Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Alpine Dynamic Dividend Fund ADVDX
Old 04-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tampa
In an attempt to "juice" the yield I've also looked at closed end funds but don't
know much about where to begin. I've been to the ETF and Nuveen sites
and get the discount thing but fees seem high and many are leveraged.
Quantumoline is a very good resource but it gets down to actually making the call onsomething. Preferred stocks might be my best alternative. Thanks again to all for your thoughts.
I would check morningstar's CEF discussion board.

Mike
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
UM2 -

I am watching the Bausch and Lomb situation - BOL.* I think it could get interesting.* Not much in the way of dividends but the cheap factor may kick in at some point.* If it pulls back a lot I still recommend Verifone - PAY.* No dividend, sorry.
I have been keeping an eye on BOL, too, but management appears to be making exactly the wrong moves in response to the problem, so I am in no hurry to buy the stock. I think it will keep falling for some time and I will take a serious look once it settles. Might be of interest in the 30s.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think you can do very well with CEFs, but you need to be aware that the leverage will bring with it more risk/volatility.* Fees are usually high, but you can make up for it by picking a fund with an expense ratio that isn't too nuts and making sure you buy at a significant discount to NAV.* If you keep an eye out, CEFs go to fat discounts to NAV on a regular basis.* I watched HPF go to a 15% or so discount late last year as the capital markets were getting topsy turvy.* It is now at 6% and change, plus the fund spat out a lot of income in the meantime.

So if you want to buy CEFs, pick a few and then wait for your chance.* I like HPF (mostly preferreds), as mentioned above (it is leveraged).* I also like PDT (mix of preferreds and equity, leveraged) in part because it is about 40% owned by an insurance company and when it falls to a fat discount to NAV the usually step in and buy a ton.* If it stayed too far for too long, they would buy up enough to break up the fund and distribute the assets (i.e. force it to go to NAV).
I'm glad you mentioned the Hancock funds. I've had my eye on those. Look into your crystal ball and tell what is a good entry point with HPF and PDT.*
Old 04-13-2006, 07:10 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I'm glad you mentioned the Hancock funds. I've had my eye on those. Look into your crystal ball and tell what is a good entry point with HPF and PDT.*
For HPF, I'd watch for a 14 or 15% discount to NAV. For PDT, I think it rarely gets to far into the double digits for the discount, so a 10 or 11% discount would probably have me trotting out my checkbook.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have been keeping an eye on BOL, too, but management appears to be making exactly the wrong moves in response to the problem, so I am in no hurry to buy the stock. I think it will keep falling for some time and I will take a serious look once it settles. Might be of interest in the 30s.
Yeah mgt is really blowing it and I suspect the media vultures will roast them. 30s sounds pretty good to me as well.