Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Alternative, Reduced Expense "Investments"
Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife is ten times more frugal than I am, and she can't stand the compact fluorescents, mainly because they don't go to full brightness instantly. But this thread has me thinking that maybe I'll give them another shot.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks wahoo, I may give that a shot .. considering that the lamp is the one that gets the most use.

I had read that the florescent's delay in coming on, and its "warm-up" to full brightness is one of the reasons it saves energy -- that the "instant on" of regular bulbs requires a big shot of energy. True?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
I had read that the florescent's delay in coming on, and its "warm-up" to full brightness is one of the reasons it saves energy -- that the "instant on" of regular bulbs requires a big shot of energy. True?
I don't think so, but I'm no engine-near. According to this website, it's becasue incandescent lighting has to heat a filament hot enough to glow brightly (requiring lots of 'juice' to do so) while a fluorescent bulb passes electrons through a gas, getting the stuff coating the inside of the bulb all excited and causing it to glow (requiring only about 25% as much 'juice' to produce the equivalent amount of light).

Personally, I think it's done by combining swamp gas, mirrors and fairy dust.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
My wife is ten times more frugal than I am, and she can't stand the compact fluorescents, mainly because they don't go to full brightness instantly. But this thread has me thinking that maybe I'll give them another shot.
Some of the cheaper ones still brighten slowly, but they come on to a reasonable brightness instantly unlike the older ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
I doubt it. I expect the heat output of an incandescent is where all the extra energy goes.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
VoyT:
Quote:
I doubt it. I expect the heat output of an incandescent is where all the extra energy goes.
I think you're both right. Incandescents put out a broad spectrum of radiation, lots of which is outside the visible range and doesn't contribute to brightness. Fluorescents put all their energy into a few spectral lines, which are in the visible range by design. (Ultraviolet light generated in the gas excites phosphors coating the glass, which generate light at certain visible lines, dependent on the type of bulb.) So fluorescents are more efficient than incandescents.

The slow ramp up is because the bulb has to reach some optimal temperature for maximum efficiency. I think that traditional fluorescents compensate for this, using more energy in the first minute of operation to excite the gas than later. Compact fluorescents don't don't seem to bother with this, which saves energy (compared to traditional fluorescents), but leads to a slowly rising brightness. So the lack of instant-full-brightness makes compact fluorescents more energy-saving than traditional fluorescents.

Or something like that. Corrections welcome.

Bpp
Old 04-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we just made a trip to Home Depot for various supplies. I decided to pick up some fluorescents and give them a try. All they stocked were bulbs labeled "soft white". The light from them seems to be about the same as the incandescents. These come on instantly when I flip the switch. The package of 6 (60 watt light output) cost $10. Not bad.
I also checked into the heat reflective screens. They have the frame material and rolls of screen to cut and DIY for about $20 per window (screen included)...... or the frame kits (easier to put together) for about $10. You still have to buy the screen material separately and install it. No kits in the size I needed though. I may try do this project before the heat sets in.

This has been an interesting discussion. I've enjoyed it.

......#......
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey
This has been an interesting discussion. I've enjoyed it.
Profitable, too!

Just send a small share to Dory's server fund via PayPal...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

It's my understanding that the reason incandescents are so inefficient is that they are actually heaters that put off light as a by-product (no, that's not a joke). And the light output drops quickly with reduced voltage, before much heat does. What this means is that when you dim the bulbs, they don't save nearly the energy percent as the drop in light. So you're probably using 80% of the electricity to get half the light.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 AM   #49

Yep, incandescents are inefficient simply because they convert most of their energy to heat.* There's no big spike of power usage upon turning them on.* That rumor probably got started because the old fashioned long tube flourescent lights used ballasts that did use a lot of power for a little while to start them up.* *Newer flourescent systems are very energy efficient even upon startup, so there's no need to be concerned about power waste upon turnon.* The only concern is that the startup process stresses them a bit and lowers the bulb lifetime, but not enough that it's anything to be worried about.*

Note that when it's cold out and you have the heater on, you are using the incandescent heat so it's not a total loss.* *Heating with gas is cheaper in most places, but heating with incandescent lights is probably just as efficient as heating with an electric space heater.

I love the idea of compact flourescents but I detest the quality of light they put out.* As others have mentioned the output is only in a few frequencies (colors) of light, whereas incandescents have a smooth output at all frequencies in the visible spectrum.* This means that colors look different, not as natural, with flourescents.* *Also flourescents pulse the light on and off like a movie projector, but incandescents are steady.* Most of the time this strobing effect isn't a problem since the rate is fast enough that the human vision system integrates it.* *But sometimes the strobing is noticeable, especially when I'm tired or looking at a flourescent light out of my peripheral vision which is more sensitive to movement and pulsing.*

I just don't feel like I'm at "home" with flourescents, so most lights in my place are halogen (incandescent).* *They are improving in both the color rendition and strobing, so maybe in a decade they will be good enough that I'll be comfortable with them.* I suppose I should do a formal calculation to see how much I'm paying for my visual comfort.

On another note, this thread reminded me I needed to check for long distance deals.* For about 5 years I've been paying 4 cents a minute with Covista, but after googling 'long distance' today I found a place that does 2.5 cents a minute, so I'm switching.* These rates are with no monthly fees.* *Long distance seems to be one of the few areas in life where there's no quality penalty to saving money.* The supercheap companies are just as reliable and clear as the big names, in my experience.* Everything is digital between the local switches now, and the little companies just lease their bandwidth from the big players, so you don't have to worry much about getting a bad line.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #50

Another way to save money on high speed internet is to share it. I share a wifi connection with my neighbor in the condo next to me, and we split the bill. I pay $23/mo which is about the same as if I switched every year to whoever had the best deal, but I don't have to hassle with switching.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can live with the drawbacks, use VOIP for phone. Even better, if the person(s) you talk to regularly have PCs and broadband, use Skype. It's free and I've found the voice quality to be substantially better than a landline, even when talking around the world.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:32 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

actually the incandescent dimmers today are better at saving electricity...the dimmers of yesterday were simply variable resisters which dissapated most of the electricity saved into heat...for the last decade or so dimmers are actually pulse output..they chop the electricity up by switching on and off very quickly ...the longer the off cycle the dimmer the light gets..very little heat loss and since no electricity is consumed by the bulb in the off pulse they do tend to be more efficiant...well as efficiant as incandescent can get anyway
Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yep, incandescents are inefficient simply because they convert most of their energy to heat. There's no big spike of power usage upon turning them on" quote
actually yes there is a very large spike with incandescent lamps...while a motor may draw 5 or 6 times its running amperage upon start up an incandecent lamp can draw over 10x its running current....the difference is the motor draws it over a longer starting period while a lamp is very very quick to drop down. ....
if you notice switches and contactors carry a resistive rating (lamps and heating) and an inductive rating (motors and ballast driven lamps) ...the better grade contactors actually have different models for lighting with different springs and contact points to better deal with the higher inrush of lighting..........

and yes im in the lighting business now 30 years,,,cant wait to er......
Old 04-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #54

I have most of the bulbs changed in my house but there are 3 lamps I can't change because they have the kind of shade that clips on the bulb, anyone seen a florescent that will handle that ?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I like the slow ramp up of fluorescents. When you turn a light on in a dark room or hallway at night, you dont get blasted with hundreds of watts of light output right away. Gives your eyes a little time to adjust.

Another big saver for us, living in a warmer climate that features a long hot summer with cool nights: a whole house fan. I installed ours in the attic door opening, connected the wiring to an extension cord and plugged it in at the outlet for the attic mounted furnace. Took about 15 minutes. I used an X-10 remote power controller so I can turn it on and off remotely.

In the evening, when it cools down, I can flip it on and run it most of the night. This cools the house down into the upper 60's for most of the summer. In the morning, I shut it off and close all the doors and windows. The interior temps dont go over 78 until about 5-6pm, when we're just an hour or two away from turning the fan back on. Excepting weeks when we're over 100 degrees and it doesnt cool down until midnight, we dont run the a/c very much.

Nice way to 'air out' the house in 5-10 minutes too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I have most of the bulbs changed in my house but there are 3 lamps I can't change because they have the kind of shade that clips on the bulb, anyone seen a florescent that will handle that ?
check out www.tcpi.com...go to prroduct catalogs and click on lamps and fixture
go to decorative lamps....it maybe one of those.....
if you dont see it i need to know what lamp we are talking about and ill try to point you in the right direction
Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #57

Thanks mathjack, I guess I need to try a couple of the lighting stores around me instead of Home Cheapo or Walmart. I would imagine I'd save plenty even if the bulb costs me a little more.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

a big moneysaver, besides these great tips is to drive less. The cost of driving a car is similar to what businesses allow, depending on your car with depreciation, insurance etc. it can be up to 50 cents a mile. If you are still working and cannot carpool at least do your errands on the way and back if at all possible.

Stay out of stores, don't recreationally shop or browse e-bay or watch QVC. Too much temptation. If you need something, research online and go directly to the area of the store to buy it. Better yet, see if you can borrow or buy something secondhand.

Learn to cook. It is fun to occasionally go to restaurants, especially with friends, but the amount you spend on one meal you could eat quite well for a week.

Cut the financial ties to your grown children. Help with education if you can, but after undergrad let them learn how to live independent of you. It will be the biggest favor you can do them and you.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Birkenstocks
(not really lbyms)
OTOH I still have my Birkenstock sandals that are at least 15 years old. I repaired them one time. I used to wear them every day until I became a cold sissy.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Downsizing home to one of these,

http://www.inhabitat.com/prefabhousing.php

with solar power, a wind turbine, and a well.
That sounds very cool, but the link didn't make it clear which one you're getting. Do you have specifics?