Re: All Together now,,Gas is Cheap!!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
You forgot to say "End of Rant!"*

JG
I was trying to, but I slipped and fell off the soapbox. We need a sturdier one around here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I was trying to, but I slipped and fell off the soapbox. We need a sturdier one around here.
Sorry, my fault, I think I strained it a little.

SWR

Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #43

I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping. Sometime in April, I was in NJ and filled up the tank with cheap gas. I haven't use my car since so for my first trip anywhere this summer, I'll have 14 gallons @ $1.80. When I finally get my first fillup, I hope I don't go through sticker shop.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping. Sometime in April, I was in NJ and filled up the tank with cheap gas. I haven't use my car since so for my first trip anywhere this summer, I'll have 14 gallons @ $1.80. When I finally get my first fillup, I hope I don't go through sticker shop.
I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas. Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"? That would give your post a whole
different twist.

JG
Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #45

Quote:
I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas.* Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"?* That would give your post a whole
different twist.*

JG
I'll bet that is "sticker shock"
As gas gets more and more expensive I'm certain the gov will require a sticker showing the MFRS suggested retail price per gallon.* And why not, think of the jobs it would create!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #46

Quote:
I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas. Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"? That would give your post a whole
different twist.

JG
As always, thanks for taking the time away from your important daily to do list to help clarifying some of our poorly written posts.
Of course, I always go to a sticker shop to fill-ip my car with stickers. I have a new hybrid car.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #47

Personally?* I'm all for the rise in gasoline prices.* I think it is an outstanding development.* Of course, a hefty gasoline tax with revenues diverted towards energy independence intitiatives (or even rebates for early retirees!) would have been preferable.* But we've crossed that bridge.

I love the fact that miss petite blonde yakking in her cell phone camped out in the passing lane ford expedition driver is paying $.25/mile in gasoline alone for the right to piss me off.* God knows how much total if you figure in the cost of her behemoth.* In a perfect world, she would have to purchase rolls of quarters to feed her Expedition every mile.* But in an imperfect world at least I can watch her filling up at the gas station trying to act cool and non-chalant as the gas pump edges past $70.

tozz
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Personally?* I'm all for the rise in gasoline prices.* I think it is an outstanding development.* Of course, a hefty gasoline tax with revenues diverted towards energy independence intitiatives (or even rebates for early retirees!) would have been preferable.* But we've crossed that bridge.

I love the fact that miss petite blonde yakking in her cell phone camped out in the passing lane ford expedition driver is paying $.25/mile in gasoline alone for the right to piss me off.* God knows how much total if you figure in the cost of her behemoth.* In a perfect world, she would have to purchase rolls of quarters to feed her Expedition every mile.* But in an imperfect world at least I can watch her filling up at the gas station trying to act cool and non-chalant as the gas pump edges past $70.

tozz
I love that scene also.* Watching Ms Blonde (there not all blonde,right?) load a quart of milk in the monster is cool as well.* I doubt if these folks will get a grip on the situation til their first financial crisis.

Anyway, did you hear about the petite blonde who took her expedition into the repair shop?? She told the mechanic that it was sputtering and just not running right.* So he popped the hood and had a look.
After a brief inspection he turned to the blonde and said--"no big deal, just crap in the carburetor"
With slight look of relief the blonde answered, " Oh, OK, how often do I need to do that?" :
DISCLOSURES:*
1.* I hate high gas prices
2. Blondes are cool and just as smart as anyone else.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping.
Hi, MJ.* As much as we can, BF and I try to bike to grocery-shop.* BF's biggest problem was how to buy a case of beer.* So he bought a used Burley child trailer recently, but he has yet to unfold/assemble and test it out.*
Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
Hi, MJ.* As much as we can, BF and I try to bike to grocery-shop.* BF's biggest problem was how to buy a case of beer.* So he bought a used Burley child trailer recently, but he has yet to unfold/assemble and test it out.*
I have a backpack that holds 2 six-packs of bottles and still allows me to fit in the odd vegetable, block of cheese, etc. (I have tested this on several occasions). A case would require my backpacking gear, though.

For awhile, the neighbor's kids used to always ask if they could walk to the grocery store with me. Their mother was happy to have them out of her way for 40 or 50 minutes. They seemed to enjoy the walk and telling me about school. And I got extra help carrying groceries. Unfortunately, they moved away and my pack labor is gone. It's just my DW, me, and our backpacks now.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #51

For 4 years, I commuted to work 20+ miles (RT) 10 months a year and carried a 8lb.+ backpack which included my laptop. Now, that I am no longer working, I freed up my back by buying 2 Nashbar townie bags to carry my groceries. They attach to each side of my rear rack. They can be detached when not needed. I can haul a fair amount of groceries with them.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
. . .Now, that I am no longer working, I freed up my back by buying 2 Nashbar townie bags to carry my groceries. They attach to each side of my rear rack. They can be detached when not needed. I can haul a fair amount of groceries with them.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I'm not familiar with these. Are they common at bicycle shops? Can you hall eggs?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would feel much safer if everyone was allowed to apply for concealed carry.
I would NEVER knowingly support any organization advocating
ANY restriction or rollback of gun rights as they exist now.
More guns = less crime.* Nuff said.

JG
Can't agree. Guns of any description should be heavily controlled, or preferably banned.

Quote:
More guns = less crime.* Nuff said.
So how do you explain that every country in the world that controls, restricts or bans handguns, has significantly lower crime rates and hugely lower gun related deaths
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #54

Quote:
More guns = less crime. Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
So how do you explain that every country in the world that controls, restricts or bans handguns, has significantly lower crime rates and hugely lower gun related deaths
I almost brought these points up myself -- but then I realized that enough was said . . . enough to know that this is a purely emotional decision for him and that no amount of facts or data would change his mind.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I almost brought these points up myself -- but then I realized that enough was said . . . enough to know that this is a purely emotional decision for him and that no amount of facts or data would change his mind.* *
SG - I thik you are probably right. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Liberal with guns here - or at least blue collar - one of my departures from my party.

Also - you should be able to buy the gas guzzler of choice. Cheap used/preferably resurrected from the junkyard Detriot iron will pay for a lot $5-10/gal gas. I cheat - 1994 GMC 4 banger free for the cost of fixing and running(taxes/transfer/insurance not included). Have a non running 1994 Geo Storm ( towing cost $65) - to be worked on as a backup.

The death rate in both cases above - has been tolerated by the electorate - with tap dance laws at the edges.

I see no great movement to outlaw cars.

A nit law here and there through time - but nothing fundamental.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I firmly support our individual rights, I definitely side more with Jefferson than Hamilton. I do, however, have a problem with people who own F-750's and then complain about gas prices and say we need to give OPEC countries what fer. I think that leads us to follow national policies that hurt us in the long run. Heck, if you don't mind the gas prices, drive a Mack truck to work! But if people out there have a problem with prices, we should be spending more time looking into ways we can ameliorate these issues internally. What ever happend to good old American self reliance?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I'm not familiar with these. Are they common at bicycle shops? Can you hall eggs?
They're a cloth version of a collapsible panniers except they don't get bolted to the rack. These are sold only at Nashbar.com but I suspect that there are similar versions out there.
Yes I have hauled couple dozen eggs safely when they are cushioned with other groceries and avoided riding over long yellow brick roads.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
Totally OT: And how do you explain that in the county in Florida that mandated that all adults carry handguns the gun-related crime rate went to near zero?*

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

There is a county in Florida that forces you to carry a handgun? More facts please.