Join Early Retirement Today

All in expense ratio
Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All in expense ratio

I’ve been running searches for threads discussing ‘realistic’ expense ratios. I didn’t find a lot but that could easily be user error. I also tried to figure out how to make a poll but that didn’t work out either.

I know Firecalc has a default setting of .18 for expense ratio. I have seen comments where people referenced meeting or even going below that. I’m at .28 and with a couple of changes maintain my roughly 60/40 AA and get it down to .19.

Trouble with that is, based on published returns for the specific funds involved, last years performance would have been .5% lower. I recognize that past performance is no guarantee for the future but not sure what else to use.

Running my situation through various scenarios with expense ratio as the only variable in Firecalc each .1% seems to have a 1-1.5% variance in survivability. In my case, not a make it or break it factor. I think I’ve reached the point of diminishing returns for the amount of brain cells and time I’ve used up thinking about this.

So, my question for the community is, what is a ‘reasonable’ expense ratio? For anyone that uses outside help, exclude that fee. For people that roll their own portfolio with no fund managers, count your trading fees as the expense ratio.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My weighted average is 0.02%. But that is because I include in my weighted average a negative expense ratio on my cash, because it's earning 1.45%. That may not be a fair way to look at it.

My money is all in VTSAX and VBTLX, which I are 4 and 5 basis points, respectively. I don't trade in general, but when I do, it's free, so I have zero trading fees. I use no outside investment help other than the free consultation at Vanguard.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
So, my question for the community is, what is a ‘reasonable’ expense ratio? For anyone that uses outside help, exclude that fee. For people that roll their own portfolio with no fund managers, count your trading fees as the expense ratio.

Thanks in advance.
Ours is .17, and as a boglehead, I consider that on the high side. One of the reasons it's at that level is my 401K plan; sometimes you just don't have cheap options available.

After I quit my job (I'm a part timer right now), and roll that 401K over to Vanguard or Fidelity, I should be able to get the ratio under .10, which is where I think it should be.

PS - don't look at one year's returns when determining if a high expense ratio is "worth it". Especially a year like last year.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our cost is at 0.07% but I think anything below 0.25% is good.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My weighted average is 0.02%. But that is because I include in my weighted average a negative expense ratio on my cash, because it's earning 1.45%. That may not be a fair way to look at it. ....
That is definitely NOT the way to look at it. For my online cash I would use 0.00% ER, though in reality it is an unknown amount embedded in the 1.45%.

Same with my 3% PenFed CDs... ER is 0.00% but is an unknown embedded in the 3%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

Unless there are mitigating factors (such as 401k funds that you can't choose which don't have low ERs), I'd say having an overall ER at or above 0.1% would be excessive and unnecessary.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
...I think anything below 0.25% is good.
+1

Of course lower is always better, provided you are invested the way you want to be.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

I would venture to guess that FIREcalc used 0.18% as the default may be because that was the ER of the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (Investor Shares) back in the day, and it was considered quite good at the time. As others mentioned, you can do much better these days.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My weighted average is 0.02%. But that is because I include in my weighted average a negative expense ratio on my cash, because it's earning 1.45%. That may not be a fair way to look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That is definitely NOT the way to look at it. For my online cash I would use 0.00% ER, though in reality it is an unknown amount embedded in the 1.45%.
Negative expense ratio is an interesting way to look at it. I looked up the overnight rate at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/GA-FI...htRateDate.htm and it is 1.37% today, so arguably you are at a -0.08% on your cash.

But that is only if your cash is truly in overnight funds (a bank savings or checking account). For example, Vanguard Money Market Prime shows an ER of 0.16% with a current yield of 1.50% and an average maturity of 47 days.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

Our weighted average ER is 0.12%. About half the portfolio is VTI and AGG at 0.04% and 0.05% respectively. Another 30% is right around 0.12%, like VNQ (REIT) and several international ETFs. What drives it up are HYG (0.49%) and an old legacy ETF in the taxable account with huge embedded CGs, and an ER of 0.38%. I include our small rental property and cash at 0%. If I exclude those, the weighted average is 0.13%.

I trade maybe 4 or 5 times per year and much of that is free (iShares ETFs at Fidelity). Vanguard ETFs cost $4.95 to trade at Fidelity, which is completely inconsequential in the ER calculation. No advisor or any other fees.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

60/40, .07% all up.

Mostly Vanguard and my 401k at Fidelity.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #12

According to my Vanguard Portfolio Watch view I'm at .08 overall. I have one actively managed fund in a taxable account which I've had for decades and I don't want to sell it and incur capital gains just to move the money to an index fund. Otherwise it would probably be a bit lower.

The international index funds all seem to be north of .10, but since most of us only hold a minority share of those, it should be easy enough to keep the overall ratio below .10 if you're a true indexer.

Vanguard does not include any cash holdings in their calculations.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
So, my question for the community is, what is a ‘reasonable’ expense ratio?
Hard to say if there is an answer to that. "Reasonable" would depend on how you see it. For example, someone with an FA charging 1.5% of AUM might think that's very reasonable because the FA produces a great total return. Others might think that's not reasonable at all.

Quote:
I think anything below 0.25% is good.
I would agree with that. Personally, my overall is 0.08% and I'm very happy with that. A couple of years ago it was well over half a percent and I've been whittling it down steadily.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our cost is at 0.07% but I think anything below 0.25% is good.
Agree. I wouldn’t sweat it if ER is under 0.25%
Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Negative expense ratio is an interesting way to look at it. I looked up the overnight rate at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/GA-FI...htRateDate.htm and it is 1.37% today, so arguably you are at a -0.08% on your cash.

But that is only if your cash is truly in overnight funds (a bank savings or checking account). For example, Vanguard Money Market Prime shows an ER of 0.16% with a current yield of 1.50% and an average maturity of 47 days.
Most of my cash is in a plain vanilla Alliant Credit Union savings account. Last I checked it was paying 1.45%; they've been bumping the rate up a little bit recently like everywhere else. It's not the best, but I don't have that much and it's not worth the hassle for me to move.

@pb4uski, you're right, I was double counting the 1.45% - first, as a negative expense ratio in my weighting, and second, as the return on my cash when I ran simulations. I removed the negative expense ratio weighting part, so now my portfolio ER is 0.05%.

(Since I am at a 2.9% gross withdrawal rate and probably about a 1.5% net withdrawal rate, I'm not going to go back to work just yet to cover those additional 3 basis points.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Agree. I wouldn’t sweat it if ER is under 0.25%
Maybe not worth sweating, but I see VTI is 0.04% and BND is 0.05%. So say 0.045% for a 50-50 AA.

The difference between 0.25% and 0.045% on a $1M portfolio is $2,050 each year. Considering how easy it is to choose the low ER funds, it's an easy $2,050 per year. I think most of us routinely put in a lot more effort than that to save far less. And this savings keeps repeating itself, and grows as your portfolio grows.

Unless you have taxable gains to worry about, it seems like a no-sweat action.

Hmm, I hold some BRK in my taxable account, to limit divs for ROTH conversions. I guess it doesn't have an "ER" as such?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Y'all make me look.

Currently, only 12% of my stash is in MF, and the rest is self-managed in individual stocks. If I take the transaction costs reported by Quicken, and divide that into the self-managed portion, I get 0.07%.

That's pretty low for being an active investor. I pay $3 per option trade. The stock trades are free, unless they are by option assignment then it's $7.

PS. I also have quite a bit of ETF in that self-managed portion. They of course have expenses compared to individual stocks, so my total ER is definitely higher than that 0.07%.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #18

I'm at 0.17 now. Why isn't it lower?

- Most of my funds run from 0.05 to 0.14%
- But I have about 10% of my portfolio in FLPSX (e/r at 0.68) in a taxable account. Sold it all a couple of years ago in my rollover IRA, but I don't want to incur a capital gain hit in my taxable account since I'm not yet retired, so there it remains. I do redirect dividends/cap gains elsewhere, though
- I own IJJ which is e/r of 0.25%
- I own SCZ which is 0.4%
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe not worth sweating, but I see VTI is 0.04% and BND is 0.05%. So say 0.045% for a 50-50 AA.

The difference between 0.25% and 0.045% on a $1M portfolio is $2,050 each year. Considering how easy it is to choose the low ER funds, it's an easy $2,050 per year. I think most of us routinely put in a lot more effort than that to save far less. And this savings keeps repeating itself, and grows as your portfolio grows.

Unless you have taxable gains to worry about, it seems like a no-sweat action.

Hmm, I hold some BRK in my taxable account, to limit divs for ROTH conversions. I guess it doesn't have an "ER" as such?

-ERD50
Well sure, lots of folks here jump through multiple hoops to save $2000 a year, and it’s easy to get a portiofolio ER down below 0.05% these days.

But darn those pesky capital gains taxes!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well sure, lots of folks here jump through multiple hoops to save $2000 a year, and it’s easy to get a portiofolio ER down below 0.05% these days.

But darn those pesky capital gains taxes!
One way I like to think about it is to put the dollar amount in terms of how many weeks of expenses is the e/r equivalent to this year?
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote