Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Just got a 5% card from amazon.

Looked for it - it requires a Prime subscription, which I'm not interested in. I'll have to see if I hit the ~ $4,000 level to payback the $79 Prime fee (yes, $49 for the first year is a common offer I guess).

I'm slightly morally opposed to Prime - when I had a free trial, I saw the US Mail delivery trucks making a special delivery to my house on Sunday, when I would have been happy to get it on Monday on their normal route (it would have sat in the mailbox anyhow, if I didn't happen to see the truck pull up).

RE: Credit Card data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I see that information from time to time and it just amazes me. Okay some people might be in a temporary jam or just starting out, but clearly it is a way of life for most. Just amazing that they never apparently think about the total interest they're paying.
I really wonder about that data. If I have $3,000 on my card, and I pay it off w/o fees, are they still counting it as 'outstanding debt'? After all, it isn't paid off yet.

I got the impression they want that number to be big, to make a headline.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I suppose it's "what fits you". I've been really pleased with Prime, but I don't care about 2-day shipping. I needed a printer recently - fast - so I just hiked myself over to Best Buy.

I've gotten more in video than the membership cost. I know there are lots of Netflix users who love it and I bet they're right. Amazon just got me first. I don't think I'll do their rewards card, though.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ya, prime is awesome. Free tv shows, music, shipping. Better service reps. It's worth the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I really like Discover card for Amazon..the 4th qtr of every year they offer 5% cashback on all online purchase anywhere up to 1500 dollars.
Looks like it will be 3rd quarter of 2015:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...N=STL_5CBB_TXT
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chase Freedom (my primary card) is doing Amazon in the 4th quarter this year with the 5% cash back ($1,500 max for extra $75).
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :-)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?
The Amazon card is backed by Chase. At Amazon.com, your only option is to use points for Amazon purchses. But if you look at your account via Chase.com, you also have the options:
  • Cash Back in the form of a statment credit
  • Gift Cards for gas, hotels, dining, etc
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
Chase Freedom (my primary card) is doing Amazon in the 4th quarter this year with the 5% cash back ($1,500 max for extra $75).
I have this card and buy an Amazon gift card during the promotion to use the following three quarters.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I actually just got the Amazon Prime store card. It gives back a statement credit for 5% of purchases on Amazon. I don't usually like store cards, but we buy a lot at Amazon so this was very attractive. For non-Amazon, I use my Amex Blue Cash preferred.
I better look into this!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Ya, prime is awesome. Free tv shows, music, shipping. Better service reps. It's worth the fee. ..
You mean "for you"? I don't think it's universal, I've got the free trial a couple times, and I did not consider the service to be worth the asking price (to continue the service).

Too many products don't qualify, and/or you can find them cheaper non-Prime. So you sometimes pay twice, or end up paying for a service you don't get to use. And, for me, the two day shipping is hardly ever an issue - for the times I might really want it that fast, I could pay for shipping and be ahead.

I've been buying some more stuff through the third-party Chinese sellers at Amazon or ebay. Incredible prices, shipping included on even very low cost items. Of course, I end up waiting weeks, maybe even over a month - but for some of this stuff (spare parts, future projects), it just doesn't matter.

The 'free' (you meant 'included in the price', didn't you?) music/video isn't something we've used more than twice - Netflix suffices, and some of the stuff on Netflix that DW watches isn't available on Prime, so dropping Netflix isn't in the cards... for us.

And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!".

Of course, if you think it's worth it for you, that's great for you. I just am not a fan of these 'universal', 'one size fits all' statements.

Better service reps?

-ERD50
Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #30

I'm not usually interested in this stuff but we have been buying stuff like college textbooks and motorcycle parts on Amazon so yesterday signed up for the 5% off. Included a $40 Amazon gift card as bonus.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You mean "for you"? I don't think it's universal, I've got the free trial a couple times, and I did not consider the service to be worth the asking price (to continue the service).

Too many products don't qualify, and/or you can find them cheaper non-Prime. So you sometimes pay twice, or end up paying for a service you don't get to use. And, for me, the two day shipping is hardly ever an issue - for the times I might really want it that fast, I could pay for shipping and be ahead.

I've been buying some more stuff through the third-party Chinese sellers at Amazon or ebay. Incredible prices, shipping included on even very low cost items. Of course, I end up waiting weeks, maybe even over a month - but for some of this stuff (spare parts, future projects), it just doesn't matter.

The 'free' (you meant 'included in the price', didn't you?) music/video isn't something we've used more than twice - Netflix suffices, and some of the stuff on Netflix that DW watches isn't available on Prime, so dropping Netflix isn't in the cards... for us.

And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!".

Of course, if you think it's worth it for you, that's great for you. I just am not a fan of these 'universal', 'one size fits all' statements.

Better service reps?

-ERD50

No, i specifically meant for you. Your personal situation would benefit immensely if you listened to me and bought prime. All of your life experience and wisdom are secondary to my uninformed opinion. No one else would benefit, by the way, only you would matter, and i posted only for your benefit.

Please enjoy, as I am, the remainder of this gorgeous holiday weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!"
We get a lot of deliveries from Amazon between what we buy, our business purchases and a Vine reviewer in the house. Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies.

The Sunday before we received not only one but two deliveries. When we first started getting deliveries on Sunday, I thought maybe we had a Newman situation (the episode where Jerry delivered Newman's backlog of mail on Sunday to get it out of Newman's storage locker.)
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Just amazing that they never apparently think about the total interest they're paying.
I think that is why they have such enticing sign up bonuses. The one we are helping one of the kids meet the spending requirements on now has a $1K spend for $500 back in bonus points. There is no way that could be profitable for the credit card companies unless many card holders do not pay off the cards or do not cancel them before the annual fees kick in.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We get a lot of deliveries from Amazon between what we buy, our business purchases and a Vine reviewer in the house. Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies.

The Sunday before we received not only one but two deliveries. When we first started getting deliveries on Sunday, I thought maybe we had a Newman situation (the episode where Jerry delivered Newman's backlog of mail on Sunday to get it out of Newman's storage locker.)
Our Postman told me the other day that they are required to work Sundays to handle the Amazon sorting and deliveries. At least the Post Office is handling something besides junk mail.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
... Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies. ...
If the only options are a truck making rounds to numerous places on a Sunday, or each of those people driving to the store on Sunday, I'd agree the delivery still makes sense.

But those were not the options I was addressing. I would have been fine with normal Monday delivery, when they make the normal rounds - neither one of us doing additional driving.

-ERD50
Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't see myself applying for the Amazon cash back card. I think the $79 I paid for Prime (which I learned of here) has been worth it for me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Looks like it will be 3rd quarter of 2015:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...N=STL_5CBB_TXT
that's a new offer and it looks like the holiday promo hasn't been released yet...Discover seems to be doing a lot more Amazon promos which I really like and take advantage of
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If the only options are a truck making rounds to numerous places on a Sunday, or each of those people driving to the store on Sunday, I'd agree the delivery still makes sense.

But those were not the options I was addressing. I would have been fine with normal Monday delivery, when they make the normal rounds - neither one of us doing additional driving.

-ERD50
If you have prime and don't care if your delivery shows up later, Amazon will give you a $1 dollar digital credit for books, music, etc, each time you select standard delivery instead of the 2 day option.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #39

"With 4% cash back our SWR is covered!"
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
I don't usually need the Sunday delivery, but it may be important to some of our neighbors - diapers, dog food, text books, medical supplies, or Amazon pantry? Some of our neighbors are not able to drive for various reasons.

I thought economically the trend would be to reduce the number of days mail gets delivered door to door, and eventually go the way of the milkman. I was surprised to start seeing packages on Sunday.