Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I carry two cards (because most pumps won't let us fill up the motorhome tank on one card)...
Can't you swipe the card a second time if you reach the $ limit on the first try? I've never had a problem doing that (Penfed Visa).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The most interesting fraud catch was on the day before my DD wedding. She charged the wedding reception at the Sainte Claire in San Jose 24 hours earlier - a huge $ that required pre-clearance. Then we went to Nordstrom's at the Stanford Mall. When we got back to her place Visa called.. someone had used her # at Montgomery Ward. They concluded that this was a very unusual purchase given her spending pattern. She had her Visa in her wallet so they concluded that the perp's source of information was on receipts found when she ran her car through a car wash hours before.

There was a lot of stress because their honeymoon charges were also to go on that card. Need I say Visa told her to go to a specific local bank and a new card (and authorizations) would be waiting for her.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
I carry two cards (because most pumps won't let us fill up the motorhome tank on one card) and DH carries one, all different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can't you swipe the card a second time if you reach the $ limit on the first try? I've never had a problem doing that (Penfed Visa).
Just how much does it cost to fill the tank?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
I also don't sign the back of the card anymore, instead I print "ASK FOR ID". Not full proof since not all establishments ask to see the card anymore, you just swipe it. But should still be helpful just in case they do.
The post office still won't accept a card with that instead of a signature. There used to be quite a few other places that wouldn't too. I used to do it that way too, for security purposes, but gave it up when I got denied too many times. Now, as you said, it seldom matters since nobody checks the signature.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I my last fill up was $119, but my personal 'best' is $348...

Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #26

Quote:
I my last fill up was $119, but my personal 'best' is $348...
Whew. And I complain when it goes over $50.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #27

You've clearly never filled up a 60 gallon school bus tank in England or worse, Japan! Yikes!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You've clearly never filled up a 60 gallon school bus tank in England or worse, Japan! Yikes!
No, I've never had the yen to do that... <rimshot>

Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #29

Last week we went online to make a $200 purchase with our Penfed Visa and it was declined so we used our Amex Card (btw, there is no where to sign your name on the back of an Amex Blue Cash card). About 15 minutes later Penfed called to say they had cancelled our card after 3 suspicious purchases today. Could I confirm $30 at the doctor's office, $19 at the pharmacy and a $24 online purchase. I told them that yes, I had been to the doctors then picked up a prescription and my wife had ordered some balls of wool. (she never mentioned the last attempt we had made as the card was already canceled by then). I then said I didn't think a thief was likely to steal my card to go to the doctors and pharmacy in my home town, but I wish their fraud detection software had been able to detect the activity in June when someone walked into many stores in New York and Atlanta over 3 days and bought $23k worth of goods, which is more than my entire annual spend, is in towns hundred of miles of miles from my home, and in conflict with the flags on my card stating that I would be in England at the time of the fraudulent purchases. (it was me checking my account online that discovered the fraud).
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We have two cards that we use the most. A Sam's Club Discover card for everyday stuff, and a Lowe's Visa that we use at Lowe's. The Lowe's card pays you back in Lowe's Rewards, and it offers three percent on purchases at Lowe's. Since it has very few charges on it, we use it for any online charges. The thinking is if the number was stolen, we would notice any strange charges right away. So far we have never had one stolen, but at Walmart I entered my Zipcode wrong one time. When we got home the Discover Fraud department had called to check on it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
I also don't sign the back of the card anymore, instead I print "ASK FOR ID". Not full proof since not all establishments ask to see the card anymore, you just swipe it. But should still be helpful just in case they do.
The signature just signifies that you have agreed to the card's T's & C's.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

We travel a lot, and for reasons above posts carry different cards. Usual pattern is each having one credit card and one ATM card, so four total unique sources of cash. When we're out and about we usual hide one of the ATM cards somewhere in the guesthouse (under a TV, in the bedframe, in book in drawer, etc.) so if a catastrophic mugging happens to both of us we've still got a source of cash.

It is part theft protection and part damn this card won't work in this 3rd world country protection.

When traveling I also always have a a few hundred dollar bills, a few large notes in local currency, and copies of our passport front page squirreled away in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/EK-Secret-Pock.../dp/B00BQH3BHK
Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This may have been a technical issue. Do your cards have Chip & Pin technology?

At the gas pumps I use, you must have a credit card with a chip and then you must enter a PIN.

When I am in the US I am unable to pay at the pump because I don't gave a Zip Code to enter. I have to go to the cashier, agree to pay up to a specified amount, fill up, then return to the cashier to finalize the transaction.

All the Tim Hortons I have been to in the past couple of years use point of sale devices that similarly use chip and pin technology.
No Chip and Pin tech, in fact most of the places we used it mentioned how people don't have to sign for charges anymore, but we had to sign every one.

The other 5 or 6 times I used the self pay pump at the gas station worked and after my phone call to Amex it worked. It was just a PITA for having to call them after I previously called and told them we'd be in Canada, not to mention their spiel about how grate AMEX is for not requiring the call in the first place....not.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #34

I have a credit card that is used only for recurring bills (electricity, cable, alarm, etc.). It is never carried anywhere. It's intent was to be hyper secure so our bills would be paid automatically.

We got a call asking if we had used the card earlier that day in Italy. Unfortunately, I hadn't. The charge was for 1 euro. I asked about how could they get a number and why such a small amount. I was told that the small amount was only to see if it was a good number. The thief could have just been randomly playing with numbers and security number on back and got lucky or they could have hacked one of our payees.

They cancelled the old card and fedexed a new card. I got to spend two hours converting all the bills to the new number. Fortunately, nothing fell through the cracks.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I have a credit card that is used only for recurring bills (electricity, cable, alarm, etc.). It is never carried anywhere. It's intent was to be hyper secure so our bills would be paid automatically.
Good idea.

I hadn't thought of that but luckily all of our critical accounts are auto-paid through a checking account: medical, mortgage, pge. Things paid from the credit card are (luckily for us) companies that I could manage when I got back like Netflix, Comcast, etc. We are almost never away more then a month.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my credit card shut down when I was the one making the purchases. We bought a large TV at one store and the home theater equipment at another, so they shut me down thinking my card was stolen because the activity deviated from my norm. I have started calling them when I am about to do something off program to avoid that.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #37

We always travel with several credit cards. We never, ever use our debit card-either at home or when we travel.

We have had a card 'suspended' for security reasons while traveling in small towns etc. in Costa Rica, South Africa, Turkey, etc. Backup cards allow us to get around this temporary inconvenience.

We always keep the cards in seperate locations so if we get robbed, pick pocketed etc. we aways have one or two cards in secondary safe place. It has happened. When I worked, we always took my business AMex card on day trips so than any untoward activity would not impact our personal accounts.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post

We got a call asking if we had used the card earlier that day in Italy. Unfortunately, I hadn't. The charge was for 1 euro. I asked about how could they get a number and why such a small amount. I was told that the small amount was only to see if it was a good number. The thief could have just been randomly playing with numbers and security number on back and got lucky or they could have hacked one of our payees.

They cancelled the old card and fedexed a new card. I got to spend two hours converting all the bills to the new number. Fortunately, nothing fell through the cracks.
Your card information can be stolen without anybody seeing the physical card. Trust me on this.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #39

Quote:
I carry two cards (because most pumps won't let us fill up the motorhome tank on one card) and DH carries one, all different.
Quote:
It depends on the station. Some will allow a re-swipe, others will not. Most pumps have a $100/swipe maximum, but I've seen as low as $75 and as high as $150.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's 55 gallons, so if it's close to empty and gas is over $3.50 (as it was for most of our 4300 mile trip last month) it can be pretty close to $200.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #40

I had a card shut down once because of a fraud attempt. Someone tried to buy a bunch of crap on the website of an outdoor outfitter type place in another state, it was denied but card was suspended and new ones sent out anyway. Like other poster I got to spend a couple hours changing internet, cable, netflix, groupon, steam, etc. to the new card. Pain in the ass.

I called the company they made the attempt on, the nice fraud dept lady actually gave me the information on what they tried to buy, the IP address, and the shipping address they used. IP was from Nigeria (imagine that eh?) and the shipping address was some house in Florida. I played around with the idea of contacting the police with jurisdiction of that house but after reading up and finding many shipping forwarders are unknowing partners in crime I just blew it off.