Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I might take issue with the max out 401(k) one... (or did they say retirement?)

Unless you have an option for a ROTH contribution, it might not make sense to do so.... IOW, say you are in the 0% or 15% bracket, maxing out with before tax money might not pay in the long run....

I say max out to get any match and then determine what is your next best investment....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
(shortened quote)

Good list, but even after you do all that, you need to realize that others are doing it too. And they are driving up the price of any 'bargains' to the point they no longer can be expected to provide above-market performance.

I've come to the conclusion that stock or sector picking isn't about analysis because if it is definable analysis others can and will do it too, and then you are just competing with them. It's about predicting the future, and AFAIK, that is not a learn-able skill set.

-ERD50
One thing that always resonated with me about these arguments is that their goals, requirements and timelines are not the same as mine. So while we may be looking at the same company our actions will not mirror eachother due to these different situations.

The market also seems to have a herd mentality when reacting to news. Over longer timeframes those smooth out into an 'efficient market' but there seem to be many short term irrational dips to me.

My method isn't sexy but it seems to work as I'm up 2.5% on the DJIA over the last 15 years. (Although I'm tied with the DJIA YTD thanks to Netflix's 'slight' downward trend today) Some years I'll only have a couple of trades but I setup orders at prices that seem like steep discounts. The price is pretty low so many never fill but when they do they do well. Some recent examples: LOW at $64.4, APPL at $93.7, WMT at $58.9 (that one has been around for maybe 2 years before filling), HOT at $61.7 with Starwood being about the riskiest stock I've invested in in a while. I also have a strong preference for companies with a long history of increasing dividend payments

I still have index funds as I am still in my accumulation phase and things I consider 'good deals' have never lined up with my paychecks. When an order fills the money comes out of a moderate yield, tax exempt bond fund and I reallocate incoming new money into the bond fund to replace the debit. Occasionally things will fill quickly (like they did at the start of this year) so I will re-balance and\or pause\cancel the orders.

No guarantees in life though so I won't really know if what I am doing is the right move for a few more decades

Old 04-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterous View Post
My method isn't sexy but it seems to work as I'm up 2.5% on the DJIA over the last 15 years. (Although I'm tied with the DJIA YTD thanks to Netflix's 'slight' downward trend today)
How does your VOL compare to the DJIA?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
How does your VOL compare to the DJIA?
Std Dev is 10.77 from August 2008 to July 2015
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterous View Post
One thing that always resonated with me about these arguments is that their goals, requirements and timelines are not the same as mine. So while we may be looking at the same company our actions will not mirror each other due to these different situations.

The market also seems to have a herd mentality when reacting to news. Over longer timeframes those smooth out into an 'efficient market' but there seem to be many short term irrational dips to me.

My method isn't sexy but it seems to work ...
I agree with you that some form of contrarian (going against the herd) approach should seem to work. Implementing it gets a little sketchy though, I'm not sure how to do it objectively, but some might find a way.

Fidelity has a 'contra' fund, but I think it got too big to really do the contrarian thing (FCNTX) - chart shows that it is basically tracking SPY since 2008, but it did a nice combo of not dipping so low in 2002-2003, and recovering faster as well, so that was a great period for it.

-ERD50