Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Its not cold and lower cost of living. The death part I can handle. I used to live in Ohio.
Texas has the most miserably hot, scorching summers I have ever lived through. And this is coming from someone who is living in New Orleans!! Our backyard there was full of brown recluse spiders, that rot your flesh if you get bit. There was arsenic in the drinking water from the old cotton gin nearby. And there were more airborne allergens there than any place you can imagine. Even though we lived in town there were field mice everywhere, and snakes, and a possum had babies under our deck!

(pssst... REWahoo, was that good? )

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Texas has the most miserably hot, scorching summers I have ever lived through. And this is coming from someone who is living in New Orleans!! Our backyard there was full of brown recluse spiders, that rot your flesh if you get bit. There was arsenic in the drinking water from the old cotton gin nearby. And there were more airborne allergens there than any place you can imagine. Even though we lived in town there were field mice everywhere, and snakes, and a possum had babies under our deck!

Better watch out for them ice and snow storms in Missouri Oh chiggers and ticks you need to keep your yard sprayed for...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think there are Aldis in AZ.

By the way, you may wonder why I would not move to these places myself.

The real reason is this: I love to be near the water. The Chinese say some people personality is like the mountain, some like the ocean. I guess I am the latter type.

By the way, these are nice green places with pine trees. Same as my mountain home which is at even higher elevations.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Better watch out for them ice and snow storms in Missouri
At least they won't be hot! There's an Aldi's in Springfield, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Oh man! We have no Aldi's but also none of those scary things in Texas and Missouri.

Come on over!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't think there are Aldis in AZ.

By the way, you may wonder why I would not move to these places myself.

The real reason is this: I love to be near the water. The Chinese say some people personality is like the mountain, some like the ocean. I guess I am the latter type.

By the way, these are nice green places with pine trees. Same as my mountain home which is at even higher elevations.
I could live in Lake Tahoe. However Im not much on the winters. I prefer oaks and maples over pine trees myself.

W2R- good point also got the Bass Pro shop
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh I wonder if they have Aldi's
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could live in Lake Tahoe. However Im not much on the winters. I prefer oaks and maples over pine trees myself.
Tahoe is as low cost as Prescott? Been in AZ all my life, but just from this forum, we have about the lowest real-estate taxes, and even with recent price run-ups, about median in housing costs. There's not much of a winter in Prescott and Payson. I guess the pines are just better native plants than oaks and maples. Don't know why, being no botanist.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like you I believe there is a sweet spot for altitude in the SW where both the summers and winters are bearable and the rest is perfect.

In Arizona Payson would surely qualify for me, plus it has the advantage of driving an 30 minutes North can be 10 degrees cooler, an hour South can be 10 degrees hotter. Plus I think that's absolutely lovely country up there, which I'm sure you know with your boonie-crib (Strawberry? Pinetop?)

A cheaper option (I'm assuming at least I know there was a mining resurgence) would be Miami/Globe, although I get the impression that area isn't for everyone. Good weather though and a relatively quick drive into Phoenix metro.

I've never been to Bisbee but have heard people rave about it, none of whom has spent more than a weekend so taken with grain of salt that could chase Indiana Jones.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #70

Well, Aldi's here in Germany is awesome- yes, you have to put an euro in to use the cart - you have to do that everywhere here (all stores) - you do get it back - yes, you have to bring your own grocery bags - that's the way they do it over here.

However, the prices can't be beat - the selection is fair - they do run out, but the quality is very good. Most of the stores here in Europe are small to begin with as compared to those in the States - they don't stock 1000 of an item on the shelf, more like 20-30 - however, I've seen much more variety just due to the cultural and food difference in an Italian store or Norwegian store than I've seen in a store int he US that's 5 times larger.

As for prices - even with the fluctuating exchange rate, the price for cheeses, milk, cleaning items, baking items and their blowout specials beat the Army Commissary hands down.

TJs and Aldi are run by brothers - as I understand it (read an article about them in WSJ or NYT a few years ago), they were both in some of the German camps during WWII - one brother stayed in Germany, the other went to the US - the stores are privately owned.

I am also a devout TJs fan - I do miss it here in Germany, but will be getting my TJs fix next week when I visit the US....also my Rubios fix, but that's another story :-)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Its not cold and lower cost of living. The death part I can handle. I used to live in Ohio.
No gloating please. There are those of us who STILL live in Ohio!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
No gloating please. There are those of us who STILL live in Ohio!
Sorry its a great state. I do miss my Walleye.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting back to "Aldi's" and away from "The Weather Channel" (start a new thread on climate or location, please) check out their crazy specials in their stores. While Aldi is primarily a low-priced grocery, they also sell the darnedest things weekly, everything from computers (for cheap cheap cheap) to camping gear and slow-cookers. Check out their website for the current week's and "next week's" specials on their website. I don't believe they advertise in the weekly flyers in your lcoal paper so you need to do your own research! They are actively expanding their locations throughout the country (and the WORLD). Talk to your local pol's to see about courting an Aldi's to your hometown.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #74

WOW....Aldi's in Germany...that's a stunner for me since every one I've been to (in IN and MD) is in a modest neighborhood. The store layout fits nicely in the older smaller footprint stores abandoned by the big chains, and I am still surprised to see them building new stores in strip mall type locations. Sparky is right about the miscellaneous specials too. Aldi's could easily fit in the "Ridiculed for Being Cheap" thread as most people in my family and friends and even acquaintances give disapproving looks when I mention them.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Not only are Aldi's in The USA and Germany, but 16 other countries (so far) and counting. Here is a link to their website highlighting their locations. Click on the countries to view the wild and wacky products carried around the world!

Welcome to ALDI
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Aldi's are not in fancy neighborhoods - I never heard of them before reading an article about them in September in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/bu...HAVtB7x6tv8Cig

But, Aldi's has changed my life - in spite of my stock losses and reduced SWR, Aldi's has allowed me to buy staples at more than 50% off their normal rate and given me confidence in my budget going forward...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Aldi is owned by two brothers, Theo and Karl Albrecth. They are the richest people in Germany. Aldi products were reviewed millions of times in Germany since they are mostly cheaper than the competition. As far as I remember their products were always found to be brand name products without the name printed on the packaging.

The shopping cart does not really 'cost' you anything. You just need a quarter to borrow the cart and get it back when you return the cart. It encourages people to return the carts to the proper location. It always works, at least here in South Carolina.

Their policy of no plastic bags comes from their home base in Germany. Most European countries outlawed one-time use plastic bags for environmental purposes. If you need a reason for this check: "The great pacific garbage patch"
Quote: "In reality, the rogue bag would float into a sewer, follow the storm drain to the ocean, then make its way to the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch - a heap of debris floating in the Pacific that's twice the size of Texas, according to marine biologists." Continent-size toxic stew of plastic trash fouling swath of Pacific Ocean
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
G...check out their crazy specials in their stores. While Aldi is primarily a low-priced grocery, they also sell the darnedest things weekly, everything from computers (for cheap cheap cheap) to camping gear and slow-cookers. ...

I agree! The first time I visited an Aldi's, they had small furniture pieces (step stools, framed mirrors, end tables) for stupidly low prices! I bought a framed mirror that has four bins at the bottom and hooks below for hanging keys, etc. for $15 -- beautifully finished all wood, no cardboard or fiberboard -- perfect for the back hall. A few weeks later, the Pottery Barn catalog had the identical item for $129!!

This week Aldi is selling a 6 gallon, 3.5 HP air compressor with 16 accessories for $99.99 -- DH looked at it and was impressed.

Oh, and Aldi's food is as good or better than about 99% of the major chains...their frozen pizza is a bit disappointing, though.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
For example, I bought either Hefty or Glad tall kitchen trash bags at Walmart for an unbelievably low price. When I got them home, I saw that the .MIL rate (thickness) was .69. I basically had to double them to hold our daily household trash.

After that, the local grocery stores for trash bags with a .90 MIL.

I bought Aldi's tall kitchen trash bags (56 for $6.50) - the MIL rate is .95 (higher rate is stronger).

Come to think of it, I was unhappy when I bought the trash bags, too.
All else has been good though.

Free