Join Early Retirement Today
Allocation of Assets over Investment Companies
Old 06-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Allocation of Assets over Investment Companies

We have the bulk of our portfolio split between Fidelity, T Rowe and Vanguard. Some is with traditional IRA's, some (half) 401k and the balance taxable investments.

We have 18 months to go until retirement at age 55. Actually, I have semi-retired and run a business online to stay busy, and my husband will be done in 18 months.

We are pondering if I should start thinking about rolling over my 401ks to IRA's, and whether we should move our funds to one umbrella- though certainly no one investment.

We have resources to carry us until 59 1/2 and will not need early withdrawls. We are comfortable managing our own funds, and are not looking to pay someone to do that for us. We will not have to borrow funds from the 401k, so no real reason to keep it. Comfortable with investment choices, but they might be broader elsewhere.

However it would be nice to use the fund resources to get ideas for investment strategies in the years to come and to minimize taxes in a high tax state. So we thought having things under one roof might make sense.

Any thoughts as to pros and cons with keeping funds under one or multiple roofs?

bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have my investments split between Fido and Vanguard.

Fido has a brick and mortar outpost not far from me and they were good at hand holding when I retired and rolled over the pretax portion of my 401(k) to an IRA. Fido also runs the 401(k) for my former employer, where I still have part of my money in a unique bond fund with zero ER. I put the IRA in Fido Spartan funds. So it makes sense for me, now, to maintain that relationship.

The rest of my money is at Vanguard for their lower ERs and the ability to take advantage of Admiral status to lower ERs even more. I also like their choices of index funds.

You may have unique reasons to choose more than one financial institution - like trading costs, if you are an active trader.

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Right now, I'm playing the field.
MF assets are directly with American Funds, Vanguard, and a collection of VG and Dodge&Cox are parked with TDAmeritrade.
Over the next 15 years, my plan is to consolidate to less than 5 funds.
I'm not sure I would ever have everything with one fund family, though.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
I believe 55 and separated from employment gives you penalty free access to 401k, if there is any chance you might want some of that money it may make sense to procrastinate on the rollover until you are sure or 59 1/2 whichever comes first.
Simplification has struck a chord with me and I have reduced the number of different holdings and accounts I have mostly by migrating to VG and though I have complete and total confidence in them and their structure. I'm not sure that's honest; so as the nest egg becomes more substantial and the prospects for earned income wane over the next decade, I'm planning for two brokerages plus for my three legged stool.
I highjacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold - Bon Jovi
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote