Join Early Retirement Today

all you need is ~600K by age 50 to retire
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

all you need is ~600K by age 50 to retire

This is for a family of two.

if you can accumulate around 500-600K by age 50, that will help you survive for 17 years till age 67. From 67 you can start taking your full SS benefit; You get your amount (say 2600) and your non-working spouse gets 50% of that (1300) totaling 3900 per month. Since the medicare will take of your healthcare costs, 3900 will be good enough to survive for the rest of your life.

So the absolute minimum you need to save by 50 to retire safely is 600K. For each later year you retire, you can reduce the 600K by 50K / year. Does this sound reasonable? Not saying we can retire with 600K at 50 as it depends on economy and its good to have some buffer, but if we want a number this sounds like the absolute min. needed

- Sam
firenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

" Does this sound reasonable? "

Ya, assuming this is in the US, if you plan on living in a rented trailer, minimal car expenses , minimal travel and spend down most of that 600K by age 67.

If you moved to south america, that 600K would provide a very nice lifestyle.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Administrator

1. According to FIRECalc, with a $600k starting balance and a 17 year period, you must spend less than $32,376 per year in order to have a 95% chance of success (i.e. - a positive amount in the bank at age 67 when social security kicks in). If you need more than that, your plan won't work because you'll run out of money.
2. The current maximum monthly benefit for social security is $2687 at full retirement age. That would require having paid the maximum social security for 35 years. You are unlikely to have done that if you quit working when you are only 50.
3. Medicare is not free. You need to budget for the Part B expenses.
4. Again, how much do you want to spend?. Roughly $32k per year would not even come close to what I intend to spend in retirement.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Not even close to working for me!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
3. Medicare is not free. You need to budget for the Part B expenses.
Not only is Medicare "not free", a supplemental plan is a really good idea and can add $300/month per spouse.

Then there is Part D (drugs). If you happen to get sick, and maybe have a real "problem", your OOP could be thousands per year.

And if you need glasses, hearing aids, or dental work, this is on your nickle.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

"that will help you survive"

Who wants to just survive, barely? Sounds like a miserable way to live.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Most retirees actually live this way so yes you can. Simply depends on what lifestyle you prefer. Nothing wrong with living frugal to gain freedom.
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Good points on the medicare expenses. I wasn't aware of them.

Assuming a 3.4% pct return, on 600K, you would make about 1700 interest per month and rest of what you need monthly comes from the capital.

So if you spend 3900 per month, it will last for about 16.8 years. I think 3900 is a decent amount to have a comfortable living; rent of a 1 BR apt is 700$-900$ in lot of cities.

If you want to have a more lavish lifestyle that's a different point; we are talking about the absolute min. we need. If you disagree with that number, what is your number?
firenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

For us, no way. Maybe take it times 10 for age 50. For my mom and siblings, probably? (Assuming they had such a vast sum.)

For you? That's your call.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beside the points others have made about heath, drug, vision, hearing aids and dental costs not covered or not fully being covered by Medicare, you can't count on being a couple forever with two SS checks. One will likely pass first and the remaining spouse could live many additional years with only the higher earner SS benefits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #11

I think if the OP just gives the 600K to BOHO to manage, they will do ok.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Beside the points others have made about heath, drug, vision, hearing aids and dental costs not covered or not fully being covered by Medicare, you can't count on being a couple forever with two SS checks. One will likely pass first and the remaining spouse could live many additional years with only the higher earner SS benefits.
How true, and one that faces that existence would be better served figuring out how to get a long stint in a federal prison to cover the expanding expense. You wouldn't even need a car or have to pay insurance expenses then.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by masceratian View Post

Assuming a 3.4% pct return, on 600K, you would make about 1700 interest per month and rest of what you need monthly comes from the capital.

So if you spend 3900 per month, it will last for about 16.8 years. I think 3900 is a decent amount to have a comfortable living; rent of a 1 BR apt is 700$-900$ in lot of cities.

If you want to have a more lavish lifestyle that's a different point; we are talking about the absolute min. we need. If you disagree with that number, what is your number?
Need a city and state to do a more in depth s.w.a.g. Aside from rent, general c.o.l. varies a lot by location.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't know what my minimum number would be because I've never had to test that out as a working adult. But supporting kids in college reminded me that life can be pretty fun without spending a ton of money. Housing is expensive where we live, but I have widowed friends with mortgage free homes and low property taxes under Prop 13 who live well on less than $3,900 a month.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #15

Go where you can find cheap housing, maybe Mexico.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't know what my minimum number would be because I've never had to test that out as a working adult. But supporting kids in college reminded me that life can be pretty fun without spending a ton of money. Housing is expensive where we live, but I have widowed friends with mortgage free homes and low property taxes under Prop 13 who live well on less than $3,900 a month.
All of this sounds good and easy to do based on today's situation(s). Life is fun until you and your spouse get sick, and feeble, and maybe need assistance or have very expensive medications. And you WILL get sick and need medical care. Then $3900 a month looks like chump change. Heck one of my 72 year old wife's meds is near $4000/month, but she can only take it for two years. Then there are the 8 or so other prescriptions for her. Maybe we are unusual, but we never planned for any of these expenses.

This year I will spend well over $20K (maybe $35K) on dental expenses to repair old work.....try that on for size. One benefit is we will have a low tax bill this year.

Go ahead, plan out two decades to live on a limited fixed sum. It's not that easy.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
All of this sounds good and easy to do based on today's situation(s). Life is fun until you and your spouse get sick, and feeble, and maybe need assistance or have very expensive medications. And you WILL get sick and need medical care. Then $3900 a month looks like chump change. Heck one of my 72 year old wife's meds is near $4000/month, but she can only take it for two years. Then there are the 8 or so other prescriptions for her. Maybe we are unusual, but we never planned for any of these expenses.

This year I will spend well over $20K (maybe $35K) on dental expenses to repair old work.....try that on for size. One benefit is we will have a low tax bill this year.

Go ahead, plan out two decades to live on a limited fixed sum. It's not that easy.
I'm not on Medicare so I don't know exactly what our expenses will be or what the max could be. Your amounts seem much higher than the Fidelity estimates of $260K for a couple retiring at 65:

https://www.fidelity.com/about-fidel...etirement-rise

And much more than the mean amounts in the Consumer Expenditure Survey:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-...-americans.htm

"Total annual expenditures averaged $49,279 among older households. Expenditures declined from $56,267 for the 55–64 age group to $36,673 for the 75-and-older group." That's total expenses, including heath care.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

1993 - 2004. Way less.

But that was then this is now.

heh heh heh - I was such a cheap SOB I even scared 'The Four Yorkshire-men.'
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is for a family of two.

if you can accumulate around 500-600K by age 50, that will help you survive for 17 years till age 67. From 67 you can start taking your full SS benefit; You get your amount (say 2600) and your non-working spouse gets 50% of that (1300) totaling 3900 per month. Since the medicare will take of your healthcare costs, 3900 will be good enough to survive for the rest of your life.

So the absolute minimum you need to save by 50 to retire safely is 600K. For each later year you retire, you can reduce the 600K by 50K / year. Does this sound reasonable? Not saying we can retire with 600K at 50 as it depends on economy and its good to have some buffer, but if we want a number this sounds like the absolute min. needed

- Sam
I'm certain there are folks here who live on this amount. My biggest single concern would be health care before MC kicks in at 65.

I know this amount would not cover DW and me in the life style we have chosen. Still, with health care taken care of, we could adapt, though it would cause us to move from where we want to be to a place less desirable to us. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 AM   #20

I'm struggling to find a way to live under $80K per year (about $6,700/month) and I own my home and have some retiree healthcare. Which, by the way, you did not mention health care/health insurance cost from 50-67. I understand people can live on a lot less, but when you ask for a minimum to "exist", you still need to define exist. Existing for me includes good healthcare. I may be wrong, but I imagine that people living on less than $50K/yr suffer when it comes to health care.

If you really think $3,900/month will do it, fill in the rest of the budget. You started with rent but there's a lot more than that. Also, I didn't check all the math, but it would be good to know how you expect to get a consistent 3.4% return. No market risk?
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote