Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon to collect sales tax in Texas
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Administrator

Amazon to collect sales tax in Texas

The cost of living will be a little higher in Texas. Amazon has reached an agreement with the state of Texas to begin collecting sales tax on all purchases made by state residents.

Quote:
Amazon.com will start collecting sales taxes on all online purchases made in Texas beginning July 1 under an agreement that settles a dispute with the state.
Article here Amazon's Texas customers to start paying sales tax - Houston Chronicle
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Domino #1? Could be ominous......
Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

from Sales-tax deal with Texas is Amazon's latest | Reuters

According to its website, it already collects sales tax in five of the 50 states -- Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota and Washington -- on purchases made by people who live in those states. Those are the five states where it has physical facilities or affiliated sellers and no agreement with state governments exempting Amazon from collecting sales tax.

Unfortunately, domino # 6.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
More like the momentum builds. This is number 6
Quote:
Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.
Amazon.com Help: Sales Tax

edit - cross posted with freebird. New avatar...nice.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Nope, not ominous. Domino's already collects sales taxes in TX.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope, not ominous. Domino's already collects sales taxes in TX.
I didn't know you ate ethnic food in Texas...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I didn't know you ate ethnic food in Texas...
¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
More like the momentum builds. This is number 6
Amazon.com Help: Sales Tax

edit - cross posted with freebird. New avatar...nice.

But I did beat ya by 1 minute on the post.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

But I did beat ya by 1 minute on the post.
I know. I was busy admiring the new avatar.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I noticed on my last Kindle purchase, they collected sales tax in Arizona.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

They are going to start in Nevada in 2014.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

To tie this into FIRE, if this catches on it makes moving to a state with no sales tax more attractive....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon has been collecting ND sales tax for a few years now. Right after they acquired a business in Grand Forks.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm on the fence on this. On one hand, it seems to give internet companies an 'unfair' advantage over brick & mortar stores. OTOH, an internet company with no B&M presence also isn't using any resources of the State, so why do state taxes need to be collected? The delivery companies operating within the state are paying taxes to the State - isn't that enough?

What I don't like is the state telling me I need to track this. I can have one Amazon order with multiple items, one might include IL tax because that company has B&M in IL, and another does not. That's a fair amount of book-keeping. When you pay at the register, it is done for you, including all the various taxes for food, services, medicine, etc.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
gone traveling

Pennsylvania just changed their income tax form to "capture" sales tax on internet (and other) out of state purchases.

Regardless if the internet company (such as Amazon) collects tax or not, they are now expecting you to report/pay taxes due.

Of course, you could "forget" to report it on the tax form, but as "the man" said, "Well, do you feel lucky, punk?" ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm on the fence on this. On one hand, it seems to give internet companies an 'unfair' advantage over brick & mortar stores. OTOH, an internet company with no B&M presence also isn't using any resources of the State, so why do state taxes need to be collected? The delivery companies operating within the state are paying taxes to the State - isn't that enough?

What I don't like is the state telling me I need to track this. I can have one Amazon order with multiple items, one might include IL tax because that company has B&M in IL, and another does not. That's a fair amount of book-keeping. When you pay at the register, it is done for you, including all the various taxes for food, services, medicine, etc.
This is one example where I think Congress needs to get involved and lead. This is undeniably an interstate commerce question in most cases, and that is clearly the role of Congress to sort out. It should be done in a way that doesn't add excessive bookkeeping responsibilities on consumers, but to me it's clearly something Congress needs to settle once and for all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This is one example where I think Congress needs to get involved and lead. This is undeniably an interstate commerce question in most cases, and that is clearly the role of Congress to sort out. It should be done in a way that doesn't add excessive bookkeeping responsibilities on consumers, but to me it's clearly something Congress needs to settle once and for all.
+1

The "excessive bookkeeping responsibilities on consumers" pales in comparison to the burden placed on the Amazons of the world to accurately collect and remit sales tax.

Think about it - for every single shipping address in the US the seller must know the correct state, city, county, metro transit district, etc. sales tax % - and what is exempted. Plus, the tax rates and taxing entities are constantly changing.

Sales tax collection and remittance is a huge burden for a company to implement and administer, capped by auditors from each of the 50 states who want to spend a couple of weeks each year bugging the finance staff to verify the company has been collecting and paying their fair share. Been there, done that and can attest that it is an onerous business responsibility.

Standardization of interstate sales taxes by Congress makes a lot of sense, which means it will not happen for many years to come...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

At least Texas let's me order wine direct from out of state wineries now. These small wineries have to know the wine shipping rules for each state, which are all over the map (pun!). And collect the taxes. And there is special shipping. In Texas, there are limits for how many bottles of wine each customer can order from a given winery each 3 month period (something like that), so each winery has to keep track for each customer. And each winery has to obtain a TX sales permit each year. But it's working now! 80% of the WA wineries we visited last year ship to TX customers now - yay!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm probably the only person in Ohio that actually computes and pays "use tax" every year on my state income tax. This is the sales tax for internet and mail order purchases. So, it wouldn't bother me for Amazon (and others) to charge it.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

The "excessive bookkeeping responsibilities on consumers" pales in comparison to the burden placed on the Amazons of the world to accurately collect and remit sales tax.

Think about it - for every single shipping address in the US the seller must know the correct state, city, county, metro transit district, etc. sales tax % - and what is exempted. Plus, the tax rates and taxing entities are constantly changing.

Sales tax collection and remittance is a huge burden for a company to implement and administer, capped by auditors from each of the 50 states who want to spend a couple of weeks each year bugging the finance staff to verify the company has been collecting and paying their fair share. Been there, done that and can attest that it is an onerous business responsibility.

Standardization of interstate sales taxes by Congress makes a lot of sense, which means it will not happen for many years to come...

There are a few companies that will do all this for you....

But you also forget about what is taxable and what is not... electronically delivered programs in a number of states are not taxable, but in others they are... again, the companies keep track of this for you also...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote