Join Early Retirement Today

All set to go shopping
Old 05-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All set to go shopping

I've sampled some discount equities thus far, but I haven't really jumped in yet. I just liquidated the remains of my EFA position and I am all set to buy some absurdly cheap stuff. But I am waiting for just a little wider discount. Anyone else?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: All set to go shopping
Old 05-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Waiting another week, maybe two.

I think its not done yet.

But I think its just an overreaction to an overbought market slidind into a moderately oversold one. I think we'll get good bargains around thursday/friday of this week...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Waiting another week, maybe two.

I think its not done yet.

But I think its just an overreaction to an overbought market slidind into a moderately oversold one.* I think we'll get good bargains around thursday/friday of this week...
Agreed. I will be looking for an opportune time to dump my QQQQ puts when it drops to about 37, and that is about the time I expect to put cash to work. Actually, I see a couple of things I will jump on very soon, but I have some restrictions to wait out.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sure, some stuff's had a real hammering already.

"PENNYS IS HAVING A SALE!!!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have $110,000 in Vanguard's Prime MM in an IRA account.* Ready to move into Mutual funds.
Just waiting for the right time.* I might DCA, might just go ahead and buy what I want.*

I'm still trying to decide exactly what to buy.* Any suggestions?* I won't touch the money for at least 6 years when I'm 59.5 .....hopefully a lot longer.

So far I'm looking at the following funds: Wellington, Wellesley, Total Int'l indx, Sm value Index, Small cap index, large val indx, large cap indx and maybe the reit index and a bond indx. Maybe also Tot stock market or 500 indx. I do have a Roth IRA with the Target 2015.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I have $110,000 in Vanguard's Prime MM in an IRA account.* Ready to move into Mutual funds.
Just waiting for the right time.* I might DCA, might just go ahead and buy what I want.*

I'm still trying to decide exactly what to buy.* Any suggestions?* I won't touch the money for at least 6 years when I'm 59.5 .....hopefully a lot longer.
You are talking about mutual funds, not individual equities, right? If emerging markets continue their meltdown for much longer, it might start to be an opportune time to buy some.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #7

Yes, I'm talking about Mutual funds. I don't want to mess with individual stocks. I'd really like an auto pilot kind of IRA where I rebalance annually.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #8

Something smells like market timing... :
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, Russell 2k bounced off a 10% coorrection today, and Nas wasn't far behind. I see some beaten down, heavily shorted stuff starting to rebound. Looks like we are getting some traction. Might be time to start unloading puts.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Something smells like market timing... :
Glad I didn't step in it... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a little shopping today. A little mid cap and international. 3K each. I am still not up to the level of equities that I want to hold and thought I would just put a little in here and there.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

KB quoth:
Quote:
I have $110,000 in Vanguard's Prime MM in an IRA account. Ready to move into Mutual funds.
Just waiting for the right time. I might DCA, might just go ahead and buy what I want.

I'm still trying to decide exactly what to buy. Any suggestions? I won't touch the money for at least 6 years when I'm 59.5 .....hopefully a lot longer.

So far I'm looking at the following funds: Wellington, Wellesley, Total Int'l indx, Sm value Index, Small cap index, large val indx, large cap indx and maybe the reit index and a bond indx. Maybe also Tot stock market or 500 indx. I do have a Roth IRA with the Target 2015.
KB,

I once DCA'd in, but later read that it is better to be all-in than part-way in when the market turns. Today, I might do it in bigger chunks (such as half or a third at one time). Do what you are comfortable doing.

If you are going to use Wellington and Wellesley, do you need to do anything else (except a portion of Total International)? Personally, I do the slice-and-dice thing, favouring small cap, value, international and REITs, but I have a proportional share of VFINX, too. I like it that you do not have any 'growth' on your radar. I think value will 'grow' better.

I don't like bond funds. (I don't like anything with a bond fund component.) You will lose principle if rates go up. Instead, start building a CD ladder, like Galeno. For you, it is time. I buy the argument that Social Security will be equivalent to a bond (fixed-income) asset class.

Good luck,

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I put a tidy sum in VGTSX!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy

I don't like bond funds.* (I don't like anything with* a bond fund component.)* You will lose principle if rates go up.* Instead, start building a CD ladder, like Galeno.*
I agree. I would prefer to buy individual bonds outright and hold to maturity, or do a CD (or in Canada, a GIC) ladder.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

AltaRed,

One of the problems I have with bonds, per se, is that often they are callable. Why bother?

AltaEd
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I don't like bond funds.* (I don't like anything with* a bond fund component.)* You will lose principle if rates go up.* Instead, start building a CD ladder, like Galeno.* For you, it is time.* I buy the argument that Social Security will be equivalent to a bond (fixed-income) asset class.

Good luck,

Ed
Not to beat the dead horse again, but you don't avoid losing principal in a rising rate environment just because you bought individual bonds/CDs.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sold my puts today. Might be arriving at the party a little early, but when I am about ready to buy some more BPOP and SUP. When I get back from the 3 day weekend, I will be making a big bet on a specific sector.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I still hold, but that is partly because when I laid out the money originally, I meant to hedge meaningful market drops, not small or even moderate changes.

I don't know enough to manage the position well. My working plan is to keep the 40s until their % increase on an up day is < the % increase of the lower strikes, or until they are so far in the money that my fear of losing my gain overcomes my desire for more.*

I am not ready to take off my hedge, though I will likely juggle the strikes.

Who knows what might happen, but a rally like today's off of an oversold condition that lasts only 3/4 of a trading day is not a real positive sign. Suggests to me that big money wants to exit, at least for now.

Ha
Old 05-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Meh, maybe. I've de-risked my portfolio substantially, and the big plunge I plan on taking next week is not in a sector sensitive to an economic slowdown or a quickening of inflation (though it definately has other risks). Good enough for me, since I have a relatively high risk tolerance.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #20

No idea.* *We might be due for a "relief rally," but personally, I think you're a couple years early dropping your hedge.* *What's the best-case upside?* *Do you think interest rates will drop back down to 2%?* *Another big war?* *This party is over for a while, and I think we're looking at sideways at best, and who knows at worst.