All Together now,,Gas is Cheap!!

For 4 years, I commuted to work 20+ miles (RT) 10 months a year and carried a 8lb.+ backpack which included my laptop. Now, that I am no longer working, I freed up my back by buying 2 Nashbar townie bags to carry my groceries. They attach to each side of my rear rack. They can be detached when not needed. I can haul a fair amount of groceries with them.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=8641&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

MRGALT2U said:
I would feel much safer if everyone was allowed to apply for concealed carry.
I would NEVER knowingly support any organization advocating
ANY restriction or rollback of gun rights as they exist now.
More guns = less crime.  Nuff said.

JG

Can't agree. Guns of any description should be heavily controlled, or preferably banned.

MRGALT2U said:
More guns = less crime.  Nuff said.

So how do you explain that every country in the world that controls, restricts or bans handguns, has significantly lower crime rates and hugely lower gun related deaths:confused:

More guns = less crime. Nuff said.

Honkie said:
So how do you explain that every country in the world that controls, restricts or bans handguns, has significantly lower crime rates and hugely lower gun related deaths:confused:
I almost brought these points up myself -- but then I realized that enough was said . . . enough to know that this is a purely emotional decision for him and that no amount of facts or data would change his mind. :D :D :D

((^+^)) SG said:
I almost brought these points up myself -- but then I realized that enough was said . . . enough to know that this is a purely emotional decision for him and that no amount of facts or data would change his mind.   :D :D :D

SG - I thik you are probably right. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Liberal with guns here - or at least blue collar - one of my departures from my party.

Also - you should be able to buy the gas guzzler of choice. Cheap used/preferably resurrected from the junkyard Detriot iron will pay for a lot $5-10/gal gas. I cheat - 1994 GMC 4 banger free for the cost of fixing and running(taxes/transfer/insurance not included). Have a non running 1994 Geo Storm ( towing cost $65) - to be worked on as a backup.

The death rate in both cases above - has been tolerated by the electorate - with tap dance laws at the edges.

I see no great movement to outlaw cars.

A nit law here and there through time - but nothing fundamental.

I firmly support our individual rights, I definitely side more with Jefferson than Hamilton. I do, however, have a problem with people who own F-750's and then complain about gas prices and say we need to give OPEC countries what fer. I think that leads us to follow national policies that hurt us in the long run. Heck, if you don't mind the gas prices, drive a Mack truck to work! But if people out there have a problem with prices, we should be spending more time looking into ways we can ameliorate these issues internally. What ever happend to good old American self reliance?

((^+^)) SG said:
I'm not familiar with these. Are they common at bicycle shops? Can you hall eggs? :D :D :D

They're a cloth version of a collapsible panniers except they don't get bolted to the rack. These are sold only at Nashbar.com but I suspect that there are similar versions out there.
Yes I have hauled couple dozen eggs safely when they are cushioned with other groceries and avoided riding over long yellow brick roads. :D :D

Honkie said:

Totally OT: And how do you explain that in the county in Florida that mandated that all adults carry handguns the gun-related crime rate went to near zero?  :D

Since this thread has been almost completely hi-jacked (hence, no guilt) mebbe you can explain.  What gives rise to all the pro-gun passion?  If I lived in a rural area where I might need to defend myself from wandering christian evangelicals, yeah, I would probably purchase a firearm.  Maybe more than one since they seem to travel in packs.  But since I reside in barely gentrified outpost within a northeast ghetto where the natural law states that only african teenagers will carry handguns, I choose not to own. 

Regardless of my decision to own or not to own, the eye-bulging passion of the NRA types--i.e. Charton Heston bellowing, voice quivering, "the only way they will take my gun when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands..." blah, blah--completely escape me.  Someone clue me in. 

unclemick2 said:
Liberal with guns here - or at least blue collar - one of my departures from my party.

Laurence said:
There is a county in Florida that forces you to carry a handgun?  More facts please.  :-\

It was in the news several years ago. The criminals split (or at least curtailed their criminal activities) since they knew almost everyone they encountered would be packing.

Heston is one of the types I'd be tempted to shoot - if'en I caught him trespasing - him being a Republican and all that.

I remember 1967 in a little corner of SW Washington(no names please) when they closed down the best whorehouse around(mainly for loggers) and some dam civil rights lawyer made us actually count Republican votes instead of writing in the traditional number. Some strange things can trigger one's 'hot button' - Republicans should NOT be allowed to vote - period!!!

But - nowadays - being old and mellow - being the blue marble in a bucket of red ones at the doughnut shop is more fun.

Besides - the SO voted for Bush - discression is good.

And And - blue gas - is it true is some places they used to put dye in gas(non- taxed) to be used for non road purposes:confused:

Ag and gas for fishermen.

MJ said:
They're a cloth version of a collapsible panniers except they don't get bolted to the rack. These are sold only at Nashbar.com but I suspect that there are similar versions out there.

Yes, I got one similar to that last year for my birthday.  Maybe I'll buy a second one to have more balance on the bike.  But even two of them would not let me carry a gun case of beer in them.

Well, anyone who has been on the internet for longer than twenty minutes is sick to tears of gun discussions.  That said, my question concerning the emotional component that some owners have is quite serious.  To me it is just an appliance.  Like a cordless drill.  If I need to drill a hole, I'll buy a drill.  If I need to hang some wallboard, I'll buy a philips driver bit.  If I need to drill a hole in someone's skull, I'll buy a gun.  If I want to see that skull explode, I'll buy hollow-headed bullets.  I just can't see popping a woody over either.

unclemick2 said:
Heston is one of the types I'd be tempted to shoot

tozz said:
Well, anyone who has been on the internet for longer than twenty minutes is sick to tears of gun discussions. That said, my question concerning the emotional component that some owners have is quite serious. To me it is just an appliance. Like a cordless drill. If I need to drill a hole, I'll buy a drill. If I need to hang some wallboard, I'll buy a philips driver bit. If I need to drill a hole in someone's skull, I'll buy a gun. If I want to see that skull explode, I'll buy hollow-headed bullets. I just can't see popping a woody over either.

My hypothesis is that guns are a way of showing dominence and power.

tozz said:
If I need to drill a hole in someone's skull, I'll buy a gun.  If I want to see that skull explode, I'll buy hollow-headed bullets.  I just can't see popping a woody over either.
No need to buy extra bullets for head explodin, just take out yer buck knife (you do have a buck knife right?) ::) and cut an X on the business part of that round. It'll tumble real good.
Bring yer bullets and a six pack over sometime and we'll get yah fixed up! :LOL: :LOL:

Yep

Their emotional symbolism hit's all kinds of hot buttons here in the good old USA.

I remember in the 70's - me and the SO were out ratting the streets in a heh, heh 'good' part of Nassau when we observed a couple guys ready to go at it(with fists). A policeman walks up(unarmed) whips out his ticket book - gives them a stern lecture and a ticket.

Hmmm - the remark was made "this sure isn't Bourbon Street."

Patrick said:
It was in the news several years ago.  The criminals split (or at least curtailed their criminal activities) since they knew almost everyone they encountered would be packing. 

Color me skeptical. :D :D :D

[

Martha, you spelled 'dominence' wrong. But I concur: The more you are obsessed with guns, the more powerless you feel. That's why I always prefer talking about politics: It makes me feel even less powerless. I think.

So, has my message editing skill improved?

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
[
Martha, you spelled 'dominence' wrong.  But I concur:  The more you are obsessed with guns, the more powerless you feel.  That's why I always prefer  talking about politics:  It makes me feel even less powerless.  I think.

So, has my message editing skill improved? 

Well, this is wrong in my case. I favor private ownership of just about
all weapons short of WMDs. Yet, no one would suggest that I feel powerless.
To the contrary, I automatically think I can dominate and control
just about everything (egomania). In other words, Arm Everyone! Fine with me.
I would rather arm my fellow citizens than give any more power to government.
Regardless, I ALWAYS think I will come out on top. It's genetic.
I am part of the "gun culture" and proud of it.

JG

((^+^)) SG said:
Color me skeptical. :D :D :D

It makes sense though. If the bad guys can't tell who is "packin' heat"
it's bound to make them think twice.

JG

Back
Top Bottom