Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Prime Day
Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon Prime Day

With a big lead up to the new made-up shopping day "Prime Day" Amazon was promising sales to beat Black Friday. I looked around a bit and didn't see much in the way of impressive discounts, except on things I didn't want. Also to even see the deals you have to scroll around lots and lots of items. No search. What a waste of time. Who would be interested in shopping for possible deals, but you have to wade through all the merchandise to even see if anything you want is available. And since the deals are time limited, you would have to do it periodically throughout the day. I guess I'm skipping it. No deals for me.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got several Server 500 errors "OOPS - we can't service your request, try the back button and re-do your search"

Then, for items I've had my eye on - no deals since I checked on them yesterday.

This reminds me of shopping at Costco....as you roam the aisles you end up buying stuff that looks good, but you really don't need.

Pass....
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What a waste of time. Waited for a "deal" to begin clicked on the item and low and behold the item was sold out. I think this will be a PR nightmare for Amazon.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nothing recent on my wish list dropped in price, so I guess I'm not buying anything!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

New management with "new ideas" at Amazon?
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Same old, same old.

I've become a very grumpy old man when it comes to the concept of "sales." It seems to be all contrived BS.

JC Penney and Kohls, for example are on permanent "sale" for their clothing.

"Gee, what a deal! I got these pants for $40 instead of $80!" Whoopee!

Amazon's features stuff was crap I didn't want.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Pretty disappointing prime day. My year of Prime is up this weekend. I'm going to stop it, and I'll renew when I'm ready to watch Prime video streaming again, or have a real need to get something in 2 days. If I can put a 2-3 month gap in between renewals, I'm getting 5 or 6 years while paying for 4 or 5. If I have a need next week, I'll just renew it again and I won't be out anything. I never did get hooked on Prime music streaming. Gave up on the free book per month because it's so difficult to browse their selection and just about any books I can think of that I'd want aren't available for borrowing through Prime. Overdrive through my library is so much better.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife was sooooo excited for today.

She ended up with 6-7 things in her cart this morning. I asked if they were good deals, and she said "Yup, atleast 50% off" ... I was SUPER excited to get to work and see what else I could scoop up.

Used CamelCamelCamel.com to price check. Not a single thing in my wife's cart was on sale today.

Started checking more items, and I have yet to come across one that happens to be cheaper today than other days.

Garbage marketing ...
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

I expected to see a tailored list of offerings based on their extensive store of my viewing of products. What I found was just the regular "Deal of the Day" stuff relabeled as "Prime Day" and selling for about the same price as yesterday, the day before, etc. There are a couple of Kindle deals but they aren't any better than deals given before for the same items to all people Prime or not. I clicked a few times thinking I just didn't know how to find that page of deals and gave up the waste of time. But I'm really surprised they hyped what appears to be nothing at all.

I wonder if they picked up any new Prime members who wanted to be part of the "big Prime only sale".
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I wonder if they picked up any new Prime members who wanted to be part of the "big Prime only sale".
Never thought about this ... Hmmmm

This may very well have been the reason for this "Price Day Sale" ... An attempt to confuse, and have people think they were getting a deal, or needed to become a prime member to get said deal ~ when in all actuality ~ absolutely nothing has changed!

Good call Tadpole! Good Call!
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I didn't stay up much past midnight to catch the start and just went to bed.

There are some pretty good deals to be had if you had that product in mind beforehand. For example, as a Kindle for $49, Fire HD 7 for $79. Tempting for me, but I have decide do I really need them.

I might spring for a multi-pack gift card and get $10 credit on a future purchase.

24 hours isn't much time to bargain hunt. The "lightning" deals remind me of QVC shopping... "Buy before the product runs out" approach.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

meh, they ran out of diaper refills
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing on sale that I might have needed was a SD card for my camera but they had already sold out. So no deals for me either.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The only thing on sale that I might have needed was a SD card for my camera but they had already sold out. So no deals for me either.

There were some good sales on memory last night. Probably as teasers, before the Prime sale kicked off. A 128 GB flash drive was available for $23.

Plus, SSD drive prices were discounted. Still not enough for me to pull the trigger, but made me take pause and think .
Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

...checked on an item I had been looking at for a while. Not a need, but a want. This huge sale was going to save me a whole $2.00 over Amazons regular price. Thanks Amazon...I'll pass.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing there that I wanted. I thought I was just being grumpy! So, it's comforting to see that I'm not the only one who had a less than ecstatic response to their Prime Day offerings.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, as a marketing tool...it got me to look. As a build customer loyalty tool...I was underwhelmed. Count me as one who saw nothing on sale that interested me. Too much bother with no search and deals with such limited time. No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #18

Been wanting a Kindle fire to replace my Nexus 7 (that was ruined by the latest upgrade). Got it for $79 but shipping is the middle of Sept? Oh well I'll watch the prices and may just cancel it.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Twitter-verse is calling it a "garage sale"
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Meh.

M... E... H...

Meh.

It looks like the inventory 'bots decided to put whatever bins were overflowing in the warehouses on sale. Weirdest collection of random sale items I've ever seen. Absolutely nothing of interest to me. It's like a badly over-hyped flea market.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote