Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
2006-2007: lobbied (unsuccessfully) to have my "retirement money" (trust funds) moved to move conservative investing. Failed. One trust fund moved to new manager (at higher fees, of course). Too soon to tell if my lobbying will have any effect. It's not really fair to expect them to do anything other than invest in stocks, bonds and "cash." Point on my side: my fears about MBS, commercial paper, etc. vice Treasuries sound a bit less paranoid in late 2008 than they did in late 2006.

Things I can control: In EARLY 2004 I cashed out a small IRA and netted maybe $50K. Nearly all of which soon went into gold coins. Since then, I've added slightly to that position. This is my disaster hedge. Also bought a .38 last year. i plan to stock up on some canned goods too (a good idea in hurricane country -- FL.)

No telling what the future holds. I'd love to see my gold drop in value, and stocks come back. At this stage I think Dow 3000 is more likely than seeing 14000 any time soon. That will be the time to buy stocks.

I've got nothing against an honest day's work, provided that someone else does it.
pedorrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado
I've hesitated replying to this thread, because I've felt bad for so many others that have been hurt so bad by the economic downturn. As a result, I am typically silent on this subject. However, since this is what this thread is about....For 2008, my portfolio actually increased 30%+. I pretty much got out of everything in March of 2008. Then in the fall I purchased some ETF's that were 2x inverse of the DOW and also some S&P put options. For 2009, I'm down 3% and am currently all in cash, hoping for an opportunity to get back in at some point.

TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Week Lehman Failed
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets
The Week Lehman Failed

When Lehman Brothers closed, I remember watching the employees bringing boxes into the office on Sunday night (covered live by CNBC) I threw in the towel, Friday 9/19/2008. I was very uncomfortable having everything I have worked for and saved over 20 years at that much risk with no end in sight.

I am not an experienced investor, went with a gut instinct "Live to Fight another Day" and sold all mutual funds in my 401k and my wife's 401k and put the proceeds into a stable cash value fund in both plans.Got out of the way for a couple of months missing about 35-40% decline.

100% Equity in 401k.
70% Vanguard VPMCX ($69.49 per share)
23% Vanguard VEXPX ($60.88 per share)
7% Company Stock (Gas & Elec utility) (Did not sell)

12/2008 Started to DCA into these funds

Company Stock 5%
55% Stable Value Fund

sanman12 is offline   Reply With Quote