Am I semi-FIRED?

I second, or third, the suggestions of volunteer work. Gives you valuable contacts and some additional work experience. I was focusing on civil service work in my previous posts because that is what I currently know best, and I know it can lead to good jobs with benefits. As you have indicated that at age 33 you have some musculoskeletal issues related to being very tall, getting career-prospect employment with medical benefits is optimal.

I don't know anything about this field (other than the sister of a friend working in it) but what about teacher aide work? I know it is highly coveted by mothers who want to work around their children's school schedule while still contributing to the family budget. But I think a school district would favor a male aide for a male student possibly. Unless I am mistaken, it does not require more than a high school diploma. Which also brings me to school bus driver. I don't know if it would have any appeal to you or what the salaries or benefits are, but I think a sober, reliable person like yourself with a clean driving record and background would be snapped up.

In PA we have local government to industry employment initiatives called CareerLink. You get assigned a free career counselor who tries to match you up with available private and public jobs, and I think the employers get tax benefits or some incentive to hire you from the state (like subsidizing your salary for awhile). Probably exists in other states as well.

Having read the thread, I think you have some excellent suggestions to consider. One thing that I see in a lot of other threads is the cost of health insurance. Does the pizza delivery gig provide it? If not, while you may not need it now 35 years is a long time.

To answer the original question from the thread title
Am I semi-FIRED?
I have to answer no. While you may be semi-retired, being semi-financially independant is just like being semi-pregnant, an oxymoron.

Having read the thread, I think you have some excellent suggestions to consider. One thing that I see in a lot of other threads is the cost of health insurance. Does the pizza delivery gig provide it? If not, while you may not need it now 35 years is a long time.

To answer the original question from the thread title I have to answer no. While you may be semi-retired, being semi-financially independant is just like being semi-pregnant, an oxymoron.

You're right, I should've called it semi-retired not semi-FIRED.

If "ObamaCare" goes into effect in 2014 I should get free(or very cheap) health insurance because of my low income. If not then i'll probably self-insure. If I have a heart attack or a major car accident, my finances will be the least of my problems.

You're right, I should've called it semi-retired not semi-FIRED.

If "ObamaCare" goes into effect in 2014 I should get free(or very cheap) health insurance because of my low income. If not then i'll probably self-insure. If I have a heart attack or a major car accident, my finances will be the least of my problems.
You will get medicaid.
TJ

I like brewer's take.

A guy I know did the pizza delivery thing for a long time. He also did newspaper delivery and snow plowing as side gigs.

aaron, I would tale a slightly different philosophical tact. How about looking at your current situation as a transition period which will last for an uncertain period of time? You could do it for a period of years if need be, so you aren't in a house on fire. That being the case, keep doing what you are doing, but keep your eyes open for alternatives. There are a ton of side hustles out there that could substitute for what you are doing now. How about doing taxes for H&R Block or a local CPA firm? Working back office in a financial planning firm (if you saved up a big enough portfolio to make it with what you are doing, you must know something about all of this)? Local gubmint isn't a bad idea either (DMV clerk?).

How about something entrepreneurial? I have a friend who has lots of little side hustles going. He figured out that there was a specific part that collectors always want for a specific brand of rifle and that a majotr parts vendor had a limited supply that was misclassified on their website. So he bought their entire stock, send back the ones that were rusty or otherwise damaged, and now has a simple website set up that retails these things for 5 to 15X what he paid for them. He gets an order, cashes the check and drops them in the mail.

Finally, you are relatively young and mobile. How about achange of location, either to elsewhere in the US or elsewhere in the world? There are plces in the US with a more vibrant economy and places in the world with a much lower cost of living. Change your location and you could be well employed or permanently retired.

While I can understand that you are reluctant to jump on new ideas for your job I wonder what you want to semi retire to?
So far you have not mentioned any hobby. What are you doing with your time? Is there anything you currently do as a hobby that you could turn into an income stream?

As one or two others have alluded to, I don't see where the OP seems genuinely interested in suggestions to changing his situation.

But, to be fair, he did not ask us for such suggestions in his opening post. We came up with them unsolicited.

I did not ask but I do welcome the suggestions. I learned about the government jobs site I didn't know about. I am also now seriously considering a CDL thanks to the suggestions. I'd rather not work fulltime if I don't have to so i'm going to see how the pizza delivery goes but if I don't make enough $$$ then i'll get my CDL. Maybe still work parttime but for better pay.

aaronc879 said:
If I make $12000/yr and spend $12000/yr being semi-retired how is that different than someone who spends $40,000/yr and does part-time consulting work for $40,000 while semi-retired? I've seen people in that position get much more favorable comments even though it's the same situation having an income equal to expenses while working part-time and having a reserve of more than 10 years expenses.

photoguy said:
The problem is when s*** happens. E.g., lets say you have a medical issue and need to payout an additional $4k that year. Or your car breaks down and you need to get a replacement, home repair, special assessment, etc. $4k/$12k = 33% of your yearly budget whereas $4k/$40k = 10%.

The other big issue is the guy spending 40k has a lot more room to cut back in case of a bad situation. The guy spending 12k doesn't have much room to cut back at all.

If I were you I'd be shooting for a plan that still lets you save money beyond your expenses to continue growing your investments and work towards actual FIRE, rather than just early semi-retirement and financial dependence.

Aaron,

Your talent seems to lie in the data entry field. Your health points to a desk job.
I supervised for data entry for 15 years. You do not need a degree and in the right company, the benefits and pay can be good. Have you considered signing up with a temp agency so you can find out if a data entry job would work for you? You can start out part-time doing temporary jobs at different companies to find out if you like it and if it works for you. There are also permanent part-time data entry positions.

Cass

I like Brewers suggestion to go forward with this - but to re-evaluate periodically, and keep your eyes open if other possibilities open up.

I have a family member who does grocery deliveries part time, pizza deliveries part time, and lives frugally so he can get by on his income. He's in a different part of the country, and older than you, but he's made it work for quite a while.

If a security guard gig comes up - he takes it. He did grounds-work (mowing lawns) for a local cemetery for a while - a 2 day a week job. Stringing together these extra jobs, with the delivery jobs... it all works for him.

We joke that he retired before 40. He' doesn't really like that comment, but it's basically true. And he seems happy enough.

I don't think anyone yet mentioned the possibility of starting a part-time business. Something with low overhead and start up costs. Since you're only working part-time you should have plenty of time to slowly build up something that suits you.

That would at least give you a bigger cushion and maybe serve as a backup option should the delivery job ever get old.

I definitely would not say you are SEMI fired since you are relying on that income. I think once you are in the spot of NOT needing the work, then you are there.

Interestingly enough I am looking for part time work nowadays in addition to my FT job. One because I am done work and home by 5 everyday and have the time to work a couple shifts on evenings and weekends. Secondly I think it might be a good way to meet new people, do something different + the pay is good around here as it's a labor shortage. Lastly I want a source of income that I can blow without thinking twice about it.

Anyways got a call from UPS to work in their warehouse about 20 hours per week but problem is that it's Monday to Friday each and every day and that's just too much. Would totally do it if it was only couple shifts per week. It did cross my mind that with my level of savings I could quit my high stress job and live on the 20 hours per week at $16 per hour no problem. Just abit too early for such a major change though. If I did do it though, I would not consider this semi FIRE'd

Anyways got a call from UPS to work in their warehouse about 20 hours per week but problem is that it's Monday to Friday each and every day and that's just too much. Would totally do it if it was only couple shifts per week. It did cross my mind that with my level of savings I could quit my high stress job and live on the 20 hours per week at $16 per hour no problem. Just abit too early for such a major change though. If I did do it though, I would not consider this semi FIRE'd

$16/hr for part time work? Around here they pay $8.50-9.50/hr and it's brutal back-breaking work. They do give health ins. for part timers though.

$16/hr for part time work? Around here they pay $8.50-9.50/hr and it's brutal back-breaking work. They do give health ins. for part timers though.

You live near Sheboygan, correct? It is a smaller town, but there are opportunities. Pizza delivery sucks in Wisconsin winter, been there, done that........:facepalm:

You live near Sheboygan, correct? It is a smaller town, but there are opportunities. Pizza delivery sucks in Wisconsin winter, been there, done that........:facepalm:

50 miles NW of Sheboygan, near Appleton. The town I live in is half the size of Sheboygan-23,000ish people. I have the right vehicle for winter driving but the gas mileage is not good..maybe(maybe)15mpg in city driving using premium fuel(turbo).

I lived in Janesville for a year recently. Almost went to Appleton instead. One year of Wisconsin and I decided I liked it pretty well, but needed to get back to the sunny south where I belong. I really did enjoy Janesville, WI though!

Live in alberta. 4.5% unemployment and kids make $12 an hour at mcd's. Downsides are -40 and high housing costs

Maybe you need to get the heck out of Dodge! I live in a southeastern US state and our unemployment is a little higher than the national average. And it never gets anywhere near -40!

I work for a governmental agency and we have a major call center operation that is outsourced and run by a major corporation. Unskilled labor with a HS diploma starts around $12.50-13 per hour with EASY promotions to shift leader. And based on your writing, it appears your command of the English language is far superior to many of our staff (many of whom amaze me that they did in fact complete high school). The condos on my street about 1/4 mile down sell for $50,000, so cost of living isn't too high (sounds like you live on the cheap in general).

Just something to think about.

Maybe you need to get the heck out of Dodge! I live in a southeastern US state and our unemployment is a little higher than the national average. And it never gets anywhere near -40!

I work for a governmental agency and we have a major call center operation that is outsourced and run by a major corporation. Unskilled labor with a HS diploma starts around $12.50-13 per hour with EASY promotions to shift leader. And based on your writing, it appears your command of the English language is far superior to many of our staff (many of whom amaze me that they did in fact complete high school). The condos on my street about 1/4 mile down sell for $50,000, so cost of living isn't too high (sounds like you live on the cheap in general).

Just something to think about.

Yabut, getting out of Dodge isn't the problem.

Can he get into Nirvana (your location)? After all, Alberta isn't just south of Springfield. Any idea where it is?

Interestingly enough I am looking for part time work nowadays in addition to my FT job. One because I am done work and home by 5 everyday and have the time to work a couple shifts on evenings and weekends. Secondly I think it might be a good way to meet new people, do something different + the pay is good around here as it's a labor shortage. Lastly I want a source of income that I can blow without thinking twice about it.

Ever think of keeping books for a small business or two? Maybe tax prep for the same? What hourly rate would that get you?

Aaron - it's a tough situation, good luck with your change. I have not read the entire thread, but I personally view your situation as a forced semi-retirement, not sure FI, but I think we all can view FI differently.

Here in the Twin Cities, I just missed out on a REO 1br/1ba for $25k with a reasonable monthly association fee, so cost of living is good. Also, I see 2br for $50k, most have to be owner occupied. I wish I could find labor for 9 - 10/hr. I pay at least $15/hr for some rental clean outs, yard work, etc. which I get from Craiglist if my regular guys are not available. Fall is coming and alot of yard work available for side jobs.

Back
Top Bottom