Join Early Retirement Today

American Home Shield?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

American Home Shield?

Resale we purchased came with 1 year AHS contract..coming up for renewal. Is this worth the paper it's printed on?

Fyi, most appliances are new.. water heater, AC etc are all 8 years old.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I also bought a house that came with one. The motherboard on the furnace got fried and they did pay to replace it. It was a pain using their approved repair company that was 40 miles away, but they did pay up. We opted not to renew.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The house we purchased last year also came w a 1-year AHS home warranty, which we used all of once. A knob on our stovetop malfunctioned, and the repair people did a fine job of fixing it. The cost of the renewal didn't seem worth it to us, though, so we let the contract expire.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three homes, three AHS one year contracts, zero uses, zero renewals.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake161 View Post
We opted not to renew.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
The cost of the renewal didn't seem worth it to us, though, so we let the contract expire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Three homes, three AHS one year contracts, zero uses, zero renewals.
kind of what I was thinking... renewal is $648 for the year. I think I'll pass. Appreciate your responses...
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's just another profit center for the real estate company. They've really got a bunch of holes in their policies. And they'll never admit to being an insurance company because that'd throw them under State controls. They're an extended service plan that's priced relatively high for the services rendered.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Or home purchase in 2013 came with it, we renewed in 2014 and 2015 (house was being rented out as we are overseas) and let it lapse for 2016. Cost us around $700/yr. Actually used it several times for oven/range, AC and washer/dryer. For us it wasn't strictly a cost issue, but more of an ease thing during the rental. No complaints with them or their service and reimbursement. YMMV.