Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's how to continue to get Prime for $79 - at least for a while.

For new memberships the price is still $79 until mid-April.

If you are an existing member, until the price goes up you can purchase an Amazon Prime Membership Gift Card for $79 and specify the future delivery date of the gift. Our membership just renewed and I'm purchasing a Prime gift card for DW, with a delivery date the day after our membership expires next February.

Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks...
I did this but sent the gift to myself. 20 bucks is 20 bucks, as you say.
__________________

__________________
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 721
I'm sort of torn about the increase as I feel like it's sort of a luxury service for us. We don't use the instant video because we also have Netflix (currently more streaming movies available). We don't use the free book library because I think you need a Kindle for that. Having said that, the 2-day shipping has been really nice, but as I say, not really necessary. If I think about it for a few days I'll likely just forget about the whole thing and I'll be obliviously happy again.
__________________

__________________
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,891
Doing the math, at $99/year (which comes out to $8.25/month) is still a great bargain. Back in the days of w*rk, I'd spend more on that just on vending machine snacks

IMO, it's a question of is the $99/year a worthwhile splurge? For me, yes it is as I like to know that when I order a package it'll arrive in two days. The only drawback is when ordering something not on Amazon the wait can feel like an eternity
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
I hate to go shopping as well, buy almost everything online but I don't see any advantage for me with prime, I get what I order most of the time in 3 days ( versus 2 for prime ) with standard free shipping anyway. I can generally beat the price on amazon as well, especially computer hardware. One thing I have found is for items not being sold directly by amazon is to go to sellers website directly, many times the same thing is cheaper on their own website than what it is listed on amazon for.

Now free overnight or nextday might entice me.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I'm sort of torn about the increase as I feel like it's sort of a luxury service for us. We don't use the instant video because we also have Netflix (currently more streaming movies available). We don't use the free book library because I think you need a Kindle for that. Having said that, the 2-day shipping has been really nice, but as I say, not really necessary. If I think about it for a few days I'll likely just forget about the whole thing and I'll be obliviously happy again.
Although I don't use it note that you can get a program to read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, from amazon. Here is a link to the PC version:
Kindle for Windows 8: Read eBooks on Your Windows 8 Device - No Kindle Device Required
So you don't need a Kindle.
However I prefer physical books, so Amazon is great for them.
__________________
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Although I don't use it note that you can get a program to read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, from amazon. Here is a link to the PC version:
Kindle for Windows 8: Read eBooks on Your Windows 8 Device - No Kindle Device Required
So you don't need a Kindle.
However I prefer physical books, so Amazon is great for them.
I have the kindle app on my nook and my home PC, but I am pretty sure you have to actually have a Kindle to get the free for reading books. (I also have a Kindle Fire, but my DD "borrowed" it. I don't like it for reading anyway.)
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have the kindle app on my nook and my home PC, but I am pretty sure you have to actually have a Kindle to get the free for reading books. (I also have a Kindle Fire, but my DD "borrowed" it. I don't like it for reading anyway.)
No you don't. I have the desktop app and no Kindle device and I read only the free books.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Although I don't use it note that you can get a program to read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, from amazon. Here is a link to the PC version:
Kindle for Windows 8: Read eBooks on Your Windows 8 Device - No Kindle Device Required
So you don't need a Kindle.
However I prefer physical books, so Amazon is great for them.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out!
__________________
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,837
No Prime for me, but I hear the reasons 'for', and some sound pretty convincing.

Recently Amazon caved into the state of North Carolina and started collecting state sales tax, which put Amazon a knotch back against Walmart (which does, of course, have an NC physical presence). Walmart has shown some less expensive prices, very reasonable shipping costs, and they have even delivered stuff in one day, since they have DC's that are close by.

So not only am I not a Prime customer, I'm buying less from Amazon lately. They do have the edge on selection, especially with the independent sellers. But then we're getting into eBay territory.
__________________
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Although I don't use it note that you can get a program to read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, from amazon. Here is a link to the PC version:
Kindle for Windows 8: Read eBooks on Your Windows 8 Device - No Kindle Device Required
So you don't need a Kindle.
However I prefer physical books, so Amazon is great for them.
There is also an Kindle android app that I use on my phone sometimes but i'm guessing could be used on other android devices/tablets, etc.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
No you don't. I have the desktop app and no Kindle device and I read only the free books.
You can read free Kindle books on the desktop app or non-Kindle devices, i.e. books that cost nothing. With a prime membership, though, there are some non-free Kindle books that you can borrow and read only on a Kindle device.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #52
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's how to continue to get Prime for $79 - at least for a while.

For new memberships the price is still $79 until mid-April.

If you are an existing member, until the price goes up you can purchase an Amazon Prime Membership Gift Card for $79 and specify the future delivery date of the gift. Our membership just renewed and I'm purchasing a Prime gift card for DW, with a delivery date the day after our membership expires next February.

Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks...
Reading "The Consumerist" here it looks like this option may only be available until March 20.
Quote:
Because of discrepancies between renewal dates mentioned in e-mails sent to Prime subscribers and what some members were seeing on their account profiles, Consumerist spoke to Amazon, which confirmed that new users will be able to sign up for Prime at the current $79 rate until March 20. Existing members whose accounts renew before April 17 will have their memberships re-upped at the current rate. Any memberships purchased after March 20 or renewed after April 17 will be at the $99 rate.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,610
With one tiny loophole.

By coincidence, I had signed up for Prime last week. They sent me an email saying that after my 30 day free trial, it would be charged at $79 and renew in April 2015 at $99.

I've often been tempted in the past to go Prime, but resisted. However, I needed something quickly last week and gave in to the temptation, thinking I could always cancel during the free trial period.

But I plan to keep it and renew, simply due to the extra advantages (movies, TV shows, and Kindle books).
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #54
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,109
We signed up for Prime a year or so back for the streaming video and free kindle book library. The free 2 day delivery is lagniappe for us and still surprises us at times. Just had a delivery today for something DW ordered yesterday.

At $99 we'll continue to pay.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Reading "The Consumerist" here it looks like this option may only be available until March 20.
Good catch. Looks like those who wish to take advantage of the last chance to get another year at $79 need to act before the end of next week.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
. The free 2 day delivery is lagniappe for us and still surprises us at times. Just had a delivery today for something DW ordered yesterday.
Ahhh...... a lagniappe. That explains everything.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Ahhh...... a lagniappe. That explains everything.

Oooh! I love lagniappe. Piping hot, fresh from the oven!
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
We used to have a Lagniappe but we traded it in for a brand new Amuse Bouche.

(But lagniappe is a good way to describe the free/prepaid-by-the-membership-fee shipping benefit of Amazon Prime if you joined for other reasons.)
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,424
Our 29 year old son has had Amazon Prime for a few years and loves it, mostly for the free shipping, not the video streaming. For his brother's 27th birthday he got him a year of Amazon Prime as a gift, because the younger brother doesn't have pay TV, just OTA and Netflix. He has an Apple TV and uses our DirecTV logon to watch CNN and a few other channels on his laptop or sent to his TV. So for him, the streaming video was the best part. But he also finds that he uses the 2 day shipping frequently.

We shop on Amazon a lot, but I look for free shipping or I group enough things together to get the free shipping. Of course, that's their slow shipping method, not the 2 day like with Prime. Having a Prime account seems to change the way you think about buying something. Just find it, click to buy and be done!

Most of our Amazon purchases are things that I don't need in a hurry so I don't mind waiting. Only once did I ask my son to buy something using his Prime account.

If I wasn't so darn frugal I bet we'd love an Amazon Prime account.
__________________
Married, both 62. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Our 29 year old son has had Amazon Prime for a few years and loves it, mostly for the free shipping, not the video streaming. For his brother's 27th birthday he got him a year of Amazon Prime as a gift, because the younger brother doesn't have pay TV, just OTA and Netflix. He has an Apple TV and uses our DirecTV logon to watch CNN and a few other channels on his laptop or sent to his TV. So for him, the streaming video was the best part. But he also finds that he uses the 2 day shipping frequently.

We shop on Amazon a lot, but I look for free shipping or I group enough things together to get the free shipping. Of course, that's their slow shipping method, not the 2 day like with Prime. Having a Prime account seems to change the way you think about buying something. Just find it, click to buy and be done!

Most of our Amazon purchases are things that I don't need in a hurry so I don't mind waiting. Only once did I ask my son to buy something using his Prime account.

If I wasn't so darn frugal I bet we'd love an Amazon Prime account.
When you group things together in order to qualify for the free shipping, do you find yourself buying things you weren't thinking of just to get the free shipping? If so, then that kinda defeats the purpose.

I had a similar situation recently. I do have Amazon Prime, but needed an add-on product (a SATA adapter for fixing up a computer). I really didn't want to wait but at the same time didn't want to spend the extra money to buy a non add on adapter. So I had to pause and think about what else to buy to bump the purchase up to over $25 for the add-on.

After looking at my wish list and not wanting to buy something I am just thinking about, I ended up buy some treadmill lubricant which though now I have an extra bottle, will consume eventually.

A lot of buying strategy involved.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Only Thing I Don't Like About Amazon Prime easysurfer Other topics 12 03-11-2014 12:55 PM
Amazon Prime vs Netflix MikeD Other topics 31 08-25-2013 05:53 PM
Amazon Prime now lends books MichaelB Other topics 11 11-04-2011 10:31 AM
Wamu ~ going, going.... VaCollector Stock Picking and Market Strategy 8 09-25-2008 11:36 PM
Amazon makes terrorism a shop-at-home job! cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 8 11-30-2007 08:38 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.