All the President's Money

He needs to be better diversified, hey Pres. O, spread your wealth around (Total World or Total Stock market would be better choices).
TJ

As president, he doesn't have too many investment options. He can't buy individual companies. Forget about anything international. And could you imagine the uproar if he sheltered some of his investment income in muni bonds (and then if said muni issuer needed some help from the Feds to avoid defautl)? He probably only owns the S&P 500 because people would criticize him for shorting American business if he didn't. He's better off both legally and politically doing exactly what he's doing . . . and what he's doing has absolutely nothing to do with portfolio management, expected investment returns or expected inflation.

Besides, this guy's future income stream is so large as to make today's portfolio allocation completely irrelevant.

Right. Obama's asset allocation is all about re-election. He needs a Politically Correct AA, and Treasuries are the best choice in today's politics.

Getting a couple percent more on $5 million is worth $100k per year. That's a big deal for most of us, but it's one speech for a former president.

I thought the prez had to put his investments into a blind trust. I recall Jimmy Carter finding that his blind trust had essentially bankrupted him.

I don't think it matter much what he invests his money in with a $200K/yr pension coming for the rest of his life.

Right. Obama's asset allocation is all about re-election. He needs a Politically Correct AA, and Treasuries are the best choice in today's politics.

Getting a couple percent more on $5 million is worth $100k per year. That's a big deal for most of us, but it's one speech for a former president.

So true.

I thought the prez had to put his investments into a blind trust. I recall Jimmy Carter finding that his blind trust had essentially bankrupted him.

Apparently he didn't: For Obama, lack of huge stock portfolio helps avoid need for blind trust

"There's no blessed reason why you would set up a blind trust for that kind of investment," Gross said of Obama. "He's got his money in exactly the kinds of investments that don't require a blind trust."
DD

I don't think it matter much what he invests his money in with a $200K/yr pension coming for the rest of his life.

I'm with you there. If it was me, it would be 4 years then out. Along with
arranging my "presidental library and office" to be located on one of
the US virgin islands or maybe around Kona somewhere.

The library would consist of a large brewpub with a folding card table
table in the corner (no chairs) holding a few kindles for those wanting to
research my "papers".

mh said:
I'm with you there. If it was me, it would be 4 years then out. Along with
arranging my "presidental library and office" to be located on one of
the US virgin islands or maybe around Kona somewhere.

The library would consist of a large brewpub with a folding card table
table in the corner (no chairs) holding a few kindles for those wanting to
research my "papers".

One of the reasons you couldn't be president, your ego is not nearly large enough. :p

Back
Top Bottom