Join Early Retirement Today

American Association of Individual Investors?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

American Association of Individual Investors?

I am pondering about spending a few bucks for a membership, at least to try it out for a year.

AAII: The American Association of Individual Investors

Anybody being a member? Useful/not-so-useful experience?

PS. I stumbled on AAII by looking for more literature from Jonathan Guyton. If you happen to know where to find his 2008 article on "Squeezing More From Your Retirement Portfolio", please share!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pondered it a few years ago but you can get better info here and at Bogleheads than you can get from their newsletter IMHO.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I pondered it a few years ago but you can get better info here and at Bogleheads than you can get from their newsletter IMHO.
Yes, this is exactly why I wasn't so sure I should try...
Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've been a member on and off (more off) for the last 15 years. It is is really gear more for the individual stock picker than someone who is going to invest primarily in index funds.

Plus some of the system are pretty screwing.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I went to a local meeting years ago. It seemed like most of the attendees were financial sales people looking for clients.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a member in the roaring 90s. Like clifp says, it is geared to stock pickers.

The internet boom did not end well for me so I gave up picking individual stocks & now use mainly broad index funds (and some broadly diversified mutual funds that I've had for a couple of decades)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have belonged for years, and find it easily worth the small dues. I no longer go to meetings, because most of them are on Mercer Island and would take a bit of getting to for me. When I did go, I find them to be high quality.

As long as I manage a portfolio, I will have a membership.

Ha
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, I think I got my response then... As I am done with the stock picking...

Thanks for the feedback, you saved me some bucks, some time, and quite possibly some aggravation!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a life member. IMO it's worth the price. In fact I reviewed some AAII information today. I tend to be an individual stock picker so I use AAII and Value Line to obtain useful information.

AAII is not exclusively for individual stocks. AAII provides information for mutual funds and ETFs too. In addition, they have useful articles on asset allocation, withdrawal rates and a host of other investing and retirement subjects. I'm amazed at the information AAII produces for such a low price.

The annual membership is $29 and according to the AAII web site includes the following:

12 Issues of the AAII Journal
AAII Model Stock, Mutual Fund, and ETF Portfolios
Access to AAII.com
Top Mutual Funds Guide
Yearly Tax Planning Guide
Access to Local Chapter Meetings (over 50 nationwide)
60 On-Line Stock Screens
And much more!

on edit: I just noticed AAII offers a free 30 day trial.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
on edit: I just noticed AAII offers a free 30 day trial.
Ah thank you, I didn't see such a trial first time I checked, but now I found it here. Maybe I'll give it a try after all...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #11

I've also been AAII member for years, though there are no member meetings in my area. Like most sources, there are articles (magazine & website) on individual stock picking but also other topics like sector investing, AA, and retirement investing. Unlike many sources, articles in AAII seem generally balanced in outlook. I find it useful.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have belonged for years, and find it easily worth the small dues. I no longer go to meetings, because most of them are on Mercer Island and would take a bit of getting to for me. When I did go, I find them to be high quality.

As long as I manage a portfolio, I will have a membership.

Ha
I have been a member for a few years now as well.

Just went to a meeting on Mercer island in Jan. where they had Christine Benz of Morningstar.

Once a year they publish a comprehensive listing of the top Mutual Funds. This years Feb issue lists 1560 Funds. So it is not just for stock pickers. I also enjoy their annual tax guide issue which provides quick access to the important tax rate tables and earning limits for various types of investments.

fd
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

I'm a life member too. I enjoy reading their updates on the model mutual fund and stock portfolios. I find their articles worthwhile as well. Trying them out will give you online access to years of articles from their journal. Not a bad deal as you can create a library of articles you find worthwhile.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I also was a member in the mid 1990's and enjoyed the newsletters. After moving a couple times and relying on web based tools and articles I never renewed and had forgotten about them. Never knew they have a life membership and may give it a try again after reading the comments above.

M
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Once I became a life member I never paid much attention to the membership prices. I think I paid $299 and that was many years ago. Right now, AAII is offering special membership prices. I don't know if that's something they do from time to time or if this is a one-time offer.

1 Year: $29 ($49 regularly)

4 Year: $99 ($316 regularly - although this doesn't seem to be a multiple of the 1 year price)

Life: $290 ($490 regularly)

If you click on Join Now you'll see the prices. When you leave the Join Now page you'll see the offer to join for 30 days for free.

DW and I are considering attending the AAII Investor Conference in 2015. We cannot attend this year and they only hold it on odd number years.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Once I became a life member I never paid much attention to the membership prices. I think I paid $299 and that was many years ago. Right now, AAII is offering special membership prices. I don't know if that's something they do from time to time or if this is a one-time offer.

1 Year: $29 ($49 regularly)

4 Year: $99 ($316 regularly - although this doesn't seem to be a multiple of the 1 year price)

Life: $290 ($490 regularly)

If you click on Join Now you'll see the prices. When you leave the Join Now page you'll see the offer to join for 30 days for free.

DW and I are considering attending the AAII Investor Conference in 2015. We cannot attend this year and they only hold it on odd number years.
Thanks for the note. I think I might add another 4 years.

fd