Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

You'd think the largest company in the world would do better.
It's highly likely Amazon is using the services of a third party to verify veteran/military status. Sounds like they aren't living up to expectations.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I guess my 20 years in the Army didn't count... rejected. Went to a website of hundreds of complaints... not optimistic. Sent an Email but am pessimistic.

You'd think the largest company in the world would do better.

I was rejected at first, too, but I followed their instructions and emailed customer service and was approved within an hour. Why be pessimistic?

Retiredmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The gal (different last name but joint owner on about everything) did the initial Amazon Prime membership. We saw no need for a shared membership - she lets me watch the tv and order on her name and that way we have a long and complete history of anything we've bought. Bills are paid by whatever card we choose - it's all shared money.

But. I tried twice to take advantage of the deal. Even entered the log-in area and edited her user name to "Gal & Calmloki". Then sent an email to VeteransDay@amazon.com with details and a pdf of my DD-214. They sent back a form letter wanting my details, but sent from the Gal's email address. Did so, with all details again and the DD-214. Success. We are all ok and our Amazon membership is extended for a year past the January expiration date. Cool! Not being the named Amazon member made it more difficult - my problem - but they came through for us. Happy camper here.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #24
Administrator

Thanks, calmloki. The young wife and I are in the same position; she is the Prime member and we just order everything on her account. I am going to try your solution.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Got mine finally approved. Must have been an issue with the verification company as mentioned above.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was rejected the first time using my current name. I chatted with customer service and asked him if I should put in my maiden name and he told me to try it. I did and it worked. Thanks for letting us know about this nice discount.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #27

I put in my best guess on date for leaving the Air National Guard and it did not work. Used the date on DD214 for separation from active duty and that worked.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

maddening... they should all be fired.

first page requires name yes/no service inad infers the term "Active"

If you didn't scroll down, you wouldn't see that waaay down below, there was a place to enter the date of separation.

After three tries... blocked out.

I am definitely too old and slow to deal with this stuff.

If you get rejected, wait a day, sign in again, and scroll to the separation date. After that. everything went well. The deal goes thru Nov 11.

A note comes up when you've been rejected, with an email address to use to "fix" problems... forget it... no such address.

Side note... a thread that talks about the Amazon problems... when I looked... about 150 complaints.

Hey Jeff!!! You've gotta do better than that!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all for the info. I sent a link to this thread to DH, and he was able to take it from there!

We did it by email since we were another case where I was the prime member and DH on my account.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Strangely, ours worked first time. (I'm the veteran; the Az account is in DH's name.)
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #31
Administrator

I just successfully used the discount. First, I added myself as a Prime "household member" to my wife's account (never did this before because we have always just used her account to order stuff and I don't read ebooks). Then I submitted my information. For date of separation, I used the date on my DD-214, even though I was in the Individual Ready Reserve for 6 years after that. It was instantly accepted and a discount renewal was put in the cart. Then I clicked on "submit order" and it was done. I just checked and saw that the renewal date is now extended by a year.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DH has his own Amazon account, but it is linked to mine and he gets to use my Prime membership. We set up our own accounts way before Amazon Prime existed.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A note comes up when you've been rejected, with an email address to use to "fix" problems... forget it... no such address.
That email address in post #23 above worked for us.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just successfully used the discount. First, I added myself as a Prime "household member" to my wife's account (never did this before because we have always just used her account to order stuff and I don't read ebooks). Then I submitted my information. For date of separation, I used the date on my DD-214, even though I was in the Individual Ready Reserve for 6 years after that. It was instantly accepted and a discount renewal was put in the cart. Then I clicked on "submit order" and it was done. I just checked and saw that the renewal date is now extended by a year.
Thank you. I just got this done for my husband, on my Prime account.