Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Aaron,

Your talent seems to lie in the data entry field. Your health points to a desk job.
I supervised for data entry for 15 years. You do not need a degree and in the right company, the benefits and pay can be good. Have you considered signing up with a temp agency so you can find out if a data entry job would work for you? You can start out part-time doing temporary jobs at different companies to find out if you like it and if it works for you. There are also permanent part-time data entry positions.

Cass

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #62

I like Brewers suggestion to go forward with this - but to re-evaluate periodically, and keep your eyes open if other possibilities open up.

I have a family member who does grocery deliveries part time, pizza deliveries part time, and lives frugally so he can get by on his income. He's in a different part of the country, and older than you, but he's made it work for quite a while.

If a security guard gig comes up - he takes it. He did grounds-work (mowing lawns) for a local cemetery for a while - a 2 day a week job. Stringing together these extra jobs, with the delivery jobs... it all works for him.

We joke that he retired before 40. He' doesn't really like that comment, but it's basically true. And he seems happy enough.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think anyone yet mentioned the possibility of starting a part-time business. Something with low overhead and start up costs. Since you're only working part-time you should have plenty of time to slowly build up something that suits you.

That would at least give you a bigger cushion and maybe serve as a backup option should the delivery job ever get old.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I definitely would not say you are SEMI fired since you are relying on that income. I think once you are in the spot of NOT needing the work, then you are there.

Interestingly enough I am looking for part time work nowadays in addition to my FT job. One because I am done work and home by 5 everyday and have the time to work a couple shifts on evenings and weekends. Secondly I think it might be a good way to meet new people, do something different + the pay is good around here as it's a labor shortage. Lastly I want a source of income that I can blow without thinking twice about it.

Anyways got a call from UPS to work in their warehouse about 20 hours per week but problem is that it's Monday to Friday each and every day and that's just too much. Would totally do it if it was only couple shifts per week. It did cross my mind that with my level of savings I could quit my high stress job and live on the 20 hours per week at $16 per hour no problem. Just abit too early for such a major change though. If I did do it though, I would not consider this semi FIRE'd
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Anyways got a call from UPS to work in their warehouse about 20 hours per week but problem is that it's Monday to Friday each and every day and that's just too much. Would totally do it if it was only couple shifts per week. It did cross my mind that with my level of savings I could quit my high stress job and live on the 20 hours per week at $16 per hour no problem. Just abit too early for such a major change though. If I did do it though, I would not consider this semi FIRE'd
$16/hr for part time work? Around here they pay $8.50-9.50/hr and it's brutal back-breaking work. They do give health ins. for part timers though.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
You will get medicaid.
TJ
And you do not WANT Medicaid, trust me!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
$16/hr for part time work? Around here they pay $8.50-9.50/hr and it's brutal back-breaking work. They do give health ins. for part timers though.
You live near Sheboygan, correct? It is a smaller town, but there are opportunities. Pizza delivery sucks in Wisconsin winter, been there, done that........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And you do not WANT Medicaid, trust me!
Why? I know nothing about it. As long as it covers major medical and is free then it sounds good to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You live near Sheboygan, correct? It is a smaller town, but there are opportunities. Pizza delivery sucks in Wisconsin winter, been there, done that........
50 miles NW of Sheboygan, near Appleton. The town I live in is half the size of Sheboygan-23,000ish people. I have the right vehicle for winter driving but the gas mileage is not good..maybe(maybe)15mpg in city driving using premium fuel(turbo).
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #70

I lived in Janesville for a year recently. Almost went to Appleton instead. One year of Wisconsin and I decided I liked it pretty well, but needed to get back to the sunny south where I belong. I really did enjoy Janesville, WI though!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Live in alberta. 4.5% unemployment and kids make $12 an hour at mcd's. Downsides are -40 and high housing costs
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you need to get the heck out of Dodge! I live in a southeastern US state and our unemployment is a little higher than the national average. And it never gets anywhere near -40!

I work for a governmental agency and we have a major call center operation that is outsourced and run by a major corporation. Unskilled labor with a HS diploma starts around $12.50-13 per hour with EASY promotions to shift leader. And based on your writing, it appears your command of the English language is far superior to many of our staff (many of whom amaze me that they did in fact complete high school). The condos on my street about 1/4 mile down sell for $50,000, so cost of living isn't too high (sounds like you live on the cheap in general).

Just something to think about.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Maybe you need to get the heck out of Dodge! I live in a southeastern US state and our unemployment is a little higher than the national average. And it never gets anywhere near -40!

I work for a governmental agency and we have a major call center operation that is outsourced and run by a major corporation. Unskilled labor with a HS diploma starts around $12.50-13 per hour with EASY promotions to shift leader. And based on your writing, it appears your command of the English language is far superior to many of our staff (many of whom amaze me that they did in fact complete high school). The condos on my street about 1/4 mile down sell for $50,000, so cost of living isn't too high (sounds like you live on the cheap in general).

Just something to think about.
Yabut, getting out of Dodge isn't the problem.

Can he get into Nirvana (your location)? After all, Alberta isn't just south of Springfield. Any idea where it is?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Interestingly enough I am looking for part time work nowadays in addition to my FT job. One because I am done work and home by 5 everyday and have the time to work a couple shifts on evenings and weekends. Secondly I think it might be a good way to meet new people, do something different + the pay is good around here as it's a labor shortage. Lastly I want a source of income that I can blow without thinking twice about it.
Ever think of keeping books for a small business or two? Maybe tax prep for the same? What hourly rate would that get you?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aaron - it's a tough situation, good luck with your change. I have not read the entire thread, but I personally view your situation as a forced semi-retirement, not sure FI, but I think we all can view FI differently.

Here in the Twin Cities, I just missed out on a REO 1br/1ba for $25k with a reasonable monthly association fee, so cost of living is good. Also, I see 2br for $50k, most have to be owner occupied. I wish I could find labor for 9 - 10/hr. I pay at least $15/hr for some rental clean outs, yard work, etc. which I get from Craiglist if my regular guys are not available. Fall is coming and alot of yard work available for side jobs.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #76

aaron, I've not read the entire thread, but in terms of other potential occupations:

1) Start your own small business, something like pet grooming, walking dogs, etc.
2) Look into a job where you drive rental cars or RVs one way. For example, if Hertz has too many cars in Minneapolis, they may need some in Tennessee...they will eventually get you back home and pay your expenses. If you're doing it with RVs, they sometimes pay you to deliver an RV to a client across the country, then give you a rental car to drive back home.
3) Don't know your personality, but what about mentoring children, working at a school library, working for the city issuing parking tickets?
4) You seem to like the idea of delivering...so I know a few people that deliver medical items (medicines, organs in frozen coolers, etc) to people, that may pay more or supplement pizza work.
5) Do you have any artistic talent or an "eye" for such things? If so, could you do landscaping designs? Interior design? How about learning a non-college skill like surveying or something?

Just throwing out some ideas. I don't see pizza delivery as a career, but rather a job or as you call it...survival. I'd look for something with a longer track to a "happy" survival mode.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
50 miles NW of Sheboygan, near Appleton. The town I live in is half the size of Sheboygan-23,000ish people. I have the right vehicle for winter driving but the gas mileage is not good..maybe(maybe)15mpg in city driving using premium fuel(turbo).
This is an interesting thread. aaronc879, you actually write better than many college graduates I know, so you've got that going for you. I'm actually not against your plan to deliver pizzas. If it brings in the money you need, you can handle it physically, and you aren't threatened with robbery, then I say more power to you.

IF though you want to move to something different, I suggest a job answering phones as a customer service rep or something like that. Here in Central Ohio, Pizza Hut has a central location where all the calls go into, and they have people answering phones and taking orders. I answered phones for a book distributor once upon a time and took orders from book stores. It's a pretty easy gig really. I left that job because I do have a college degree and it was just a filler job for me, but people there made careers out of it.

With the lower level of income you require, you could (and should) decide to move to wherever the best job you can get is relative to the cost of living. Are you tied to Wisconsin?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingOhio View Post
This is an interesting thread. aaronc879, you actually write better than many college graduates I know, so you've got that going for you. I'm actually not against your plan to deliver pizzas. If it brings in the money you need, you can handle it physically, and you aren't threatened with robbery, then I say more power to you.

IF though you want to move to something different, I suggest a job answering phones as a customer service rep or something like that. Here in Central Ohio, Pizza Hut has a central location where all the calls go into, and they have people answering phones and taking orders. I answered phones for a book distributor once upon a time and took orders from book stores. It's a pretty easy gig really. I left that job because I do have a college degree and it was just a filler job for me, but people there made careers out of it.

With the lower level of income you require, you could (and should) decide to move to wherever the best job you can get is relative to the cost of living. Are you tied to Wisconsin?
I don't start the job for another week and a half so I can't say for sure but I don't expect the job to be too difficult physically. Standing for long periods is the most difficult thing for me so delivery pizza is great because i'm sitting down 2/3 of the time and pizzas aren't that heavy. I'm not concerned about being robbed because I live in a safe part of the country and i'm a 30-something male who's 6'6" so i'm not the preferred target for a mugger.

There aren't many places with a lower cost of living than small town Wisconsin. I am somewhat tied to Wisconsin. I'm not married and have no children but I do have family i'm close to and they almost all live within 20 miles of me. Also tying me to my present location is the fact that I just had my condo on the market for 6 months and didn't get a single offer at a asking price of $40,900.

Answering phones is one of the worst possible jobs for me. I'm an extreme introvert. Even when I talk on the phone with people I know well they often ask "are you there" because I talk so little. That's actually the part of pizza delivery that i'm worried about. If there aren't any deliveries I need to answer phones
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't start the job for another week and a half so I can't say for sure but I don't expect the job to be too difficult physically. Standing for long periods is the most difficult thing for me so delivery pizza is great because i'm sitting down 2/3 of the time and pizzas aren't that heavy. I'm not concerned about being robbed because I live in a safe part of the country and i'm a 30-something male who's 6'6" so i'm not the preferred target for a mugger.

There aren't many places with a lower cost of living than small town Wisconsin. I am somewhat tied to Wisconsin. I'm not married and have no children but I do have family i'm close to and they almost all live within 20 miles of me. Also tying me to my present location is the fact that I just had my condo on the market for 6 months and didn't get a single offer at a asking price of $40,900.

Answering phones is one of the worst possible jobs for me. I'm an extreme introvert. Even when I talk on the phone with people I know well they often ask "are you there" because I talk so little. That's actually the part of pizza delivery that i'm worried about. If there aren't any deliveries I need to answer phones
I get ya. I'm an introvert also...the thing about answering phones for a company though is that you don't have to think of things to say (you're not holding a real conversation with them)...you just get info from them and give info to them if necessary; depending on the job, it can be very robotic actually...something even an extreme introvert can handle. I hope the pizza-delivery business works out for you. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #80

Update:

I'm not necessarily abandoning the pizza thing but i've applied for a State position in a mental health facility and I have a phone interview with Schneider National trucking company on monday to possibly train as an OTR driver. Just wanted to let people know i'm keeping my options open and want to thank those who suggested state employment and trucking as possible careers for me to pursue.