Join Early Retirement Today

Ally up to 1.50%
Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Ally up to 1.50%

I received the following message from Ally regarding my online account. A little too late as I have already transferred my cash to PMMF that is currently yielding 1.81%.

Quote:
Good news! As of 4/27/2018 the annual percentage yield (APY) for our Online Savings Account is now 1.50% APY. This increased rate means your account is earning even more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I received the following message from Ally regarding my online account. A little too late as I have already transferred my cash to PMMF that is currently yielding 1.81%.
The Pine Mountain Music Festival is paying 1.81%?
Bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post
The Pine Mountain Music Festival is paying 1.81%?
Purepoint Financial up to 1.75% ($10K minimum for this rate)
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

CIT is 1.75%APY and Capital One is 1.6%
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I got Ally. Do many folks on this site move around high yield savings accounts from bank to bank to gain each 5-10 basis point differential as applicable?
Not a negative question, truly just curious on the mind set.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

I've done some moving around, especially to catch a bonus cash offer in the past, but going forward trying to simplify the financials in case DW must take over. So for now, limit myself to only two online accounts at a time and they must be willing to provide paper periodic statements....again for my wife's benefit.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I got Ally. Do many folks on this site move around high yield savings accounts from bank to bank to gain each 5-10 basis point differential as applicable?
DW doesn't like me chasing yields, so keep it all in Ally. I have quite a few CD's, laddered so that we get maturing CD's often. We just roll them over. Because of this, though, the actual dollars we "lose" by not going after the few extra basis points is nominal. In exchange, our financial life is simpler.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
DW doesn't like me chasing yields, so keep it all in Ally. I have quite a few CD's, laddered so that we get maturing CD's often. We just roll them over. Because of this, though, the actual dollars we "lose" by not going after the few extra basis points is nominal. In exchange, our financial life is simpler.
That is where I am heading in concept, although will probably keep to 1 yr and under, as Ally not particularly competitive above that maturity.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
That is where I am heading in concept, although will probably keep to 1 yr and under, as Ally not particularly competitive above that maturity.
You should consider Fidelity, Schwab, or other broker - at least investigate.

You'll find that you have much more available with the CDs. The reason is simple - Ally is only going to offer you Ally CDs. The yields and terms available are only going to be what Ally is offering. If you have an account with Fidelity or Schwab, you'll be able to choose CDs from many banks and they are all offering competitive rates for all maturities.

The fact that you are looking to keep your maturities to 1 year and under because of what you perceive are Ally-specific issues with rates above 1 year emphasizes the point.

Below is the link to Fidelity's current rates - just focus on the top line in the table for CDs (New Issues) and be sure Highest Yield is selected for View by. The CDs being offered by Fidelity are higher yielding than at every maturity compared to what Ally is offering - and there are no minimums (aside from the $1000 for purchasing one CD) to get the rate, as is the case with Ally.

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding

I can appreciate having everything at one institution to make your financial life easier. However, again, consider what you're doing and why. If you're sticking to one year and under, you're probably sacrificing more than just a few basis points by not going to 2-year, or 3-year. 3-year is going to be yielding 3% before the end of summer. That could be a full percentage point or higher than you're getting for CDs under one year - $1000+/year on $100k. That's a nice amount of additional cash for a little effort. I did just check out Ally's CD rates on their site, and I completely agree with you - they are not competitive for CDs longer than 1 year. But your savings/investing/returns should not be limited because of what the institution you're dealing with can offer - not in this era.

There's no cost to investigate.

As far as high yield savings accounts, American Express is at 1.55%, and we keep the bulk of our non-CD cash with DollarSavingsDirect.com, currently at 1.80%. Both Amex and DollarSavingsDirect are FDIC insured.

Best regards.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Easier to simply leave my cash at Vanguard in VMMXX. The rate seems to rise every week. It's now at 1.81%.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
You should consider Fidelity, Schwab, or other broker - at least investigate.

You'll find that you have much more available with the CDs. The reason is simple - Ally is only going to offer you Ally CDs. The yields and terms available are only going to be what Ally is offering. If you have an account with Fidelity or Schwab, you'll be able to choose CDs from many banks and they are all offering competitive rates for all maturities.

The fact that you are looking to keep your maturities to 1 year and under because of what you perceive are Ally-specific issues with rates above 1 year emphasizes the point.

Below is the link to Fidelity's current rates - just focus on the top line in the table for CDs (New Issues) and be sure Highest Yield is selected for View by. The CDs being offered by Fidelity are higher yielding than at every maturity compared to what Ally is offering - and there are no minimums (aside from the $1000 for purchasing one CD) to get the rate, as is the case with Ally.

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding

I can appreciate having everything at one institution to make your financial life easier. However, again, consider what you're doing and why. If you're sticking to one year and under, you're probably sacrificing more than just a few basis points by not going to 2-year, or 3-year. 3-year is going to be yielding 3% before the end of summer. That could be a full percentage point or higher than you're getting for CDs under one year - $1000+/year on $100k. That's a nice amount of additional cash for a little effort. I did just check out Ally's CD rates on their site, and I completely agree with you - they are not competitive for CDs longer than 1 year. But your savings/investing/returns should not be limited because of what the institution you're dealing with can offer - not in this era.

There's no cost to investigate.

As far as high yield savings accounts, American Express is at 1.55%, and we keep the bulk of our non-CD cash with DollarSavingsDirect.com, currently at 1.80%. Both Amex and DollarSavingsDirect are FDIC insured.

Best regards.
You are right njhowie. I was/am going for convenience of 1 institution on the short end. I have my cash at Ally to be used for funding current spending this year and future years (ACA limits).

I actually have a 2 yr CD Ladder already at Fidelity with brokered CD's.
I have my TIRA and Roth at Fidelity. So totally familiar with Fidelity. I guess the same reason I am not using Schwab or Vanguard. Less to keep track of.
EDIT - I can't go out 3 years for some of the monies, as it will be used for some of the yearly expenses.

Will rethink. I appreciate the straight talk.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have three high yield savings accounts open. I may move some around a bit depending on rate. But in terms of opening a new account due to a slightly higher rate - I’m not so aggressive about it.

At the moment none of my accounts exceed 1.55%, and there are some higher yielding accounts out there. I haven’t bothered to open any - inertia.

I do have quite a lot in 1.75% short-term no penalty CDs at Ally, so I really don’t sweat it. Since they are no penalty CDs it’s the same instant liquidity as a high yield savings account.

Later this year I’ll probably start using t-bills.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #13

I stopped sending new money to Ally. Still making monthly deposits in several other high yield savings accounts and have some CD's scattered around. Treasuries through Fido are getting more of my attention and cash these days.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #14

Quote:
I used to bounce around, but stopped 4 or 5 years ago and settled on Ally for savings. If they don't have the best rate, they will be close enough to not make switching worthwhile.

CDs are a different matter - I look for the best rate I can find in that case.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I switch between AmEx Personal Savings and Ally. This is basically short term money, so I don't ladder, but I did just put a little less than half of it in Ally's one year CD at 2%, not wanting to lock in longer than that but figuring that the savings rates probably won't get to that number or much past it in the next year, so why not get a smidge extra.

No more new banks for me, though. I'll chase points between these two, but that's it, unless one or the other loses its competitiveness over time.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
Easier to simply leave my cash at Vanguard in VMMXX. The rate seems to rise every week. It's now at 1.81%.
I had all our cash in VMMXX for many years (a handy sweep account), but moved it to Ally a few years ago after almost a year at essentially zero return from VMMXX. It would be nice to have our cash back at Vanguard with the rest of our portfolio, but I’ll give it some time. Ally paid much better than VMMXX for years. I’d rather not chase.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

One year t-bills are well above 2% and they are liquid.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upset264 View Post
One year t-bills are well above 2% and they are liquid.
I didn't know they were liquid in the same way as cash? I thought you only got back principal if you sold them back to Treasury before term. And if you sell early on the secondary market, what "interest" you received was determined in much the same way as bonds? IOW if rates were the same at the time you sell, you would NOT get back 2% on the secondary market.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I didn't know they were liquid in the same way as cash? I thought you only got back principal if you sold them back to Treasury before term. And if you sell early on the secondary market, what "interest" you received was determined in much the same way as bonds? IOW if rates were the same at the time you sell, you would NOT get back 2% on the secondary market.
Right, they're short term bonds. But due to their short term they're not subject to much interest rate risk. If held in a brokerage account you can sell them anytime you want at the market price.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post

+1

Just moved my Ally savings here
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote