American Assn of Individual Investors?

theloneranger

Recycles dryer sheets
I received a flyer today from the American Association of Individual Investors, headed by James Cloonan. What has anyone heard or experienced about this scam, er, group?

It is legit. I used to be a member and subscribe... about 10 - 12 years ago. A lot of good information there.

Yep - me too in the 80's early nineties - went to a lot of New Orleans chapter meetings in my 'extreme slice and dice period.'

AAII was the begining of my index fund slow/morph into a hard core Boglehead although I never knew it back then,

Paradoxically - also cemented my individual stock hobby/Ben Graham reread - quest for the Holy Grail stock - better than their shadow stock list.

Don't know what they are up to now a days.

heh heh heh

One more thing - taught me to think in terms of overall portfolio and management thereof.

Last edited:
I subcribed for the past two years but did not renew for this year. There is a lot of good information on topics that I am really not interested in, e.g., stock picking and active management.

They are a good organization for the right type of investor. If you're a strict indexer and more of a "passive" investor there's not as much value added, though.

I was an annual member for a few years and then converted to life membership in 1995 (because we moved out of the US and AAII wanted extra to mail their monthly overseas unless you were life). They've been faithfully sending 10 regular monthlies and six more issues targeted at computerized investing, plus an annual roundup of big mutual funds (think M* digests on a bookshelf) ever since.

As a couch potato indexer, I can't say that I get much out of the monthly journal, which is oriented to running screens to find promising small cap value investments. Once or twice a year there's a useful tax article, which I carefully extract and file, the annual discount broker comparisons can be useful too, but most of it goes from mailbox to trash can in ten minutes.

I think the journal is worth reading, and I certainly don't regret signing up even if I don't get much out of it these days.

I purchased a life membership to AAII about 1990.

In 1997 AAII Journal was the first place to publish the Trinity Study. The Trinity Study was the first published report to describe the historical success rate of inflation adjusted portfolio withdrawals, examining various initial withdrawal rates, proportions of stocks and bonds, and duration of withdrawals. The calculation methods it described led the way for the Retire Early Homepage, which in turn led to Firecalc and this forum.

That one issue was worth a lot more to me than membership price, since it gave me the confidence to retire at 46.

Nothing else in the AAII Journal has had as much value for me as the Trinity Study, but I still find occasional articles that provide useful information or a new perspective.

Back
Top Bottom