Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been thinking about buying I Bonds this year too, after reading many of the comments on this site. In the process of filling out the Treasury Direct application form it looks like they require a bank checking or savings account in order to buy the bonds. No problem there, except I was planning on buying them in my IRA. Is there a way to do that? Or is there a reason not to?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
I have been thinking about buying I Bonds this year too, after reading many of the comments on this site. In the process of filling out the Treasury Direct application form it looks like they require a bank checking or savings account in order to buy the bonds. No problem there, except I was planning on buying them in my IRA. Is there a way to do that? Or is there a reason not to?
Doesn't look to practical. This short article may help explain.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/reti...d-in-roth.aspx

Old 10-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mulligan
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the turnaround time. We got our "paper" bonds bought at the bank on Friday. I will fill out the TD form and see what happens. Thanks again
S
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm trying to get DH to buy the maximum amount of I-Bonds before 11/1. He is leary of buying them online. Anyone know "what's the adequate
amount of documentation in the event Treasury Direct loses the record"? We already have acccounts but we haven't bought any bonds since they lowered the limit. I think I used to go to the Federal Reserve Bank in person and buy the bonds.

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
I'm trying to get DH to buy the maximum amount of I-Bonds before 11/1. He is leary of buying them online. Anyone know "what's the adequate
amount of documentation in the event Treasury Direct loses the record"? We already have acccounts but we haven't bought any bonds since they lowered the limit. I think I used to go to the Federal Reserve Bank in person and buy the bonds.

Thanks!!
I'm still waiting for my access card, but I'm sure with any purchase you get a receipt, which can be filed electronically or printed off and put in a shoebox. I can't imagine they are less capable than eBay sellers.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post

Thanks!!
Similar to if you lost your paper bonds. It is easier if you have a record of the serial numbers.

You require your SSN and valid photo ID. The savings bond wizard which you download from the site allows you to enter the serial number of each bond. You can then save the file on your PC and keep a copy somewhere safe (or print out a copy). Or you can record the serial numbers just like you do for your paper bonds.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not sure how to do that from an IRA.

The interest on the I-Bonds accumulates tax-deferred so there is that advantage.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not sure how to do that from an IRA.

The interest on the I-Bonds accumulates tax-deferred so there is that advantage.
Yeah, it turns out (see Mulligan's post above) that it doesn't really work with IRAs. His link is about Roth's, but there's another link in that article about TIRAs. So I'll just do it the old fashioned way. Hopefully I'll get my access card before the 30th.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan

Thanks!!
I'm assuming you have already bought your paper limit of 10 k already? I did a lot of reading because I'm not like your husband, but each year, I break down a little more. There is no way around doing it electronically if you want to max it. They are really trying to get out of the paper business except for the backdoor tax refund, and who knows how much longer that will go. Just print off what it says when it's deposited. Remember you will have a record from the wire transfer from your bank showing it went to treasury. I must really be turning a new technological leaf. I bought mine a month ago and still haven't even printed off a record of it. I did access the account to make sure they were there though.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Got the bank portion of the I-Bond purchase done today..5k for me -5K for DW.

Unfortunately, the 5K I had planned to buy through Treasury Direct will not happen before November 1. When I dusted off the cobwebs on the account, I discovered the bank we had on file was one from our former location. Long since been closed. (the account)
So I'll just enter one of our current banks and we'll be good--right? Nope, wrong. To accomplish a change of bank one must download a form, complete said form, take form to bank in person to gather verification signature, followed by mailing to Treasury, and lastly, allowing two weeks to process....Oh well, my fault for not taking an occasional peak at those little used accounts.
So, I've set the alarm for late April to look at the May 1 rate. Perhaps a chance to try again..
I found a way for you to change/update your bank info w/o having to wait for your mail in form to take effect. All you need to do is create a linked custom acct under "Manage Direct". Setup your new bank info, then you can purchase online! Apparently, this creates a linked account and the waiting rules don't apply, I did it on my son's minor account and it let me create a new custom acct for myself and new bank acct data for each acct type and I can make my online purchase now.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I found a way for you to change/update your bank info w/o having to wait for your mail in form to take effect. All you need to do is create a linked custom acct under "Manage Direct". Setup your new bank info, then you can purchase online! Apparently, this creates a linked account and the waiting rules don't apply, I did it on my son's minor account and it let me create a new custom acct for myself and new bank acct data for each acct type and I can make my online purchase now.
Thanks for the info...I'm going to hold on further I-Bond purchases.
My cash was going to come out of high yield, and given the monster run it has been on in October, I feel I should let it ride. I don't think we are done with large inflation adjustments on the I-Bonds..More opportunities to come.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #52

I just got an email from TreasuryDirect about my bank acct changes that I mailed to them at end of day last Thur (10/20). The changes have been processed, so that's only 3 business days of time.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies! Especially, the one about the serial numbers. I hadn't thought about that. It makes sense to me. Hopefully, it does to DH.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there a way to access I bond serial numbers for electronic I bonds? I looked all over on treasury direct and could see no way to do this. Lacking serial numbers what is your proof that you purchased electronically other than printing out the page showing your account balance?

Tom
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #55

DH and I just went to the bank this am to get DH's $5000.00 paper I bonds. I bought mine a while back. Thanks for keeping people in the know about these bonds.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Is there a way to access I bond serial numbers for electronic I bonds? I looked all over on treasury direct and could see no way to do this. Lacking serial numbers what is your proof that you purchased electronically other than printing out the page showing your account balance?

Tom
It seems the confirm # is the only thing you get. I think this and SS# will be enough to identify it if needed.

I just clicked on the security history, since I paid via Bank acct, I show all the bank info and a trace # too.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

There has a lot of Internet chatter at various websites about purchasing I bonds the past couple months. I would be curious to know if there was a spike. They will probably retaliate by lowering the purchase limit to $1000 next year, changing the purpose of program from small investor to very small investor.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
There has a lot of Internet chatter at various websites about purchasing I bonds the past couple months. I would be curious to know if there was a spike. They will probably retaliate by lowering the purchase limit to $1000 next year, changing the purpose of program from small investor to very small investor.
Don't know about sales, but the article below talks about the 12 month strategy we have been talking about in this thread.
Series I Savings Bonds Tops CDs, Pays 3.11% in 12 Months | MyBankTracker.com
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
It seems the confirm # is the only thing you get. I think this and SS# will be enough to identify it if needed.

I just clicked on the security history, since I paid via Bank acct, I show all the bank info and a trace # too.
Yes, it is the confirm number I have listed in the "serial number" column of the bond wizard. I just logged on and the confirm number is listed against each bond, so I guess this works as a serial number.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #60

can i buy i-bonds as a present for my brother? if so, will they be in my name or his? if so, do they count against my buying limit or or his?