Am I crazy to consider paying advisor fees?

I The key point here is what if you don't feel you can do better and after they take your 1% you're still better off.

Many folks believe that there is no way to increase yield to compensate for fees without incurring additional risk.

For example, from this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...et-ameriprise-all-bad-49701-3.html#post928258

At Ameriprise, the financial advisor would have to consistently beat the index by 2-3% to get the same result (which means taking more risk).

To OP,

Crazy? no.

Buy there's lots of money to save and lot to learn from doing it on your own.

I do see both sides too. It's kind of like buildiing your own computer. On one hand, who in their right mind would want to do that? Why not just buy one? I've done both. From building one, I've learned that now when the tech pros say stuff like,
"the problem must be the motherboard..." I know if they are giving me the business or not.

If I were to ask members on this forum, what is more difficult, doing your own investing or rebuilding an engine? Building a house or managing your own money? I can rebuild an engine but can't seem to grasp the concept of investing to the point that I can make more then Private Investment Council can (fee based investing). My father could build a house yet failed at managing his own money. Yes to some rebuilding an engine or building a 4000 sq. ft. house comes easy, while to others either feel it's beyond either there capabilities or find it's something they just don't enjoy. Others may say, why would you want to other then to save maybe $100,000.00 (as in my case more) during there lifetime, when I can pay someone to do it.

I'm not saying either way is the right way, I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

I'm sure in time I will learn and think to myself, nobody can take care of my money better then I can, so I would never pay a fee to someone else.

My Dream,

Your point is well taken in that there is no one size fits all when if we need to have a paid advisor or not. We all have areas that we'd prefer do on our own or pay for, but that varies with each individual.

Another simple example I can think of is valet parking. I have this friend who usually opts for valet parking, whereas for me, as long is there is a place to park nearby, I'd rather find a spot myself and save the money. In her mind, the valet parking is well worth the expense. For her, it's so nice to just drop the car off, then have someone pick it up and for her to give a tip. For me, I'd rather do the legwork (litterally and figuratively) and save the money.

When it comes to finances, for me, I tend to be a do it yourselfer (was not always that way). What I've discovered is that having an advisor seems just like an extra layer I'd have to go through. For example, I don't need an advisor to tell me my asset allocation, when I can do that myself.

I do understand that for some, they'd prefer to have someone do that for them and say the expense was well worth it. For me, it's in other areas (getting my car fixed, hiring a good plumber :LOL:), but not my finances.

There are I think two issues here that are different:

1. Should you do it yourself or get professional investing help?

2. If the latter, what should you pay for it?

I think the answer to No. 1 is very personal and depends on the individual. A lot of people can do it themselves, others can't and some could if they wanted to but they don't want to. I'm sort of on the fence about it personally. I think I will at some point get some professional advice on overall direction which I would then implement.

The second issue is a different issue. Like anything else costs to do this vary a lot. I might very well get a Vanguard financial plan at no or low cost but I would never pay a percentage fee to someone on an ongoing annual basis.

The second issue is a different issue. Like anything else costs to do this vary a lot. I might very well get a Vanguard financial plan at no or low cost but I would never pay a percentage fee to someone on an ongoing annual basis.
I'm not familiar with Vanguard, maybe because I'm not finance savy or since they're not as popular or evident in Canada. PIC will constantly relocate funds depending on market conditions for no extra charge, will Vanguard to this at no extra charge, if so then it's something I should consider. PIC only invests in stocks, not mutual funds so there are no MIR fees. Is Vanguard the same? I'm trying to educate myself therefore am curious.

As for "valet parking", I can appreciate the analogy but something that simple, I'm to frugal to pay someone to do it for me. That's not something most people need to educate themselves on. That to me is a matter of perference, convenience, and budgeting.

I'm in a zip code and age demographic where they keep offering me free dinners at nice restaurants if I sit through financial planning presentations :cool: so I'm eating well, occasionally...

I did sit down with one of them a couple of times and had them (for free) assess my portfolio and give me a clue as to what they had in mind, which was a mix of mutual funds. As far as I could tell it would yield less than I could get on my own. I declined. They wanted a bit more than 1% per year - and leave the worry to them! I like messing with my investments, it's fun for me. It's not worry. They didn't seem to grasp that.

You could make them do something of the sort and see what they come up with and then decide not to have them "help" you. I kind of prefer the idea, for you, of a fee-only planner on an hourly basis. This is only if you are really uncomfortable doing something yourself.

In any case I would NOT use a big bank for this. I have experienced Merrill Lynch's idea of wealth management, and Bank of America's, and they haven't given me any value. But they do charge fees...

I understand exactly where the op is comming from since I'm doing both, paying a fee and investing on my own. The key point here is what if you don't feel you can do better and after they take your 1% you're still better off. It''s like asking on an automotive forum, is it cheaper to do my own tune up or pay someone to do it? Since most of the auto forum know how to do there own tune ups they would most likely say, "well of course it's cheaper in the long run".

I truly hope I didn't just open up a can of worms, but I can see both sides since I've been there and still am.

I think that is a good analogy and good perspective.

If I were to ask members on this forum, what is more difficult, doing your own investing or rebuilding an engine? Building a house or managing your own money? I can rebuild an engine but can't seem to grasp the concept of investing to the point that I can make more then Private Investment Council can (fee based investing). My father could build a house yet failed at managing his own money. Yes to some rebuilding an engine or building a 4000 sq. ft. house comes easy, while to others either feel it's beyond either there capabilities or find it's something they just don't enjoy. Others may say, why would you want to other then to save maybe $100,000.00 (as in my case more) during there lifetime, when I can pay someone to do it.

I'm not saying either way is the right way, I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

I'm sure in time I will learn and think to myself, nobody can take care of my money better then I can, so I would never pay a fee to someone else.

That is an interesting point and worth exploring a bit more. The issue for those of us advocating getting rid the middle man has as much do to with the fees they charge for the services they provide. You are right I'd never rebuild an engine and having my watched my dad build houses, airplanes and such I know I can't do stuff like that. It is clear that different people have different skills, and a lot of us on the forum have high money management skills and look at these problems as being relatively easy, they aren't for many people.

Since you can rebuild engines, I assume you must be a car guy.
Imagine if there was a service call Auto Advisers (AA). In return for 1% annual fee of the purchase price of the car (so $300 for 30K car) you can go to the the Auto Advisers say on an annual basis and they will tell you what needs to be done to the car, (much like Click & Clack the car guys on National Public Radio),. They don't actually fix the car, but they tell you need a brake job go to Bob's Brakes, or sorry guy, but your transmission is almost gone, Tom's Transmission is tops.

You would say $300 is a rip off , fixing your car isn't that hard, but even if you can't fix it, just find a honest mechanic and take your car to them. I on the other hand might consider using them if they had a good reputation, because the obvious question if you don't know much about cars how do you know if your mechanic is any good:confused:?

There are a fair number of similarities between a service like Auto Adviser and a financial adviser the most important is the fee structure. Imagine 5 years later you buy a new car for $30,000 you go back to the AA and give them your $300 and tell them you no longer need the service for the old car. The say sorry the fees is 1% of the total lifetime car purchase so you owe us $600, 5 years later you buy a $40,000 car. The guys at AA say congratulations you reached the 100K car purchase level so we are offering you a 10% discount now you only owe us $900/year. The reality is they are providing the same level of service but getting 3x the revenue.

This strikes me as being expensive so I decide to find an outside opinion I google and find an automobile forum. I post my experiences with AA on the automobile forum. After the forum regulars (including car buffs and mechanics) get over the craziness of somebody paying $900 a year to find a mechanic, and I getting lots of offers that they'll do AA job for 1/2 price. I find some important facts such as Tom's Transmission is one of the biggest rip offs in the city, odds are good I didn't need an expensive transmission, that AA was get a $200 kick back every time they sent a customer. I get angry and vow to discourage people from every using AA.

The reality is that is not much more work to manage a $1 million portfolio, than a $100K yet financial adviser often get nearly ten times the money. All of the forum regular understand this reality, and so we have the same reaction to people defending their 1% of the assets financial advisers, as automobile guys would have to me defending the nice people at Auto Advisers who have helped me with my car troubles for more than a decade.

Well stated Clifp. More detailed that my valet parking analogy.

One more point I'd like to add. The advisor shoots of surpass the 1% fee they charge. But in a bear market, if they don't, they won't say, "Well, it was a bad year, we won't charge you." More likely, they'd say, "there are no guarantees, that's the nature of the market, some good years, some bad.." So, on top of paying the fee, your portfolio also goes down in the declining market.

I'd rather lose money on my own in a bear market then feel like I'm paying someone to help me lose money.

I think that a key point is that while one may need more advice initially to set up an asset allocation and over all strategy, continuing to pay $10,000 a year on a million dollar investment is unnecessary. The financial wizards would like you to believe that it is necessary to be constantly on your toes jumping in and out of investments to responsibly invest. To me, that is just churning. +1 on the Vanguard suggestion.

I'm not familiar with Vanguard, maybe because I'm not finance savy or since they're not as popular or evident in Canada. PIC will constantly relocate funds depending on market conditions for no extra charge, will Vanguard to this at no extra charge, if so then it's something I should consider. PIC only invests in stocks, not mutual funds so there are no MIR fees. Is Vanguard the same? I'm trying to educate myself therefore am curious.
I would guess that most folks here would say that to "constantly relocate funds depending on market conditions" is a good way to perform poorly. There is absolutely no need to do that. Even if they tell you there is a need to do that, there is no need to do that.

Vanguard is not the same. Thank goodness!

For the kind of money you are talking about Vanguard will do a complete financial plan for you with an individually assigned adviser, and help you implement the plan (average in over a period of time). You can also get complementary annual "tune-ups".

I think this may be what I do ... although, I am not sure I should be taking financial suggestions from someone with the tag name "IndependentlyPoor" :LOL:.

I did meet with a free Fidelity advisor once and honestly I was not all that impressed. The advisor at Chase was much more impressive. Although, after reading these posts ... I am probably not going to go that route.

If I wanted to find a one time fee based advisor to get me started, I honestly do not know how to go about finding a good one. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I live in Dallas by the way, so there has to be some good ones since it is a major city - I just don't know how to go about finding one.

Otherwise, I think I will try the Vanguard free advisor route. I assume the Vanguard advisor will want to set me up with as many Vangaurd funds as possible (although that may not be a bad thing since they are no load).

Thanks again everyone for the advise ... lots of great points. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I would guess that most folks here would say that to "constantly relocate funds depending on market conditions" is a good way to perform poorly. There is absolutely no need to do that. Even if they tell you there is a need to do that, there is no need to do that.

Vanguard is not the same. Thank goodness!
I reviewed the funds with the advisor approximately 6 months afterwards and if I would have stayed then I would be 4.6% lower then I am now. He also had some money in a money market account and purchased when the market was lower and rode it on the way up. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I must be missing something since it seemed to have worked yet you're saying it's a good way to preform poorly. I don't understand, maybe that's why I'm willing to pay a fee.

I think this may be what I do ... although, I am not sure I should be taking financial suggestions from someone with the tag name "IndependentlyPoor" :LOL:.

I did meet with a free Fidelity advisor once and honestly I was not all that impressed. The advisor at Chase was much more impressive. Although, after reading these posts ... I am probably not going to go that route.

If I wanted to find a one time fee based advisor to get me started, I honestly do not know how to go about finding a good one. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I live in Dallas by the way, so there has to be some good ones since it is a major city - I just don't know how to go about finding one.

Otherwise, I think I will try the Vanguard free advisor route. I assume the Vanguard advisor will want to set me up with as many Vangaurd funds as possible (although that may not be a bad thing since they are no load).

Thanks again everyone for the advise ... lots of great points. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Link to fee only planners if you choose this route:

Home Page - NAPFA - The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

You should be able to narrow down to some in your area.

Who is PIC?

I like to think I know the [-]leading[/-] majority of firms offering advice in Canada and PIC rings no bells.

Since you can rebuild engines, I assume you must be a car guy.
I've also renovated homes, built airplanes, and installed institutional kitchens. I'd say I'm more mechanically inclined since my mind tends to work that way.

As for your analogy, yes you could join an automotive forum and get advice for free and as I’ve given on how to repair there car. That's more cut and dry though, in other words, if you own a corvette and you want to diagnose a master cylinder problem I can tell you exactly what to look for so you can diagnose it yourself. I can also help you with the lingo when you talk to your mechanic and be able to sound as though you’re not a push over so to speak. Or you could tell me your location and I can find a fellow member to either meet you a service station and talk to the mechanic of your choice (on your behalf) or a center will be recommended and we can walk you through the process. I've repaired new auto forum members cars for free and other members have done the same. I don't see any need to spend $300.00 when there are other avenues you can choose from.

When you relate this to investing your own money, I've joined many financial forums and am still a member but when asked to review my portfolio or ask for recommendations, I get answers like:

It depends on

Your risk level
Whether you want mutual funds or stocks
Long term or short term.
How much you want to remove every year
The amount you want to invest
How much you want to leave in cash
And many others

After I've answered each and every question I never got the advice I was looking for. To me financial forums aren't as cut and dry as auto forums, mind you it depends on the individual forums. If someone can recommend a financial forum that I’m not already a member of that isn’t to hard on newbies I’d be more then willing to join.

I can still remember driving 1.5 hrs to help a new auto forum member repair a no start in there driveway, since they needed the car to start a new job 4 days later. They're still a member and we've remained friends.

I know I've gone way off topic but to me I've found the financial forums not as helpful as I had hoped therefore I'm willing to pay someone to invest some of my money until I'm comfortable doing it all on my own, this is after they’ve proven they can outperform me.

Who is PIC?
Sorry kumquat, PIC is Private Investment Council, you have to have a minimum of $500,000.00 with TD Canada Trust in order to join. Many other institutions offer this personalized investment service, where as you speak to the person purchasing the stocks for you, no mutual funds no MIR fees and they will change depending on market, risk level or leave if you so choose. When the market was going down they advised that I cash some funds and place in bonds and rebuy back when the market was more towards the bottom and we did with 25% of the portfolio. That's the type of advice I'm willing to pay for. At one point I was dissastisfied with the return only to find it was in holding and awaiting to buy back in.

Sorry can't get to technical since I don't know the lingo.

As for this thread, I think it's run it's course for me, Earl E Retyre good luck with your decision.

I hope I was able to show a different side of the equation.

By for now.

Clif, that's a great car analogy!

... although, I am not sure I should be taking financial suggestions from someone with the tag name "IndependentlyPoor" :LOL:.
Don't feel bad, IP, you can reciprocate with the Wile E Coyote jokes...

After I've answered each and every question I never got the advice I was looking for. To me financial forums aren't as cut and dry as auto forums, mind you it depends on the individual forums. If someone can recommend a financial forum that I’m not already a member of that isn’t to hard on newbies I’d be more then willing to join.
I sure hope you find a financial advisor who asks different questions than a discussion board.

Another option might be to spend $39 for a three-month account with FinancialEngines.com, where you can fiddle with the Q&A to your heart's content, or an immensly comprehensive $150 financial-planning program like ESPlanner.

Another issue is that there's no single answer to the problems you seek to solve. And on this board, if you get 10 responses they're likely to have between eight and 12 answers...

... therefore I'm willing to pay someone to invest some of my money until I'm comfortable doing it all on my own, this is after they’ve proven they can outperform me.
If you can invest in any ol' index, then why should they have to outperform you? Their real competition is Vanguard or a basket of ETFs.

That's more cut and dry though, in other words, if you own a corvette and you want to diagnose a master cylinder problem I can tell you exactly what to look for so you can diagnose it yourself. ......

I am a bit of a car guy, so to use your example. Want to fix a master cylinder? There's only one or two things that can be wrong (at least with my old Brits): Bore is corroded or rubbers are worn. To fix, hone if possible & new rubbers.

When you relate this to investing your own money, I've joined many financial forums and am still a member but when asked to review my portfolio or ask for recommendations, I get answers like:

It depends on

Your risk level
Whether you want mutual funds or stocks
Long term or short term.
How much you want to remove every year
The amount you want to invest
How much you want to leave in cash
And many others

Want to fix your finances? Depends on a lot of things, including risk tolerance. There are no absolutes. How much are you willing to lose? How much do you hope to gain?

There are no absolutes, or right answers. You have to determine your needs. You can pay someone to tell you he's doing what you want, but if you can't answer the questions and see if he is following the answers, [-]you're wasting you money [/-] taking a lot on faith.

Sorry kumquat, PIC is Private Investment Council, you have to have a minimum of $500,000.00 with TD Canada Trust in order to join.

While Canada's big banks aren't the worst around, they are far from the best. It may make you feel exclusive to be a PIC customer but remember there are many others out there who are better and may be cheaper. That being said, I'm not about to give 1% (or whatever) annually to anyone. They ain't that good.

To get back to the car analogy, YMMV

I
As for your analogy, yes you could join an automotive forum and get advice for free and as I’ve given on how to repair there car. That's more cut and dry though, in other words, if you own a corvette and you want to diagnose a master cylinder problem I can tell you exactly what to look for so you can diagnose it yourself. I can also help you with the lingo when you talk to your mechanic and be able to sound as though you’re not a push over so to speak. Or you could tell me your location and I can find a fellow member to either meet you a service station and talk to the mechanic of your choice (on your behalf) or a center will be recommended and we can walk you through the process. I've repaired new auto forum members cars for free and other members have done the same. I don't see any need to spend $300.00 when there are other avenues you can choose from.

To me financial forums aren't as cut and dry as auto forums, mind you it depends on the individual forums. If someone can recommend a financial forum that I’m not already a member of that isn’t to hard on newbies I’d be more then willing to join.

I know I've gone way off topic but to me I've found the financial forums not as helpful as I had hoped therefore I'm willing to pay someone to invest some of my money until I'm comfortable doing it all on my own, this is after they’ve proven they can outperform me.

As for this thread, I think it's run it's course for me, Earl E Retyre good luck with your decision.

I hope I was able to show a different side of the equation.

By for now.

I think you may very well be right. I am willing to spend an hour or so research explaining something to newbie on the forum, but I'd try the line at driving to help them.

You are absolutely correct that stuff is more cut and dried on automotive forum. Sure there maybe areas of disagreement how often do you really need to change your oil, the best after market turbo charger etc. But by and large a master cylinder is either working or it is broken. Replacing the cylinder either fixed the problem with the brakes or didn't.

Virtually nothing is that straight forward in the financial world. In fact, there is a lot more agreement on this forum as what not to do then what to do.

So when a new person, posts my "Amerprise adviser suggested I buy an Equity Index Annuity for my IRA," we can all collective shout NO DONT DO THAT and here is why. However, when the new person ask well what should I do instead. We will ask well it depends on and ask a bunch of question like you were asked and answered.

So here is a few dirty little secrets about financial advisers including folks like myself who play one on the internet. We really don't know the answers. So in a lot ways it doesn't matter how you answer the question. If Bill and Joe are both competent advisers and Susie goes to Bob says that she 40 and conservative investor and want to retire at at 65 and take out $50,0000/year, and Cindy goes to Joe and says the same thing they make get the different advice, if Cindy say she is aggressive investor. Cindy and Susie may indeed with the same advice. :confused::confused:. So who is right Bob or Joe? The truthful answer would be comeback in 25 years and we MAY be able to tell you.

If at this point if you decide, my god you folks are pretty much useless, I can't say I'd blame you...:( However, what we can tell is we know something about the other financial advisers the vast majority aren't any smarter than we are, if you are lucky they just charge money for same advice we give for free.

Broadly speaking financial advisers follow into four categories.

1. The liars who tell you they can make you more money than the markets.
2. People who tell you the same thing, but are too stupid to know they are lying.
3. Folks who have learned a few things about taxes and investments, and will keep you from making bonehead financial moves.
4. The folks who are actually talented investors who can beat the market.

The vast majority of financial helpers fall in categories 1 or 2, we have a few #3 on the forums, and we can help you find other in your areas.

As for the #4, there is an on-going debate if anybody other than Warren Buffett who qualifies.

'm willing to pay someone to invest some of my money until I'm comfortable doing it all on my own, this is after they’ve proven they can outperform me.
Good for you for making him prove it. Here is the rub, because so much of investing is luck this is really hard. The adviser who's client gave him a million March 2007, looks like an idiot, the adviser who's client gave him a million March 2009, looks like a genius. The reality is one much luckier than the other.

In fact, in order to prove that your adviser is outperforming some very simple investment ideas (stick 1/2 your money in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund and the other 1/2 in the Vanguard Total Bond fund, every year even the two amounts up.) you actually need a very deep and sophisticated understanding of investing..

I am a bit of a car guy, so to use your example. Want to fix a master cylinder? There's only one or two things that can be wrong (at least with my old Brits): Bore is corroded or rubbers are worn. To fix, hone if possible & new rubbers.

Oh, so reluctant to introduce such a tangent -- a friend in University 35 years ago had an MG with brake problems in the master cylinder that he solved with a Trojan prophylactic. :whistle:

Who wants gum? :)

OK -- Back on topic...

DW is one of those that is not suited to managing money. She heard about a Morgan Stanley advisor at work and he met with us last week. DW thinks he is the greatest, so I gave in and we rolled over our IRA's to him. Only about $120k - so we'll see how he does with that. Morgan Stanley charges 1% of assets as 0.25% per quarter. He said he uses mostly index funds. Heck I can do that. I'm going with Vanguard for my 4001k rollover and other stuff.

If I were to ask members on this forum, what is more difficult, doing your own investing or rebuilding an engine? Building a house or managing your own money?
I learned over many years what I needed to do to invest/manage my $$$ on my own.

I am not mechanically "enabled" (e.g. I'm all thumbs).

For what I've saved in getting a FA to manage my portfolio, I can pay somebody else to build an engine/house for me (and I did...)

Different strokes...

I think we of the forum tend to forget that there is a large swath of the populace that is positively phobic about money and investments. They view it as mysterious and/or scary and therefore best left to experts (the way I feel about plumbing and electric wiring). They will never feel comfy managing their money and most won't dream of it.

I think most of these people either get fleeced, leave a lot of money on the table, or blow themselves up, which is a shame. I toy with the idea of a financial planning business when I ESR, but I am not sure I want to market against the flash b@stards and liars. What would be a reasonable flat annual fee? A thousand bucks a year regardless of portfolio size sound reasonable?

DW is one of those that is not suited to managing money. She heard about a Morgan Stanley advisor at work and he met with us last week. DW thinks he is the greatest, so I gave in and we rolled over our IRA's to him. Only about $120k - so we'll see how he does with that. Morgan Stanley charges 1% of assets as 0.25% per quarter. He said he uses mostly index funds. Heck I can do that. I'm going with Vanguard for my 4001k rollover and other stuff.

Brings back memories of the old days when there was no such thing as self-service gas stations. Agreed. Heck, I'm happy pumping my own gas and cleaning my own windows and save the $$. How difficult can that be? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom