Join Early Retirement Today

Alpine Dynamic Dividend Fund ADVDX
Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Alpine Dynamic Dividend Fund ADVDX

Does anyone use this fund for income? Any thoughts on it or an alternative for juicing
monthly income?
Tony Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Alpine Dynamic Dividend Fund ADVDX
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Strikes me as very trendy, which is usually an indication of an overpriced "flavor of the month" that will ultimately prove not to be such a great idea.

If you want to boost portfolio income include some bonds and some individual securities. There are plenty of things paying out 8 to 10% (and more).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

If you want to boost portfolio income include some bonds and some individual securities.* There are plenty of things paying out 8 to 10% (and more).
How about a few examples excluding GM bonds?*
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems this fund churns looking for dividends. I would be carefull about trading fees and capital gains taxes.

Mike
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
How about a few examples excluding GM bonds?*
Bear in mind that anything paying out this much includes some measure of risk and that you should do your DD. Now then:

- STON: Cemetary company, MLP, 9 to 10% yield. Currently discounted because they are having what appear to be minor accunting issues. TAxable accounts only due to MLP structure.
- CHC: The largest provider of multi-family affordable housing capital. MLP, so tacxable accounts only. 8.8% yield that is mostly tax free if you are not subject to AMT.
- ANH and MFA preferred stocks: yielding 9% or so. Mortgage REITs are in the dumps until the yield curve steepens again, but I cannot imagine a scenario under which these preferreds could get into trouble unless the yield curve stays inverted for years.
- EGLE: Bulk shipping company. 16% yield. Currently out of favor like all shipping companies. Concentrates on Handymax and Supramax ships with relatively long (1 to 3 year) fixed rate charters. Supramax rates have been moving up from their late Jan. lows, but it hasn't been reflected in the stock price yet.

Like I said, none of the above are without risk, but they are paying out a lot of cash and I think they will do just fine over the next few years. I own EGLE and STON, and I have owned the preferreds.

- George Orwell

Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks very much for all your thoughts. Preferred stocks were another
consideration as most of them are also down in price due to the Fed hikes.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bear in mind that anything paying out this much includes some measure of risk and that you should do your DD.* Now then:

- STON: Cemetary company, MLP, 9 to 10% yield.* Currently discounted because they are having what appear to be minor accunting issues.* TAxable accounts only due to MLP structure.
- CHC: The largest provider of multi-family affordable housing capital.* MLP, so tacxable accounts only.* 8.8% yield that is mostly tax free if you are not subject to AMT.
- ANH and MFA preferred stocks: yielding 9% or so.* Mortgage REITs are in the dumps until the yield curve steepens again, but I cannot imagine a scenario under which these preferreds could get into trouble unless the yield curve stays inverted for years.
- EGLE: Bulk shipping company.* 16% yield.* Currently out of favor like all shipping companies.* Concentrates on Handymax and Supramax ships with relatively long (1 to 3 year) fixed rate charters.* Supramax rates have been moving up from their late Jan. lows, but it hasn't been reflected in the stock price yet.

Like I said, none of the above are without risk, but they are paying out a lot of cash and I think they will do just fine over the next few years.* I own EGLE and STON, and I have owned the preferreds.*
Thanks. As I near retirement, I am trying to build some income from a portion of my investments. Although cd's are safe and comfy, I do plan to spice it up a bit by adding a little to higher yielding investments.* Overall I plan to move to a 50/50 balance. Not quite there* as I am more like 45/55 right now.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

given the general market, the current yield suggest it's too good to be true (and this on top of a not-very-low ER) ... I'll join the others in suggestion caution and due diligence
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you really want to own a fund that pays out a lot of dividends, at least look for something cheaper. ADVDX has an expense ratio of 1.23%. Look at DVY, for example.

- George Orwell

Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #10

Dog51 -

http://www.quantumonline.com/Index.cfm

Decent website that may be able to help you with some searches.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #11

FYI - I recently called Vanguard about their upcoming Dividend Appreciation Index fund. It should be available for purchase around April 20th. They didn't know what kind of yield it would produce though. Should be another low cost dividend play.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #12

My bet is 2.5-2.8% tops.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #13

Probably. Their Financials VIPER is paying about that. The Utilities VIPER is a little over 3% though. I'm sure it will be a conservative dividend-paying stock fund, hence a moderate yield.

It's tempting at times to snap up some 10-15 of these 4% dividend yielding stocks. Citi comes to mind. A reasonable P/E ratio and good div yield.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

In an attempt to "juice" the yield I've also looked at closed end funds but don't
know much about where to begin. I've been to the ETF and Nuveen sites
and get the discount thing but fees seem high and many are leveraged.
Quantumoline is a very good resource but it gets down to actually making the call on
something. Preferred stocks might be my best alternative. Thanks again to all for your thoughts.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tampa
In an attempt to "juice" the yield I've also looked at closed end funds but don't
know much about where to begin. I've been to the ETF and Nuveen sites
and get the discount thing but fees seem high and many are leveraged.
Quantumoline is a very good resource but it gets down to actually making the call on
something. Preferred stocks might be my best alternative. Thanks again to all for your thoughts.
I think you can do very well with CEFs, but you need to be aware that the leverage will bring with it more risk/volatility. Fees are usually high, but you can make up for it by picking a fund with an expense ratio that isn't too nuts and making sure you buy at a significant discount to NAV. If you keep an eye out, CEFs go to fat discounts to NAV on a regular basis. I watched HPF go to a 15% or so discount late last year as the capital markets were getting topsy turvy. It is now at 6% and change, plus the fund spat out a lot of income in the meantime.

So if you want to buy CEFs, pick a few and then wait for your chance. I like HPF (mostly preferreds), as mentioned above (it is leveraged). I also like PDT (mix of preferreds and equity, leveraged) in part because it is about 40% owned by an insurance company and when it falls to a fat discount to NAV the usually step in and buy a ton. If it stayed too far for too long, they would buy up enough to break up the fund and distribute the assets (i.e. force it to go to NAV).

- George Orwell

Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bear in mind that anything paying out this much includes some measure of risk and that you should do your DD.* Now then:

- STON: Cemetary company, MLP, 9 to 10% yield.* Currently discounted because they are having what appear to be minor accunting issues.* TAxable accounts only due to MLP structure.
- CHC: The largest provider of multi-family affordable housing capital.* MLP, so tacxable accounts only.* 8.8% yield that is mostly tax free if you are not subject to AMT.
- ANH and MFA preferred stocks: yielding 9% or so.* Mortgage REITs are in the dumps until the yield curve steepens again, but I cannot imagine a scenario under which these preferreds could get into trouble unless the yield curve stays inverted for years.
- EGLE: Bulk shipping company.* 16% yield.* Currently out of favor like all shipping companies.* Concentrates on Handymax and Supramax ships with relatively long (1 to 3 year) fixed rate charters.* Supramax rates have been moving up from their late Jan. lows, but it hasn't been reflected in the stock price yet.

Like I said, none of the above are without risk, but they are paying out a lot of cash and I think they will do just fine over the next few years.* I own EGLE and STON, and I have owned the preferreds.*
I did not do much research, but dividend payout ratios of 180% and 794% do not look sustainable..

I would do something like Dow with a 3.5 yield, a little over 8 PE and only a 29% payout rate...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I did not do much research, but dividend payout ratios of 180% and 794% do not look sustainable..
For EGLE, CHC and STON, you can ignore net income. Look at cash flow.

- George Orwell

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

brewer 12345,

Thanks again. I will check out some of your picks. It seems a lot of these CEF discounts gap widely at years end. I will heed your advice and keep an eye on a few.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yup

Keep posting picks Brewer and anyone else who wants to chime in - I'm starting a mad money list. Can't get the Norwegian widow out of my system - so I try to 'quasi pair' a lower div stock with a higher div payer to get the the overall individual stock portfolio north of 3% so it in turn works with the larger balanced index portfolio - ie - so total ER portfolio gives me at least 3% current yield(fallback core budget).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #20

UM2 -

I am watching the Bausch and Lomb situation - BOL. I think it could get interesting. Not much in the way of dividends but the cheap factor may kick in at some point. If it pulls back a lot I still recommend Verifone - PAY. No dividend, sorry.