Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon spending
Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon spending

Did you know you can generate an Amazon order history report? You set the date parameters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports

I initially reviewed my Quicken Amazon transactions, but actually thought it was less that I'd have guessed. The Amazon report confirmed that my Quicken accounting was accurate.

I'll just say that I see a little room to trim our budget here.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

I used to foolishly think that UPS, FedEx, and the USPS were in our 'hood delivering stuff that included a fair amount of Amazon orders (including mine). Now that those Prime trucks and vans are here, I know that delivering Amazon orders was ALL that they were doing.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Yes! I've been using it to track annual spend rates, and then create monthly averages at year's end. So far, since 2011, my monthly averages have ranged between $300 and $800...2019 was moderate, at $400. My number of orders peaked with my first year of Prime, at 88 in 2017. The number of orders went up substantially after I was married!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The download is in Excel, which I don't own. Wish I could figure out how to open it in Google Sheets.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

Amethyst, does this help?

Convert Excel To Google Sheets - Here's How

Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Woo-hoo, it worked! thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #7

Actually, the reports come in csv format (comma delimited text.) Just about any spreadsheet program, or even word processor or text editor, can open them.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

I haven't bought anything from Amazon since the Instant Pot in 2017 or maybe it was Black Friday 2016. Their prices are too high and lots of items are out of date. I do better comparison shopping through other companies. Chewy, Target, and Staples are among the retailers' boxes that appear on my porch.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to run the report back to my first order in December 2005 and it failed in processing. So then I ran it back to 2009 and it worked. Total spent was just over $22,000 for over 700 orders. Wow.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The download is in Excel, which I don't own. Wish I could figure out how to open it in Google Sheets.

Another alternative is Apache Open Office.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Or get this: https://www.libreoffice.org/ it's open source and works great. Has been around for years.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I haven't bought anything from Amazon since the Instant Pot in 2017 or maybe it was Black Friday 2016. Their prices are too high and lots of items are out of date.
Interesting. I've found the exact opposite. Big box stores are usually way behind the times, especially with things like electronics and LED lighting, which are always changing.

I check Amazon for the reviews, product descriptions and customer Q&A's. More often than not, I buy it there because it's cheaper, too. Most days it's quicker to get 2-day delivery than to put it on my list for the next time I'm near the store.

I'm always game for piling on a big corporation, and Amazon certainly fits the bill. But they got that way by offering a good product, good prices and good customer service. I suspect they'll eventually go the way of all corporations and lose sight of their customer's needs. But meanwhile, it's hard for me to bash them.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Did you know you can generate an Amazon order history report? You set the date parameters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports

I initially reviewed my Quicken Amazon transactions, but actually thought it was less that I'd have guessed. The Amazon report confirmed that my Quicken accounting was accurate.

I'll just say that I see a little room to trim our budget here.
Why trim your budget there if you are living within your means?

I did know about being able to access my entire order history and was amazed to discover that my very Amazon order included “A Millionaire Next Door”.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 AM   #14

I was a little annoyed yesterday to see that the Amazon Prime subscription price has gone up to $119, a 20% increase from last year. Bezos must need the extra $$ to pay his divorce lawyer😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I was a little annoyed yesterday to see that the Amazon Prime subscription price has gone up to $119, a 20% increase from last year. Bezos must need the extra $$ to pay his divorce lawyer😁
The $119 price went into effect in May of 2018, so maybe Bezos has been planning the split for months.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting. I've found the exact opposite. Big box stores are usually way behind the times, especially with things like electronics and LED lighting, which are always changing.

I check Amazon for the reviews, product descriptions and customer Q&A's. More often than not, I buy it there because it's cheaper, too. Most days it's quicker to get 2-day delivery than to put it on my list for the next time I'm near the store.

I'm always game for piling on a big corporation, and Amazon certainly fits the bill. But they got that way by offering a good product, good prices and good customer service. I suspect they'll eventually go the way of all corporations and lose sight of their customer's needs. But meanwhile, it's hard for me to bash them.
Just priced an inexpensive all-in-one printer. $20 more at Amazon and a week to deliver because I don't pay for Prime. Staples will deliver in one day for free and it's at the lower price. 5 percent back for using the business card or I can stop by Best Buy when I'm out and use my cash rewards at the lower price. This seems to happen every time I need something and comparison shop. I check Amazon and buy elsewhere.

I think a lot of LBYM people do little to no business with Costco and Amazon because they rarely have the newest merchandise at the best prices. That's probably more true for those that live in areas with a high concentration of stores nearby. I belong to Costco for the gas, the Kirkland cat food, the cheap rotisserie chickens and the paper goods, when they are on sale cheaper than Target.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #17

I don't usually look at Staples, so I did a quick comparison. I chose a printer, more or less at random, based on similarity to the one I already own.

Amazon price: $399, could have it here tomorrow with Prime, plus 5% off for using my Amazon store coard.

Staples price: $399, could have it here tomorrow or pick it up in store, this includes $100 "instant savings," whatever that means. I don't have a Staples 5% off deal, although I could use my 2% cash back credit card.

Both places offer good customer service. It's the same product. I'd probably buy it from Staples if I was going that way anyway, or Amazon if not. Competition is a good thing.

We don't have a Costco near us, but I have a BJ's membership for cheap gas.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Their (Amazon's) prices are too high and lots of items are out of date. I do better comparison shopping through other companies. Chewy, Target, and Staples are among the retailers' boxes that appear on my porch.
I agree. Amazon is most always the highest price. And their delivery stinks unless you give in and pay for 'prime' which, no one ever seems to amortize into the cost of the products they buy. Add the fact that they always charge state sales tax now and it's not even close. I can most always find better prices elsewhere including ebay.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #19

Amazon Prime is worth it to me for far more than the shipping. The Prime Video is just one: we have a couple of Amazon Firesticks and love Jack Ryan and the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel plus it's a gateway to Netflix and many other streaming apps. Not only that, but there's the music that comes with a Prime Membership. We have several Echo devices around the house and can have surround sound when we tell Alexa to play on all devices. I guess you could say we're fully Amazon assimilated.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
And their delivery stinks unless you give in and pay for 'prime' which, no one ever seems to amortize into the cost of the products they buy.
We use Prime for streaming almost every night ("Mrs. Maisel" is a hoot!) so I figure the amortized delivery cost of the 60 orders we placed with Amazon last year was $0, just a nice extra perk.