Join Early Retirement Today

Allocation and Investments
Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Allocation and Investments

I'd love some advice about my allocations and investments.

I'm 45 years old and want to retire in 10 years (at 55).

My current investment securities are:

* Taxable Brokerage Account: ~$5 million

60% stocks / 40% bonds.

US Stocks: VTI, ITOT (50% of stocks)
Int'l Stocks: IXUS, VXUS (50% of stocks)
Municipal Bonds: VWAHX, VWITX, and MUB

* Tax-Advantaged Accounts: ~$750,000

100% stocks

S&P 500 Index Funds (VOO, IVV)

I expect to have spending needs about $250,000+ at that time (2027), although in reality, it will be much lower (my current annual spend is $150,000 and my expenses would drop by a minimum of $40,000).

I also expect to add ~$1MM annually to these accounts until then (2027) and will slowly rebalance to 50% stocks / 50% bonds overall.

Any suggestions?
escape_velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

No.

looks like you're fine with the current plan.

If history holds, your $5.75 million will about double in 10 years. If spending drops as you expect, your heirs will be happy.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Adopt me?

I'd have to really love my job to keep working in your situation.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks to you both. I do love my job, but I also love my kids and want to put them through college, etc., and because of the kids, cannot run off just yet to do what I really want to do (sailing!!). Thanks again for the kind thoughts ... it may seem obvious to others, but I always doubt myself . . . confident, but never cocky.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

With your trajectory, you've got a lot of options to build whatever you want. There are some here at your asset level that can provide some good strategic advice. Based on your projected spending level, you shouldn't have to carry a lot of risk.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_velocity View Post
Thanks to you both. I do love my job, but I also love my kids and want to put them through college, etc., and because of the kids, cannot run off just yet to do what I really want to do (sailing!!)..
I think you are underestimating what $5.7 million can support. I'm glad you love your job, cause you certainly don't need to keep working for the money.

Asset allocation - seems fine, good tax efficiency, typical conservative allocation.

An alternate viewpoint - With such a high value portfolio, I personally wouldn't have such a high % of fixed assets. In the event of a market downturn, you have $2M in fixed assets to ride it out. At $200k burn rate a year, you could wait out any market downturn for 10 yrs without having to sell any equities. At a $150k burn rate, it's 13 yrs. Most downturns only last 3-5 yrs. I guess if you are happy with the fixed asset return, it's fine. I personally would probably have only 30% or maybe 20% fixed in your situation. Just depends on how conservative you wish to be I suppose.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=Whisper66;1885266]I think you are underestimating what $5.7 million can support. I'm glad you love your job, cause you certainly don't need to keep working for the money.

Asset allocation - seems fine, good tax efficiency, typical conservative allocation.

An alternate viewpoint - With such a high value portfolio, I personally wouldn't have such a high % of fixed assets. In the event of a market downturn, you have $2M in fixed assets to ride it out. At $200k burn rate a year, you could wait out any market downturn for 10 yrs without having to sell any equities. At a $150k burn rate, it's 13 yrs. Most downturns only last 3-5 yrs. I guess if you are happy with the fixed asset return, it's fine. I personally would probably have only 30% or maybe 20% fixed in your situation. Just depends on how conservative you wish to be I suppose.[/

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
An alternate viewpoint - With such a high value portfolio, I personally wouldn't have such a high % of fixed assets. In the event of a market downturn, you have $2M in fixed assets to ride it out. At $200k burn rate a year, you could wait out any market downturn for 10 yrs without having to sell any equities. At a $150k burn rate, it's 13 yrs. Most downturns only last 3-5 yrs. I guess if you are happy with the fixed asset return, it's fine. I personally would probably have only 30% or maybe 20% fixed in your situation. Just depends on how conservative you wish to be I suppose.
I just wanted to point out that only part of that $2M fixed income would be available for surviving down years - and not 10 years worth at $200K per year. A chunk of it would be used for rebalancing. Fixed income in a portfolio is used both for rebalancing (buying more stocks when they are low) and simultaneously drawn from for annual income during down years. So you want some cushion to support both.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

I agree with most of the comments here, you seem in good shape. The only thing I would add is I hope you have a good estate plan in place. As some have mentioned here, in 10 years, with market returns plus the 1mln you are adding per year, your heirs could have some issues if you get hit by a truck.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

I appreciate all the thoughts and comments.

I'll sleep better now.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you have accumulated a ton of dough. just keep doing what your doing, your in the top 5 % of the country
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote