Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Am I a Miser?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by fireme

Prenups shouldn't be one sided; they are typically done with both sides having lawyers.
It would still be one sided if one person had all the money.

This reminds me of the Seinfeild episode where George is trying to get out of marrying his girlfriend and to do so, he suggests a prenup. She laughes and says sure--she had all the money and George had nothing.

I'm glad we got married when we were young and poor.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Originally Posted by dex
Well it may not be auspicious but with a 50% divovce rate for the first marriage and increaseing with each succeding marriage, it may be prudent.

"Marriage is very much like a violin; after the sweet music is over, the strings are attached."

"A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience." -
* --* Samuel Johnson
"A faint heart never won fair lady."

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going with pittsburgh/carolina superbowl. Remember you saw it here first on roller derby.

The 50% divorce rate is because people choose to be with the wrong people. But that doesnt extend to money. I've seen a lot of people willing to marry someone, but not willing to blend finances...or one devoutly wants to control the money.

Easy to divorce. Hard to make that money back. I think thats a sign. If you're willing to pour all your assets into the same bucket you trust and respect each other. If you want a prenup or want to keep your money to yourself, you're missing some part of trust or respect...IMO. In that case, you should definitely get a prenup because you've got a great shot at a divorce because you got married to someone you dont trust or that you think would screw you in a divorce.

All that having been said, even in a nearly perfect situation a little rain might fall.

Wife and I combined assets the week after we were married, joint all the way. I trust and respect her. If I ever do anything that makes her want to dig into me with a sharp kitchen utensil then I deserve to lose half my money.

Funny, my wife and I had that conversation last week regarding that football player who was stabbed by his wife, supposedly by accident. I said to my wife "Sorry, but if you ever stab me i'm not going along with the 'it was an accident' story."...her reply "If I ever stab you, you wont be around to tell any stories and you'll have deserved it". Probably about right.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #44

() that sounds like the conversations dh and I have. We didn't do a prenup because we both came into the marriage with the same amount of assets. He has since retired and I have gone on to make a crap load of money (as he puts it). He is having a hard time with calling it our money because I make it and not him, funny he doesn't have a problem spending "our" money though.

The other day he told me I've converted him. To what I asked. He said to a cheapskate. I thought to myself, gee all this hard work has finally paid off LOL.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #45

Originally Posted by unclemick2
Gonna cruise - trying to turn over a new leaf.

But the 'keeping up appearances' part is tempted to wear my bought on sale Bib overalls - to fire for effect so to speak.

Of course - I still have a few Jimmy Buffett Aloha type shirts and shorts/cutoff's( saved from New Orleans) - if the coveralls lay an egg.
Unclemick: I have a take off on an old "play for the girls"-- that I used in my younger days with a glow plug as bait--when you're on your cruise. First, I suggest you go to Goodwill and buy yourself a used suit, preferrably light in color or white or cream. Then sew the top to the bottom so you end up with coversuitalls. When you're on the promenade deck and you see an attractive young thing that is alone and, perhaps, looking for adventure, walk up to her and say "I have a portfolio this big." While doing this, raise your hands up, holding your elbows to your sides and wiggle them (your hands) just slightly port to starboard. If she smiles, your in like Flint. You immediately screen out the too serious, less confident ones who will be apalled by your behavior. But a 'good' woman will see your ploy for what it is--a seriously fun adventure with someone filled with dash and wit. If you get some wisegirl remark like "Just keep your pants on buddy," just smile and show her the newly sewed seam between your pants and coat and say "Not to worry, Ma'am." This might work on the really tough ones.

This technique is like a stock screener but not aimed at money or making it. But don't forget Graham & Dodd. Work out the Debt to Fun ratio yourself. Ignore the Norwegian widow if you strike gold. heh heh

Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote