat 2 salads in one day.

If I was having a dinner party that night, it would have been a great deal.

The premise of Aldi's is what is so interesting.

They are not trying to be all things to all people and also are not trying to be a cheap, knock-off of Walmart.

This is a new experience - they are attempting to have very high quality items for very low prices. You have to pick through their items to find them. Some items are crappy sugary stuff meant for children. One needs to take one's time and look further. They have some name brand items but the majority items are Aldi's brand items, which carry a double-your-money back guarantee if you don't find them equal or superior to NAME BRANDS.

It is not a dollar store or an oddlot store.

The first time I went there I was annoyed that they wouldn't let me pack my own stuff - you have to realize that they are trained to pack your stuff back in your cart. You have to pack it later (and get your quarter back).
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We never get anything good. No Aldis. No Trader Joes. No Costco. Even our Walmart is an old fashioned one without food.
We've got nothing either. No Aldis, No Trader Joes, no BJ's, no Wild Oats, no Whole Foods... We have to drive to B'Ham or Nashville to get the good stuff...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

The reason that Aldi's only takes debit or cash is they don't have to pay credit card fees, so they can pass the savings on to the consumer. You pay a quarter to use their carts (which you get back when you return it). There is a big notice on the cart that "if you take the cart past the yellow line, the wheels will lock".
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
We've got nothing either. . . no BJ's, ... We have to drive to B'Ham or Nashville to get the good stuff...

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #38

There's an Aldis here in Janesville, WI where we just moved to from down south. Never been in the place, but now I guess we'll have to at least check it out. The store's about a mile from my house. I'd seen the sign & store, but honestly didn't even know what kind of business it was.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know about your area, but our Mayor is active in trying to bring new businesses to our town and surrounding area..
I have family in Columbia, MO where the population is just now pushing 100k. The word out there is that this is a tipping point, beyond which many national chains including the Trader Joe, Whole Foods will start snooping around. Also, that is a population which will support the local restaurant industry, better stores, etc.

My DD thinks that this is exactly what's happening. My guess is that real progress will be delayed until after the Recession of 08, but it will happen.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have been shoping at aldi's for years and love them. You have to go slow a first so you don't miss some of the products. We try to get everything we can at aldi's.