Join Early Retirement Today

Ally Bank CD loyalty bonus
Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ally Bank CD loyalty bonus

I had a five year CD at Ally Bank which matured this week. Since their new rates are not as competitive as other banks, I called them to instruct them not to renew my CD. The woman on the phone informed me that I'm entitled to a "loyalty bonus" if I agree to renew my CD. Their current rate on a 5 year CD is only 2%, and other banks are offering 2.31%, so no reason to renew there, but I asked the woman what the loyalty bonus would be if I stayed.

She responded, it would be .005%. As in, instead of 2%, I would get 2.005%. So if I had $100K invested at 2%, I would get $2,000 per year. At 2.005%, I would get $2,005 if I'm doing the math correctly?

I responded, is that a joke? I didn't know banks even worked with decimals so small! She didn't know how to respond to my rhetorical questions, so she just said "no" and politely finished up the call.

I don't know why this bugged me so much, but what is the point in referring to .005% as a loyalty bonus? I just found it downright insulting. Am I being out of line here?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Not out of line, I would have laughed at it too.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

That is quite rediculous. BTW, may I ask where are you getting 2.31% on a 5 yr CD?
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
That is quite rediculous. BTW, may I ask where are you getting 2.31% on a 5 yr CD?
If you go to bankrate.com you can search for best 5 yr CD rates. It is showing that:
- E-Loan and Everbank have 2.31%
- Synchrony Bank and Capital One 360 have 2.25%
I am not sure of any other 2.31% - anyone else know any others?
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
If you go to bankrate.com you can search for best 5 yr CD rates. It is showing that:
- E-Loan and Everbank have 2.31%
- Synchrony Bank and Capital One 360 have 2.25%
I am not sure of any other 2.31% - anyone else know any others?
Correct - that is where I look when I'm in the market for CDs. I've been going with Barclays, because their 5 year CD only has a 6 month early withdrawal penalty. So if interest rates ever go up, it's relatively painless to exit out and reinvest at the higher rates.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some CDs at Ally are "raise your rate" products that allow present CD customers to call and get the new higher rate if Ally offers a higher rate on te same term int he future. So, I was pretty sure their CD rates would stay low some of their products (mostly 2 and 4 year CDs.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
The woman on the phone informed me that I'm entitled to a "loyalty bonus" if I agree to renew my CD. . . . She responded, it would be .005%. As in, instead of 2%, I would get 2.005%.
Dang, maybe ask her if you could instead have one of the toasters that banks used to give their customers.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

I think the "bonus" premium is good on most if not all their CD products. Personally, the 2 year with raise your rate option is all the further duration I am interested in.

Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

My bank had a tiered savings rate for a while. If I put enough in to get the next tier the rate went up from 0.01% to 0.02% annually. That's from one hundredth of a percent to 2 hundredths of a percent. The tellers must have had a sales contest so I got a pitch to put more money in there and I was so surprised at the ridiculous bonus that I laughed. Sorry, teller, just trying to do your job.

I went to a drugstore once that had candy bars, normally 3 for a dollar, on sale for only 33 cents each. They had lots of BIG signs for the BIG candy sale. I asked if there were other items on sale. Nope, just these. But they did say sales were up quite a bit.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

I was offered a 0.05% Ally Bank bonus, similar to this person and this person. That would have been an extra $50 per year on $100k. I ultimately went with a secondary market brokered CD with 4 years remaining on the term.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #10

The three month Treasury was sold at 99.996208, which means you earn 37.92 cents on $10,000 for three months, wow, don't spend it all in one place.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

I'm going to throw this out there as a possibility seeing that Ally's offer on the face of it seems so ridiculous. The mathematical expression of two percent is .02, or in other words a $10,000 CD earning two percent annually earns $10,000 x.02 = $200.00. So increasing that percentage rate according Ally's offer would be the current .02 + .005 for a total of .025, which we can all agree equals two and a half percent and in actuality beats the competing 2.31%. Did anyone ask the bank that question? I mean I could be wrong but it would explain why the loyalty bonus would actually make sense and entice current customers to remain loyal. Could the customer service rep have misrepresented the offer?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
I was offered a 0.05% Ally Bank bonus, similar to this person and this person. That would have been an extra $50 per year on $100k. I ultimately went with a secondary market brokered CD with 4 years remaining on the term.
.05 times $100,000 is actually $5,000. If you mean you were offered .005%, like the OP, then that equals $500.00, not $50.00.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I'm going to throw this out there as a possibility seeing that Ally's offer on the face of it seems so ridiculous. The mathematical expression of two percent is .02, or in other words a $10,000 CD earning two percent annually earns $10,000 x.02 = $200.00. So increasing that percentage rate according Ally's offer would be the current .02 + .005 for a total of .025, which we can all agree equals two and a half percent and in actuality beats the competing 2.31%. Did anyone ask the bank that question? I mean I could be wrong but it would explain why the loyalty bonus would actually make sense and entice current customers to remain loyal. Could the customer service rep have misrepresented the offer?

I remember a old phone call online of a guy talking with a company trying to get them to understand the difference between .02 dollars and .02 cents. Multiple escalations and they just didn't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #14

Remember most people (non-ER.org members) can't do "higher math" in their head. If they are told they are getting a bonus they may jump on it..

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Remember most people (non-ER.org members) can't do "higher math" in their head. If they are told they are getting a bonus they may jump on it.. -gauss
I understand but is .005 x $100,000, not $500.00 rather than $50.00?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #16

Ready is right. (Sorry to imply otherwise ready). I checked the Ally webpage for its loyalty bonus program. Their bonus is .05 which when converted to its proper mathematical expression equals .005. There are articles on Ally's loyalty program and its changes. Pre 2014 their bonus used to be .25, or a quarter of a percent, a relatively meaningful bonus in this low interest world. In 2014 that bonus was changed to .15. In 2015 that bonus was lowered again to .05. As gauss suggested they may be hoping that old customers won't compute the actual dollars and assume that the old loyalty program is still competitive. Or not. Internet articles express the point that Ally's previous generous program has been gutted.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Ready is right. (Sorry to imply otherwise ready). I checked the Ally webpage for its loyalty bonus program. Their bonus is .05 which when converted to its proper mathematical expression equals .005.
Umm, 0.05% = 0.0005, not 0.005.

0.005 is 0.5%.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

".005% as a loyalty bonus? I just found it downright insulting"

I would also
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #19

Thanks for following up Golden.

Agreed that 0.5% bonus would have been worth something more than the insult which is .005%
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many big corporations seem to offer their best bonuses to new customers and not the loyal old customers. Recently, I have seen cable and satellite offers for new customers that are far better than the deals offered to existing customers. My credit card company will give tens of thousands of points to new customers while waving a year's fee, but nothing extra to me as a long time customer.

Does anybody at the top ever ask "What is the lesson we are teaching our customers?"

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote