Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Prime 5% cash back cc
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon Prime 5% cash back cc

Amazon just partnered with Chase Bank and is now offering to Prime members a cc with 5% cash back with all Amazon purchases, 2% cash back on gas, drug store and restaurants, and 1% everything else. PLUS a $70 store credit upon approval. No foreign fees on travel overseas also.

I just applied for mine and was instantly approved- though kind of surprised to get only a $5k initial credit limit.

But great deal......
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Amazon just partnered with Chase Bank and is now offering to Prime members a cc with 5% cash back with all Amazon purchases, 2% cash back on gas, drug store and restaurants, and 1% everything else.

I saw this recently and checked my amazon card, and indeed, it has been bumped up to 5% cash back on my amazon prime purchases. That's nice bump up from 3%.

Take note that it has to be a 'prime' purchase - if you purchase something off of amazon, say from a third party seller, you only get the usual 1%.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

So this is like their store card - but you can use it anywhere?

Nice.

I have the amazon prime store card - and love the 5% back on amazon purchases.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just applied for mine and was instantly approved- though kind of surprised to get only a $5k initial credit limit.
Link?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Take note that it has to be a 'prime' purchase - if you purchase something off of amazon, say from a third party seller, you only get the usual 1%.
Nice catch- but are you sure this is the case? I just read the terms and did not see that... perhaps I missed it.... definitely want to know as I would use a different card then!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sweet, gave me the same credit limit as well, but I don't expect anything more than that from Chase initially anymore
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Link?
Just log onto your amazon account, they have it boldly displayed
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Just log onto your amazon account, they have it boldly displayed
No, don't see it - probably because DW has the Prime membership and I'm only a camp follower on her Prime account.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw something on my mobile about the 5% card but didn't apply because I already have a 3% card via Amazon from years back and my credit is frozen. But might have to follow this thread.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #10

Every time I buy something on Amazon they advertise their credit card. There is a standing offer of $70 off your purchase. I see it every time. It might be worth a look.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Amazon just partnered with Chase Bank and is now offering to Prime members a cc with 5% cash back with all Amazon purchases, 2% cash back on gas, drug store and restaurants, and 1% everything else. PLUS a $70 store credit upon approval. No foreign fees on travel overseas also.

But great deal......
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I saw this recently and checked my amazon card, and indeed, it has been bumped up to 5% cash back on my amazon prime purchases. That's nice bump up from 3%.

OMG, thank you!!! My Amazon Visa has been bumped up to 5% cash back for Amazon Prime purchases too. I had no idea (probably deleted the message by accident or something).

This is like Christmas.

Bizlady, my credit limit started out lower than yours, but went up (without my mentioning it to them) after a couple of months.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OMG, thank you!!! My Amazon Visa has been bumped up to 5% cash back for Amazon Prime purchases too. I had no idea (probably deleted the message by accident or something).

This is like Christmas.

Bizlady, my credit limit started out lower than yours, but went up (without my mentioning it to them) after a couple of months.
A question... where are you confirming that the card is bumped up?

On your statement? After a purchase? In an article?

I have the 3% card so am looking forward to the freebie upgrade.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Go to your Amazon account and click on "Manage Payment Options" then expand the information on your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card. If you are a Prime member (primary, not a household member) you should see how to get the 5% instead of 3%.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I just went to my account, and then under Amazon Wallet, Payment Methods, I clicked on Amazon Credit Cards, then on Amazon Prime Rewards Visa. I'll bet you already have the upgrade (go check!). It lists there what you have to do, in order to keep it. Basically, have it as your default credit card and don't cancel it or cancel Prime.

Edited to add: Or, do what REWahoo suggested, which is probably a better way to make sure you have the 5%.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Go to your Amazon account and click on "Manage Payment Options" then expand the information on your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card. If you are a Prime member (primary, not a household member) you should see how to get the 5% instead of 3%.

Thanks for the tip. Yep, I'm in at 5% .
Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You guys are too quick for me.

I had just signed up for the newer card but now I find it had already happened automatically. Went to this site to mention the new card and it's already an ongoing thread.

We are suppose to get replacement cards that are metal. Must be similar to the Chase Sapphire.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:

Link?
Here's a Link:

redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Here's Link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (34.9 KB, 46 views)

Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I signed up as a result of this article -- How Rewards Cards at Amazon and Costco Compare (NASDAQ: COST) (NASDAQ: AMZN) - 24/7 Wall St..

It took less than two minutes to be approved (at a $6,000 credit limit) and it became my default card at Amazon for instant use. (I will most probably change that "default" thing, however, I prefer not to have a vendor have that kind of data in my profile.)

FWIW, I now have way more credit cards than I know what to do with but how can one turn down 5%... particularly with the amount we spend every year with Amazon.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My Discover Card gave me 5% cash back for about 6 months last year at Amazon. Now it's back to 1% or so. Maybe it's time for me to get the Amazon Card. However, I find that Amazon is getting somewhat pricey compared to some of the Brick and Mortar stores in my area, so maybe it's not a good idea after all.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote