Amazon 3% Cash Back

Been using this card for the past couple of years - and I don't care if Amazon knows about my purchases. "Privacy" is so 20th century...

Been using this card for the past couple of years - and I don't care if Amazon knows about my purchases. "Privacy" is so 20th century...

Been using it for way longer than that. I can't imagine why I would be concerned what Amazon knows (if they know anything?) or not about any other purchases I make. The card is managed by Chase, I think the 'Amazon' is just branding?

But if Amazon is aware of my other purchase habits, it could benefit me - maybe they will show me some competitive products that are a better value for me. What could it hurt?

-ERD50

H
That said, I somehow do not like the idea of Amazon knowing what I buy elsewhere.

I have had the card for about 2 years. I haven't seen any problems and the cash back is nice.The "worst" they may be doing with knowing what I purchase elsewhere is suggestions for similar products available through Amazon for a lower price.

These days, if I want to purchase something I don't want any credit company or my bank to know about, I pay cash :D.

We've had this card as long as I can remember. Getting the 3% credit is nice, although they (of course) keep it captive so you come back.

Don't fool yourself on the privacy front. Every time you use a card your behavior is tracked, compiled and used for a variety of purposes.

As jollystomper said, if you want privacy pay cash. Oh yeah, and turn off your location services on your phone or they know where you are anyway and can track you that way.

As they say, it's not really paranoia if they really are after you, right? :cool:

I really like Discover card for Amazon..the 4th qtr of every year they offer 5% cashback on all online purchase anywhere up to 1500 dollars.

I just got an email offering 5% on my next 1000 dollars of Amazon purchase for the next 60 days. They also have great discover card only specials during the holidays.. last year it was free giftwrap. And I can use the cashback anywhere I want to.

There is no privacy on-line anymore, when I use my favorite weather app, I see an ad for the last thing I looked at on Kohls.com....

Sallie Mae MasterCard offered by Barclay gives back 5% on Amazon purchases.

Amazon is considered a bookstore, and the official terms of the card are that you get 5% back at bookstores, gas stations, and grocery stores.

Yes, I am very happy with the Amazon cash back Visa credit card. I looked into it a few years ago when FIREd said he had one because it sounded just right for an Amazon addict like me, and got my own at that time. It is my first credit card since my 1998 divorce.

I especially love that it has no fees, and I have it set up to automatically pay in full each month. So, they get none of my money and I get some of theirs.

I keep asking Frank to explain to me how this can be a valid business model. He explains again and again about how most people don't pay it off each month, but to me that is just an assumption and really not something I believe. I keep looking for the catch. :D

Last edited:
most people don't pay it off each month, but to me that is just an assumption and really not something I believe. I keep looking for the catch. :D

Alas, it seems all too true.
Based on an analysis of Federal Reserve statistics and other government data, the average household owes $7,281 on their cards; looking only at indebted households, the average outstanding balance rises to $15,609.

American Household Credit Card Debt Statistics: 2015 - NerdWallet

Had no idea Amazon has a cash back credit card. 3% cash back on all amazon purchases, and 1-2% on other items.

Amazon Rewards Card: Is It Right for You? (AMZN)

That said, I somehow do not like the idea of Amazon knowing what I buy elsewhere.

Used this for several years. What a deal! Usually a decent intro bonus too, which is why DH and I got separate cards.

We only use it for Amazon purchases though, so Amazon doesn't know what we buy outside of Amazon.

Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?

Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?
It is given to you at the end of each statement cycle, and it is available then to spend against purchases. Amazon makes it very easy to do this at checkout.

So that means it's a credit against future Amazon purchases, not cash back or statement credit. So to take advantage, an additional purchase would have to be required. It you buy through Amazon fairly often, this is not big deal.

Just got a 5% card from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is given to you at the end of each statement cycle, and it is available then to spend against purchases. Amazon makes it very easy to do this at checkout.

So that means it's a credit against future Amazon purchases, not cash back or statement credit. So to take advantage, an additional purchase would have to be required. It you buy through Amazon fairly often, this is not big deal.

I get a statement credit once I hit $20.00. That doesn't take long.

I don't apply the funds to my amazon purchases.

I have this card, but don't use it much. IIRC, I originally got it because it offered $30 off my first purchase. The 3% off Amazon purchases is nice, but it does force you to keep coming back to Amazon. I can always find something to buy, but then that encourages me to spend more.

I have an American Express with Fidelity that will ultimately give me 2% cash back if I hold off long enough on redeeming the points. I think once I've spent $15,000, it'll give me the 2%.

I also have a Bank of America Visa that gives me 3% back on gasoline, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. So I normally use it for gas and groceries, and whenever someone doesn't take AMEX.

I just gotta keep remembering, when I do every-other-week run to the liquor store, that booze doesn't count as "groceries", and whip out the AMEX and not the Bank of America! :D

I have the Amazon credit card and will start using it after I use up my Amazon gift card.

I purchased Turbo Tax through Amazon and got my tax return back as an Amazon gift card with a 10% bonus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I get a statement credit once I hit $20.00. That doesn't take long.

I don't apply the funds to my amazon purchases.

Interesting - I didn't realize that was a configurable option.

Or maybe I just forgot!

We order stuff monthly from Amazon unless traveling.

If you use it against purchases you don't have to wait until $20 to use your rewards. As soon as the last statement posts, it's available no matter how small.

I actually just got the Amazon Prime store card. It gives back a statement credit for 5% of purchases on Amazon. I don't usually like store cards, but we buy a lot at Amazon so this was very attractive. For non-Amazon, I use my Amex Blue Cash preferred.

Just got a 5% card from amazon.

Looked for it - it requires a Prime subscription, which I'm not interested in. I'll have to see if I hit the ~ $4,000 level to payback the $79 Prime fee (yes, $49 for the first year is a common offer I guess).

I'm slightly morally opposed to Prime - when I had a free trial, I saw the US Mail delivery trucks making a special delivery to my house on Sunday, when I would have been happy to get it on Monday on their normal route (it would have sat in the mailbox anyhow, if I didn't happen to see the truck pull up).

RE: Credit Card data

I see that information from time to time and it just amazes me. Okay some people might be in a temporary jam or just starting out, but clearly it is a way of life for most. Just amazing that they never apparently think about the total interest they're paying.

I really wonder about that data. If I have $3,000 on my card, and I pay it off w/o fees, are they still counting it as 'outstanding debt'? After all, it isn't paid off yet.

I got the impression they want that number to be big, to make a headline.

-ERD50

I suppose it's "what fits you". I've been really pleased with Prime, but I don't care about 2-day shipping. I needed a printer recently - fast - so I just hiked myself over to Best Buy.

I've gotten more in video than the membership cost. I know there are lots of Netflix users who love it and I bet they're right. Amazon just got me first. I don't think I'll do their rewards card, though.

Ya, prime is awesome. Free tv shows, music, shipping. Better service reps. It's worth the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Chase Freedom (my primary card) is doing Amazon in the 4th quarter this year with the 5% cash back ($1,500 max for extra $75).

Back
Top Bottom