Amended Tax Return Question

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have never had the need to file an amended return before. For 2016 I had 2 months of W-2 income before retiring. Since I had over paid on withdrawals, I filed as soon as I had all my forms, then last week I got a corrected W-2 :mad:. After putting the minor changes into Turbo Tax, I'll get $1 back from the state and $7 back from the Feds. I am tempted to not even file, but I figure some computer somewhere will catch the discrepency and I'll get letters from State and fed.

I filed both electronically, but understand that the amended return must be a paper filing.

Question: Turbo Tax tells me to be sure to include all W-2's and 1099's. I am assuming that is just the corrected version of the W-2. Is this correct? Or do I need to resend everything they already got electronically?

Just the corrected pieces, see IRS.gov for the 1040-X instructions. That should help with the questions.

Here is some guidance we have received:

"As of 2016, the IRS has requested that if a taxpayer discovers $200 or less of missed income, after filing, that
no amended return be prepared. Instead, the taxpayer should wait for a letter from the IRS. (As noted below,
the taxpayer may have the option of simply accepting the IRS calculation of how much additional tax is owed,
as stated on an adjustment letter from the IRS, and mailing a check for that amount.)"

I would not file and see if I ever got a letter...

Since they owe you money not vice versa, and revenue agents have a quota of funds to make they won't bother.

About 30 years ago I received a letter from the IRS stating there was a math error on my return and that I would be receiving a check for $3. About 3 months later it came.

Back
Top Bottom