Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A friend of mine told me, and I doubt it is original, you have to get your priorities right.

1st Religion, weather you believe or not you will spend the rest of eternity with your decision

2nd. Family, you will spend the rest of your time on earth with this decision

3rd. Work, it will give you the resources to do the other two.

If you change the priorities it just doesn't not work.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
A friend of mine told me, and I doubt it is original, you have to get your priorities right.

1st Religion, weather you believe or not you will spend the rest of eternity with your decision

2nd. Family, you will spend the rest of your time on earth with this decision

3rd. Work, it will give you the resources to do the other two.

I have found that people that put their religion before anything else can have big problems in their lives and relationships. That is why to me family and friends come first. It does work.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #183

You may have miss interpreted what I meant. Placing Religion first does not mean you must become a religious fanatic. The fact that I think this is the right order does not mean you place Religion or Family so far above Work that you can't hold a job. You don't put Religion so far above Family that your neglect you family.

One may not believe there is a God. That's fine, and that person will live with their choice for eternity. If they are right no harm no foul. If they are wrong, well maybe still no harm. They just need to be comfortable with their beliefs.

Religion is always a hard topic. That's why it and politics makes for such poor conversations with guest. I am not sure who said it, but they were talking about the Ayatollah in Iran, when they said 'you can argue with a man who talks to God, but you can't argue with a man that believes God is talking to him.'
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You may have miss interpreted what I meant. Placing Religion first does not mean you must become a religious fanatic. The fact that I think this is the right order does not mean you place Religion or Family so far above Work that you can't hold a job. You don't put Religion so far above Family that your neglect you family.

One may not believe there is a God. That's fine, and that person will live with their choice for eternity. If they are right no harm no foul. If they are wrong, well maybe still no harm. They just need to be comfortable with their beliefs.

Religion is always a hard topic. That's why it and politics makes for such poor conversations with guest. I am not sure who said it, but they were talking about the Ayatollah in Iran, when they said 'you can argue with a man who talks to God, but you can't argue with a man that believes God is talking to him.'
What I am trying to say is people that are religious or have no religion at all and put their family first can actually do better than those that put religion first. Family should come before religion.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #185

For the OP's wife her kids/house/family setup may well BE her 'religion'. The OP may or may not be included in the wife's perception of this; he may even have opted himself out.. but sure as shootin' the family is not HIS religion.

For those who are religious, one hopes that family is a priority over cash, but I think Religion, with a capital "R" -in anonymous drive-by posts- best be generally left aside unless that is the agreed-upon topic at hand.

Otherwise we will get into "cleaving" and all that.
(Young'uns: avert yer eyes!)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
you have to get your priorities right.

1st Religion,
Whoa!

Nothing in the OP or in the discussion since has indicated in any way that the OP has any religous issue of any kind. I think you are way out of line to chime in here and make such a broad pronouncement that we all need to put religion first in our lives.

If religion has some meaning and use for you, then please enjoy but keep it to yourself. There is no excuse for you preaching about what we should or should not do about religion. Surely you know there are just as many examples of folks who put religion "first" and caused many more problems. This is not an appropriate forum for you to inject religion.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
Whoa!

Nothing in the OP or in the discussion since has indicated in any way that the OP has any religous issue of any kind. I think you are way out of line to chime in here and make such a broad pronouncement that we all need to put religion first in our lives.

If religion has some meaning and use for you, then please enjoy but keep it to yourself. There is no excuse for you preaching about what we should or should not do about religion.
Excuse me, but I didn't read where Rustic is "preaching" anything objectionable? He certainly is not telling "you" to do anything, as he was merely proferring advise to the thread OP started.

Rustic is merely advising *OP* (and OP only, he isn't telling *you* to do anything) to act in accord with OP's most basic personal beliefs of "how the universe" works---if I may use that phrase as a definition of "religion". I certainly did not read Rustic as trying to "cram" any particular creed down OP's or anyone else's throat.

So ease up friend, Rustic wasn't talking to *you* anyway. And he sure didn't make you be a member of ER forums, or force you to read this particular thread, let alone act in a certain way "religiously". The OP came here asking for advice. Rustic, like the rest of us, merely responded with his own thoughts.

(I can't wait to see you dare to offer some kind of advice in some thread.)
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

So the advice is for OP to adopt a religous point of view (no particular creed, it can be whatever he wants) as long as he makes sure to put it above all else? More important even than family. The suggestion is that it is of eternal importance.

I don't see this advice being helpful and in fact I think it is likely to be harmful. If you believe that your religion whatever it is, is of such supreme importance that you are empowered to do anything because it is your first priority above all else, then you can make all manner of bad decisions and cause harm to anyone else, even family, as long as you observe your religious priority. This can easily become an excuse for bad behavior.

OP issues seem to be needing to balance concerns of all those affected. Husband, wife, kids, included. Suggesting that the religous doctrine of OPs choice will dictate what to do so family is of secondary importance doesn't seem helpful and seems likely to induce bad choices.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

A friendly reminder to board members.

Religion and politics can get folks mighty upset very fast and no matter what you say you won't change their minds so let's keep the discussion civil and On Topic.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
I don't see this advice being helpful and in fact I think it is likely to be harmful. If you believe that your religion whatever it is, is of such supreme importance that you are empowered to do anything because it is your first priority above all else, then you can make all manner of bad decisions and cause harm to anyone else, even family, as long as you observe your religious priority. This can easily become an excuse for bad behavior.
You seem trying to recast the previous poster's advice into something which I don't think he ever said. And therefore would result in none of the "bad effects" you list. It seems the very mention of "religion" raises a negative conotation with you, and you therefore read all kinds of things into the previous poster's advice which simply are not there.

At any rate, OP has free will and can chose which advice to take and which not, including your advice he ignore "religion" (whatever horrible thing that seems to conotate to you).
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you not believe the posted advice was to "get your priorities right. Religion first. Family second. etc" ?

I am not objecting to any creed, indeed we have not specifically identified any. But I do think the advice to put religous priorities first (whatever they may be) before family priorities is wrongheaded. It seems out of place in this thread. I think it is a bad idea in general and a bad idea for OP. I'm not sure if you are arguing in favor of that advice, or just objecting to my objecting.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #192
Full time employment: Posting here.

let's take a break and listen to the GREAT Willie Nelson (play his guitar) and Ms. Dyan Cannon, Two sides to every story

Mr Nelson makes that guitar talk and like I mentioned before seeing Mr. Slim Pickens in this video is worth the price of admission to heaven.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #193

DYAN CANNON!?!?!? Whoa.. NELLIE! I KNOW this song for some reason.. but I don't think I ever saw this film or clip.

I don't know if this story of a nasty cheatin' DAWG is 'appropriate' to the context, Wags, my friend.. Willie's guitar may be talkin' but his A$$ is what needs to do some 'splainin. (Amy Irving .. KEEE-rist... must be the pot.) Hey.. he done busted up a 17-yr. marriage over co-star Amy (not Dyan) in real life . Men. Go figure!

[Amy made out Ok to the tune of 9 figures with Steven, so I ain't cryin' fer her, eggzackly. What happened to the other real 17+yr. Mrs. Nelson by the way side? What's the second side to THAT story?]

Willie 'n' wives are apparently not the most felicitous of combinations.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #194

Quote:
One may not believe there is a God. that person will live with their choice for eternity.
Here's the problem I have with religious fanatics: you think a person can choose what they believe. That's simply not true. One cannot choose what they believe any more than they can choose their age. It's not something you "choose." It's just something that is.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #195

Quote:
I agree 100%.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

Islamic fundementalists put their religion first. Look what a disaster that is. Religion should come after family. It does work. To say if one doesn't put religion first they will fail is just not so.

I have personally seen families that put religion before family and the family became totally disfunctional, the kids wound up on drugs, on welfare and in jail.

wcco.com - Attorney: Arguments, Money Led To Hastings Murders

According to the criminal complaint, Niedere told police he and his parents had argued a lot in recent years about issues including his desire to change churches, missing a church service because he overslept and flirting with younger girls while at church.

The Barna survey interviewed nearly 4000 adults, and indicated that 11% of the adult population is currently divorced, and 25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their life time. Divorce rates for born again Christians register at 27%, which is three percent over the range of adults who are not born again.

"Nationally, 29% of all Baptist adults have been divorced," notes Barna. Slightly higher,at 34% are those in "non-denominational," independent Protestant churches.
"Among non-Christians groups the levels vary ... Jews, for instance, are among those most likely to divorce (30%) have, while atheists and agnostics are below the norm (21%). Mormons, renowned for their emphasis upon strong families, are no different from the national average (24%)." In addition, the Baby Boomers -- that generation often criticized for sexual indulgence, moral relativism and other pernicious behaviors -- has a lower rate of divorce (34%) than the preceding generation (described as "Builders"), who hover at 37%.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
The Barna survey interviewed nearly 4000 adults, and indicated that 11% of the adult population is currently divorced, and 25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their life time. Divorce rates for born again Christians register at 27%, which is three percent over the range of adults who are not born again.

"Nationally, 29% of all Baptist adults have been divorced," notes Barna. Slightly higher,at 34% are those in "non-denominational," independent Protestant churches.
"Among non-Christians groups the levels vary ... Jews, for instance, are among those most likely to divorce (30%) have, while atheists and agnostics are below the norm (21%). Mormons, renowned for their emphasis upon strong families, are no different from the national average (24%)." In addition, the Baby Boomers -- that generation often criticized for sexual indulgence, moral relativism and other pernicious behaviors -- has a lower rate of divorce (34%) than the preceding generation (described as "Builders"), who hover at 37%.
What of the oft cited statistics that the divorce rate in the total population is over 50%? Something with the above study result does not sound "correct". Or if the stats above by religion are accurate, then those groups are doing much better than the population at large.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

Religion and politics can get folks mighty upset very fast and no matter what you say you won't change their minds.......
Paging Dave Ramsey. Paging Dave Ramsey. If you try building a career based on religion-based financial advice, you will fail. You'll just rile and upset people with the religion part.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
The Barna survey interviewed nearly 4000 adults, and indicated that 11% of the adult population is currently divorced, and 25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their life time. Divorce rates for born again Christians register at 27%, which is three percent over the range of adults who are not born again........
Per US Census Bureau, the above stats are a crock. 4000 is a pitifully small sample compared to sample size US Census uses.

Here is an excerpt from the Census Bureau report, with a link to the full report:

"Data in the Census report were collected from both men and women, age 15 and over, and a
different methodology was used than in the NCHS report.

"About 50% of first marriages for men under age 45 may end in
divorce, and between 44 and 52% of women's first marriages
may end in divorce for these age groups. The likelihood of a divorce
is lowest for men and women age 60, for whom 36 % of men
and 32 percent of women may divorce from their first marriage by
the end of their lives. A similar statistical exercise was performed in
1975 using marital history data from the Current Population Survey
(CPS). Projections based on those data implied that about one-third of
married persons who were 25 to 35 years old in 1975 would end their
first marriage in divorce.

"This cohort of people, who in 1996 were about 45 to 55 years old, had
already exceeded these projections as about 40% of men and
women in these ages had divorced from their first marriage. Current
projections now indicate that the proportion could be as high as
50% for persons now in their early forties."
Rose M. Kreider and Jason M. Fields, "Number, Timing, and Duration of
Marriages and Divorces: 1996", U.S. Census Bureau Current Population Reports, February 2002
, p. 18.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Here's the problem I have with religious fanatics: you think a person can choose what they believe.
Who said anything about "religious fanatics"? You are the only one talking about "fanaticism" here. OP did not mention religion at all that I remember. You assume he would be "fanatical" and therefore practice some "religious beliefs" which would be detrimental to his family. You must assume he would be some kind of satanist or something?