Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took another look at the deals. Just looks like a big garage sale to me. I don't see anything special. They make claims of 90% off, but when you look a bit closer, the normal price was 87% off, so it's really only a 3% discount. And it's just a hodge podge of junk. I'm really surprised that Amazon couldn't come up with something a bit more exciting after all the advertising they did for this event.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #42

I actually did buy something early this morning before I left for my water aerobics class. It is a Fire HD 7 and is scheduled for July 28th delivery so much for Prime 2 day. The price seems decent and camel shows it was offered at the same price back in April. Clearly an impulse purchase though.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #43

The one item we wanted went to waitlist before we could get it into our cart.

I feel used.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Amazon lost my vote.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Amazon lost my vote.

What a waste of time!
golfersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought it was great! i bought some nice new ski poles for $20 last night, so I'm happy.

Somehow, I missed all the hype preceding the sale because it was a bit of a surprise. But then I remembered when I saw that S&H was waived. It sounds like Amazon upset a lot of their customers. Too bad.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #46

Well we bought nothing but we didn't waste time looking too hard either. I am already getting email ads for items related to the few things I looked at but didn't buy and the few things I searched to see if there was a PD bargain - none!
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was looking to see what the reaction was elsewhere. I found a page, "The Sh!ttiest Deals of Amazon Day". Browsed through it and saw something I wanted, just a cheap thing. It's actually the same price today so I guess it wasn't a good deal but the price was fine with me. Just thought it was funniest that it made the page of worst deals, yet I wanted it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Despite the negative reaction, looks like Amazon did do some selling on their "Prime Day"

Quote:
Amazon sold more units on Prime Day than Black Friday 2014, the biggest Black Friday everWorldwide order growth increased 266% over the same day last year and 18% more than Black Friday 2014More new members tried Prime worldwide than any single day in Amazon historySellers on Amazon that use the Fulfillment by Amazon service enjoyed record-breaking unit sales – growing nearly 300%Customers ordered hundreds of thousands of Amazon devices – making it the largest device sales day ever worldwide.
The breakdown is interesting:

Quote:
Prime Day highlights from the US:

Members ordered tens of thousands of Fire TV Sticks in one hour, making it the fastest-selling deal on an Amazon device ever
Fire tablet sales on Amazon exceeded sales on Black Friday last year
Members ordered thousands of e-readers and thousands of Echos in just 15 minutes
56,000 Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy sets
47,000 Televisions sold, which was 1300% year-over-year growth
51,000 Bose Headphones, compared to 8 the previous Wednesday
28,000 Rubbermaid 42-Piece Easy Find Lid Food Storage Sets, compared to 428 the previous Wednesday
24,000 Instant Pot 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cookers, compared to 182 the previous Wednesday
14,000 iRobot Roomba 595 Pet Vacuum Cleaning Robots, compared to 1 the previous Wednesday
12,000 Fifty Shades of Grey Unrated Edition on Blu-ray, compared to 121 the previous Wednesday
10,000 Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels, compared to 244 the previous Wednesday
Well at least they sold a lot of "50 Shades of Grey" on Blu Ray

Amazon’s First Ever Prime Day Breaks Global Records, Sales Exceed Black Friday - MarketWatch
Old 07-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersailor View Post
What a waste of time!
Indeed. What would I do with a 55 gal. drum of natural water lubricant? I've never been that much of a party animal.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Despite the negative reaction, looks like Amazon did do some selling on their "Prime Day"

The breakdown is interesting:

Well at least they sold a lot of "50 Shades of Grey" on Blu Ray

Amazon’s First Ever Prime Day Breaks Global Records, Sales Exceed Black Friday - MarketWatch
Quote:
56,000 Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy sets
I'll let DH know he was one of 56,000! Assuming that's the Blu-ray edition - it probably wasn't. That many people have Blu-ray players? We hardly ever use it though.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'll let DH know he was one of 56,000! Assuming that's the Blu-ray edition - it probably wasn't. That many people have Blu-ray players? We hardly ever use it though.
But having the set looks impressive on the shelf....then when it airs on TBS, you'll watch that instead.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I logged on to amazon, saw it was all hype and garbage, then logged on to my trading account and bought 10 puts on the stock.
ouch...
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
ouch...
I was joking. I never short Amazon, Netflix or any company who doesn't make money.

The only good shorts are companies who make lots of earnings.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #54

I actually considered the iRobot Roomba but decided I would only be buying something I didn't need because they said it was on sale... If I decide I want it that bad some other day, I'll wait for another sale. Anyone have one of these? Good or bad reviews?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
But having the set looks impressive on the shelf....then when it airs on TBS, you'll watch that instead.
Don't have TBS - no cable here.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I actually considered the iRobot Roomba but decided I would only be buying something I didn't need because they said it was on sale... If I decide I want it that bad some other day, I'll wait for another sale. Anyone have one of these? Good or bad reviews?
Mine was kind of fun to watch, but you had to block off stairs and stuff and pick everything up. Not really much less work that using a regular vac, I found. And then the battery started lasting only 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, and it went on the shelf until a couple years later I tossed it. That was quite a while ago, maybe they are using better battery technology now.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

The sale seemed like it was great for Amazon resellers or resellers in general. I found nothing exciting when roaming the "prime day" page.
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Mine was kind of fun to watch, but you had to block off stairs and stuff and pick everything up. Not really much less work that using a regular vac, I found. And then the battery started lasting only 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, and it went on the shelf until a couple years later I tossed it. That was quite a while ago, maybe they are using better battery technology now.
Definitely way too expensive for a short life. However, it does seem like the technology has improved a lot in recent models.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I've had one for a few months now and like it. It doesn't replace a good vacuum, but lets me go longer between vacuuming and keeps the floors (mostly wood, some area rugs) much less dusty/gritty. I no longer find dust balls under the beds and couch when I have to look/crawl under there. My SO is allergic to dust so this is important. We set it to run when we're normally away from the house.

It does get stuck fairly often on our IKEA "Poang" chairs, because they have a low slat that rests on the ground, and the Roomba tries to climb over it. Maybe 1 out of 4 times I'll come home to find the Roomba out of its dock and stuck. No biggie, just reset it. I'm trying to figure out how to keep it away from the Poangs though.

FWIW, I bought a pair of shoes on Prime day that almost never go on sale (they've been on my wishlist for a couple years), but were 30% off. Hooray, I'm a statistic!
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

Since my lakeside camp is far from all civilization, only a few channels available from 80 miles away in Iowa. I used to bring my DirecTV box from home, but this year, with some new policy, it won't work, and I don't have a HDTV to get even those few channels...
So...
Prime day... gonna look for cheap HDTV... Amazon? Nada... So on Thursday I looked and found this, on Walmart.
Sceptre E245BV-FHD 24" 1080p 60Hz Class LED Full HDTV (1.81" ultra-slim) - Walmart.com
$25 for opening a Walmart CC, so the price is now $105. Ordered it on Thursday morning, and received it at 10AM today (Saturday)... free shipping.

Works as a great 24 inch monitor, so I'm keeping it at home and ordering another for the lake. Love it... all the bells and whistles, and a nice picture.
Now, DW likes it too, so maybe a third one in the works... All because y'all brought up the Amazon Prime day.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote