Am I semi-FIRED?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Factory work is too painful so I quit my fulltime job and am now going to work 15-20 hours/week delivering pizzas. I will also give plasma a few times per month for an extra couple hundred dollars. I figure I should be able to earn within $100-200 of my low monthly expenses. The rest will be covered by savings which should last at least 35 years at which time i'll be 68 and eligible for SS. This clearly isn't an ideal situation but full time manual labor doesn't seem to be an option for me anymore. Over-the-counter pain meds don't cut it and prescription meds and machinery don't mix.

So, can I claim to be semi-retired at age 33?:)

If manual labor is no longer practical due to health reasons, then perhaps changing careers would be a good idea.

However, if you are satisfied to have topped out in your contribution to the world and that you life has meaning by delivering pizzas part time and selling your blood products at 33 for the rest of your life, then claim it.

Aaron I certainly wish you well with your plan, but for what its worth, I am on skipros side. Planning the next 3 plus decades on optimal assumptions from minimal financial resources has a potential land mine of disasters waiting for you. Surely there is something in the workforce that would motivate you in a way that could not only strengthen your financial long term viability but also maybe give you some enjoyment from, too?

If manual labor is no longer practical due to health reasons, then perhaps changing careers would be a good idea.

However, if you are satisfied to have topped out in your contribution to the world and that you life has meaning by delivering pizzas part time and selling your blood products at 33 for the rest of your life, then claim it.

I did change careers. I went from factory work to pizza delivery.

I couldn't care less about my "contribution to the world" or "life meaning". I'm just trying to survive.

I couldn't care less about my "contribution to the world" or "life meaning". I'm just trying to survive.

I meant no offense. You outlined a 'FIRE' plan of 35 years taking you out to age 68, not a short term survival plan. Please excuse me.

What kind of SS would you be eligible for? :)

Check your car insurance--it might not cover making deliveries (a friend's son learned that the hard way).

Hi Aaron. I don't know much about your history, so forgive my question. Have you tried any of the self assessment quizzes available that might help you find a job that meets your skills and physical capabilities ? I think it would be great for a person to be SER'd at 33 but there's so much risk involved with planning out so many years. I know you're in survival mode right now but I also hope you're not just giving up on the future.

Hi Aaron. I don't know much about your history, so forgive my question. Have you tried any of the self assessment quizzes available that might help you find a job that meets your skills and physical capabilities ? I think it would be great for a person to be SER'd at 33 but there's so much risk involved with planning out so many years. I know you're in survival mode right now but I also hope you're not just giving up on the future.

Yes i've done those quizes. They all say accountant or something else related to data and numbers/money. They all require a college degree which I don't have and won't get. I'm not college material. I got a 18 on my ACT after 3 attempts. I failed almost every test I took in highschool despite never skipping a class and studying for every test. Some people just aren't meant for college and without that piece of paper it doesn't matter what i'm good at i'll never get that type of job.

I would concur that you are probably semi-fried. Seriously dude you are selling yourself short. You may not be college material but there are plenty of non manual labor jobs that you could pursue that would give you a much better standard of living. As for SS, how much you get is contingent to how much you contribute during your working life so don't count on a windfall from SS.

Last edited:
You may not be college material but there are plenty of non manual labor jobs that you could pursue that would give you a much better standard of living.

Such as?? Keep in mind I am as far from a salesman type person as you can get.

If you can drive your car to deliver pizza you can get a CDL and get paid considerably more for driving someone else's vehicle. Or did I miss your reason for rejecting this idea?

If you can drive your car to deliver pizza you can get a CDL and get paid considerably more for driving someone else's vehicle. Or did I miss your reason for rejecting this idea?

The last time I drove to Chicago I nearly got out of my car in bumper to bumper traffic because my leg hurt so much from using the clutch. I traded that car in right after I got back home. I can only assume the clutch on a semi will be worse sense there are so many gears. Someone said recently that the new semis can be shifted without using the clutch so maybe i'll have to look into that.

Last edited:

You are only as limited as your imagination, look on Cl, the help wanted ads, there literally thousands of jobs that don't include manual labor or sales for that matter. But one thing you will alway have to do, and that is sell yourself to a prospective employer.

Yes i've done those quizes. They all say accountant or something else related to data and numbers/money. They all require a college degree which I don't have and won't get. I'm not college material. I got a 18 on my ACT after 3 attempts. I failed almost every test I took in highschool despite never skipping a class and studying for every test. Some people just aren't meant for college and without that piece of paper it doesn't matter what i'm good at i'll never get that type of job.

If you have the aptitude, there are lots of accounting clerk/data entry and other office jobs out there that do not require a degree and would pay more than pizza delivery. I think you can do better. You may need to start out at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up.

What do you like to do? What do you enjoy?

I delivered pizzas for about five years, from age 26 to 31, in the wake of my bad divorce. It was great for a while, but as I got older, out of debt, better off financially, and started valuing my free time more, I started phasing the job out.

Having a string of increasingly bad management, and a road-rage incident the culiminated in near head-on-collision also played a role in phasing it out!

In my case though, I had a full-time job, and the pizza delivery was on top of that, so that's where the lack of free time came into it.

You can actually make some pretty good money if you start picking up some closing shifts, especially Friday and Saturday night. I used to average about $15-16 take-home (tips plus the weekly paycheck). However, I didn't have insurance or 401k to deal with, as I got that through my main job.

On the down-side, I'd often put 200+ miles per night on the car. And the cars did break down a lot more often, and needed more maintenance. And I did have one car get totaled, when I got t-boned in the parking lot by a girl who ran a stop sign.

Admittedly, there was something satisfying about that job. The harder you worked, the more effort you put into it, the more money you made right then and there. So you could see the results of your hard work. If you were lazy and slacked off, you didn't get as many deliveries out, you didn't get the best shifts, etc. In contrast, at my office job, you could work your butt off and, if you were lucky, get a 3-5% raise. Be mediocre about it, you still might get 2-3%. Slack off and you might still get 1-2%, and job security was right up there with the Pope!

I don't know that I would depend on pizza delivery though, as my only job for the long-term. It can be hard, thankless work that gets tiring as you get older. Plus, it can be downright dangerous!

What about a job waiting tables, or bartending? It would still bring in a lot of cash money, but without the added automotive risks.

Having a string of increasingly bad management, and a road-rage incident the culminated in near head-on-collision also played a role in phasing it out!

And this is what you are currently planning to do for the next 30+ years?

I think you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and look for alternatives. Maybe it takes you a few more years delivering pizzas to work that all out, but there must be more lucrative options available that you would enjoy.

Also, many people struggle with college through ADHD or other complications. Perhaps consider investigating those possibilities. And finally, many successful careers start without a college degree. Don't give up on the possibility of more interesting and rewarding work just because you don't finish college.

Aaron I certainly wish you well with your plan, but for what its worth, I am on skipros side. Planning the next 3 plus decades on optimal assumptions from minimal financial resources has a potential land mine of disasters waiting for you. Surely there is something in the workforce that would motivate you in a way that could not only strengthen your financial long term viability but also maybe give you some enjoyment from, too?

+ 1

As much as I hope everything works out well for you, it does not sound like you have much of a safety margin for when something goes wrong - and over 30 years you would expect several something's to happen which could derail your plans.

The good news is that if you are working part time, you should have time to invest in your skill set.

Hang in there. :flowers:
I cleaned houses when jobs were scarce in the early 80s. I made damn good money doing that for the short term. My customers (some were disabled) were happy to have the service.

I have a friend who makes a good living doing interior painting, a j*b everyone hates doing for themselves.

Are you a handyman? There may be other things you can do on a PT basis for local neighbors. I am always looking for someone to help me with j*bs I cannot do alone or are beyond Mr B's capabilities. I would suggest proposing a set task price versus hourly rate for the "quick-n-dirty' things. If it is a drawn out j*b, hourly might be better.

Take a look at www.indeed.com. You might find something to try out there.

Last edited:
What about a job driving elderly/disabled people around, or running simple errands for them? Aren't there jobs like that? Seems to me there would be a market for it.

I don't know that I would depend on pizza delivery though, as my only job for the long-term. It can be hard, thankless work that gets tiring as you get older. Plus, it can be downright dangerous!

What about a job waiting tables, or bartending? It would still bring in a lot of cash money, but without the added automotive risks.

I would think waiting tables or bartending would be more difficult physically because you're always on your feet. Pizza delivery is spent sitting down 2/3 of the time which is what i'm looking for. If I have to stand for prolonged times then every part of my legs hurts from the hips to my feet. I NEED to find something that lets me sit for a good portion of the shift. I've been looking at job sites and haven't found a single office job that i'd have a chance at getting with my lack of experience. That leaves me with driving jobs as the only other option that i'm aware of. I think i'll do the pizza delivery for a while and see if it brings in the money I expect--$12-15/hr after gas expenses. If it doesn't i'll probably look into getting a CDL. Problem is i'd have to quit my job to get a CDL and jobs aren't easy for me to get.

Aaron, I can tell by your writing that you are an intelligent fellow. Have you ever considered taking civil service tests for federal, state or county positions? They have all sorts of job classifications. Where I work, many people gain entry as case aides or accounting clerks. The pay is not bad and it comes with full medical benefits and a pension plan. We have all sorts of people in my office, from the gregarious to extreme introverts. If you can read and write, the tests are pretty easy from what I understand.

One of my co-workers was telling me the other day about a fellow he knows who recently got two job offers after being unemployed (in his fifties) for a couple of years. One job was as a file clerk for a state agency and another was working in the office of the housing authority processing applications. My boss told me that her daughter's boyfriend just got a pretty good job in maintenance at a county agency. He goes in to work after everyone leaves for the day at 4:30.

Don't give up! Almost everyone I know has had to redirect their lives at times. Best of luck to you.

Hang in there. :flowers:
I cleaned houses when jobs were scarce in the early 80s. I made damn good money doing that for the short term. My customers (some were disabled) were happy to have the service.

I have a friend who makes a good living doing interior painting, a j*b everyone hates doing for themselves.

Are you a handyman? There may be other things you can do on a PT basis for local neighbors. I am always looking for someone to help me with j*bs I cannot do alone or are beyond Mr B's capabilities. I would suggest proposing a set task price versus hourly rate for the "quick-n-dirty' things. If it is a drawn out j*b, hourly might be better.

Take a look at www.indeed.com. You might find something to try out there.

I am not at all a handyman and i'd be more likely to hire a cleaning person than be one but thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I could mow lawns and shovel drivways for a little extra cash. I'm not talking all day long but maybe 1-2 per day.

I already use indeed.com as my primary job search tool.

Back
Top Bottom