Join Early Retirement Today

American Greed on CNBC
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

American Greed on CNBC

Anybody else watch this program ?

I am simply amazed at how supposedly smart people are duped out of their hard earned money and savings by promises of excessive returns on their investments.

Greed has to be one of the major obstacles to FIRE for some people.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Didn't watch the show, but it doesn't surprise me. It seems to me that Greed and its evil cousin Fear are responsible for most of our financial missteps.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watch this show often. Some of the segments are based on fraud (i.e. ID theft, mortgage fraud), as the victims (individuals or banks) did not do anything to try to get excessive returns, just sell their house or make a loan.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #4

The program last night was about some offshore bank in Granada offering CDs paying a 250% annual return. They had a fancy brochure and said funds were insured by the IDIC (International Deposit Insurance Corp) of which there is none. Basically it was nothing more than a big Ponzi scheme that sucked a lot of so called smart people in for thousands of dollars.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The program last night was about some offshore bank in Granada offering CDs paying a 250% annual return.
Sold - let me in.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Can you watch it anywhere online?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The program last night was about some offshore bank in Granada offering CDs paying a 250% annual return.
That isn't greed - that is stupidity, or maybe just ignorance.

Wait - are you talking about the greed of the people seeking these returns, or the greed of the people offering the scam? I see them both as 'greedy'. You can't cheat an honest man?

Quote:
Greed has to be one of the major obstacles to FIRE for some people.
And maybe the major pathway also? I wonder if the scammers will retire early (maybe to a prison)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #8

See case 2,
Conned in the Caribbean

News Headlines
Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I watch it pretty often. I try to take careful notes as I plot how to make my next fortune. Ponzi scheme seem so old fashion that I am looking for a more 21st century scam.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I find offering to manage my coworkers retirement and taxable investment accounts for a small portion of there assets is a pretty good return for me. I get my money now and they are stuck with my bad investment choices until they decide otherwise.

Actually they keep asking me if I would manage their accounts and I tell them my plans are working for me but may not work for you and to due their own due diligence.
avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I watch it pretty often. I try to take careful notes as I plot how to make my next fortune. Ponzi scheme seem so old fashion that I am looking for a more 21st century scam.
No need to spend too much time on devising your scam. Ponzi's scheme has stood the test of time - it certainly worked for Madoff.

My favorite investment scam of all time goes back to the South Sea Bubble when a group of "creative" individuals raised money:
For carrying on an undertaking of great advantage; but nobody to know what it is.

And people actually put money into it: History House: The South Sea Bubble

Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
No need to spend too much time on devising your scam. Ponzi's scheme has stood the test of time - it certainly worked for Madoff.

My favorite investment scam of all time goes back to the South Sea Bubble when a group of "creative" individuals raised money:
For carrying on an undertaking of great advantage; but nobody to know what it is.

And people actually put money into it: History House: The South Sea Bubble

And, yet, somehow we never get any smarter.

Special-purpose acquisition company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I recall contemplating some Iceland CD's.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It's a really good program! I have been amazed how many of the scams are have a religious front or tap into religious organizations to find their victims. These, also, are usually offering unreasonable returns.

Audrey
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #15

Answered my own question

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=American+Greed&st=0
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One thing that they all share is an overtone of
- too good to be true
- you are privileged to be offered this
- act now

I think it all started with the sale of swampland in southern Florida in the 60s. Then it branched out into timeshares.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
One thing that they all share is an overtone of
- too good to be true
- you are privileged to be offered this
- act now

I think it all started with the sale of swampland in southern Florida in the 60s. Then it branched out into timeshares.
Three red flags that people just love to bite on, over and over and over again.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have this show set on my DVR....some interesting stories, makes you wonder how dumb some people really are though.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a talk with friends about this show recently. General consensus was that if we were to pull a scam, that the easiest to be duped tended to be church congregations. No judgement on religious folk in particular, but somehow attaching your scam to religion allows it to "fly under the radar" in a lot of cases. As evidenced by the show, investors just seem less likely to examine it closely.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Had a talk with friends about this show recently. General consensus was that if we were to pull a scam, that the easiest to be duped tended to be church congregations. No judgement on religious folk in particular, but somehow attaching your scam to religion allows it to "fly under the radar" in a lot of cases. As evidenced by the show, investors just seem less likely to examine it closely.
I don't think this is surprising at all.

A member of a religious congregation is pretty much by definition demonstrating, in public, that they believe in something which sounds amazing, promises an extraordinary reward, and for which no concrete, first-hand, would-hold-up-in-a-court-of-law, physical evidence is available. (I'm trying not be disrespectful here; my BiL who is very mainstream religious tells me that he is happy to accept the above definition, but it may not be to everyone's taste.)

If I were going to scam people, those folks would be first on my target list.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote