Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Alternative, Reduced Expense "Investments"
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
This would drive my inner engineer crazy.
Five bucks says there used to be a duplex outlet/switch somewhere in the house and a prior owner stood one day flipping the switch for half an hour while checking what it turned on and off, and couldnt find anything, then replaced it with a standard duplex ac outlet so he could have an extra outlet.

Look for a waist high or higher duplex ac outlet somewhere near the front of the house. Take off the cover. Bet you find the usual in and out and a mysterious third set of wires hardwired in. Might also have been wired in with the regular front porch light and someone decided they just wanted the post light on all the time and split it off and hardwired it to the AC.

I had to say it, and there it is...my first fluorescent failed in the garage yesterday. Of course, its the ten+ old double tube style that was about 6" long, and it was mounted in a garage door opener (plenty of vibration) and the garage gets to 100+ regularly during the summer...BUT THATS NO EXCUSE! Cheap piece of junk!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Five bucks says there used to be a duplex outlet/switch somewhere in the house and a prior owner stood one day flipping the switch for half an hour while checking what it turned on and off, and couldnt find anything, then replaced it with a standard duplex ac outlet so he could have an extra outlet.

Look for a waist high or higher duplex ac outlet somewhere near the front of the house. Take off the cover. Bet you find the usual in and out and a mysterious third set of wires hardwired in. Might also have been wired in with the regular front porch light and someone decided they just wanted the post light on all the time and split it off and hardwired it to the AC.

I'll look around when I come home from work today. The place was built in 1903 so it is no fun looking at wiring.

EDIT: odds are you are going to owe me the five bucks as I don't think we have any outlets at all waist high or above. Most all our outlets are on the floor.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I'll look around when I come home from work today.* The place was built in 1903 so it is no fun looking at wiring.*
EDIT: odds are you are going to owe me the five bucks as I don't think we have any outlets at all waist high or above.* Most all our outlets are on the floor.*
I'm never complaining about our "old" house again!

Next time you consider a renovation you might call "This Old House" and the Smithsonian...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Wood heat has been a huge saver for us. Of course having all the free firewood we want from a friend's land helps immensely.

When we built our home 20 yrs ago we went with a state certified energy star home. We were inspected by the energy company along with the state's dept of energy on a regular basis. I calculated the savings last yr based on our home size, location, etc. and on avg we should use $2500 worth of utilities. We used just under $1500. Add that up over the 20 yrs and it has saved us a bundle.

Just recently we traded in a 6 yr old vehicle that got 18-20 mpg for a new vehicle that is rated at 26-30 mpg.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I'll look around when I come home from work today. The place was built in 1903 so it is no fun looking at wiring.

EDIT: odds are you are going to owe me the five bucks as I don't think we have any outlets at all waist high or above. Most all our outlets are on the floor.
If your wiring hasnt been updated at all, it might be the old cloth covered knob and tube wiring...which should be a nice fire hazard by right about now. In fact, some of it might have shorted together, causing the light to stay on...

If you cant find an outlet thats waist high (and I get to define what height "waist" is, since mine and yours are substantially different), then i'll bet someone couldnt figure out what the switch was for, took it out and plastered or wallpapered over it at some point...

So when you're done with the in-wall sonograms and the full rewiring project, if you still cant find it, drop by and i'll give you the five bucks...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wood heat

I get a logging truck-load of logs dumped on the yard. Provides exercise and 3 years or so of heat.

As an added bonus, the basement woodstove happened to be situated just below the furnace air return, so I cut an air intake directly above the stove and run the furnace fan without the furnace. It forces heated air all over the house--it's amazing how well it works!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scr3w the lightbulb Martha, what a beautiful garden!