Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rice and dried beans from Costco would win hands down for volume of food (and you get the right protein when you combine them).

I think it is around $11 for a 25 pound bag of rice and $10 for a 25 pound bag of dried beans. That is what, a month of food for $21?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
rice and dried beans from Costco would win hands down for volume of food (and you get the right protein when you combine them). I think it is around $11 for a 25 pound bag of rice and $10 for a 25 pound bag of dried beans. That is what, a month of food for $21?
Throw in some cornbread, and we're good to go!

Oh, and some Beano..,

I survived for a time back in the goodle days on white bread, canned vegetables, and powdered milk. Can't say it was totally voluntary...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #43

Actually I think they could just keep circling the food stands at costco and eat for free.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be interested to know how many of these folks had worked it out on calculators, Excel, whatever, vs. just did it without planning.
And there are in fact some black beans downstairs in the crockpot.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder if the workers' feeling was because the perception that exempt or professional people make so much more than they do, which may not be true. Or in the case that the latter do make a lot more, that the higher pay was undeserved?
It was actually the other way around but they may have perceived it differently. It took an engineer about 5 years to be making as much as the average operator with the built in overtime. Unless moved into a management or marketing position, an engineer would never make more than about 15% over what the average operator made.

As the manager over about 120 of them I made about 50% over this average if you included my typical but not guaranteed annual bonus. I probably made less then an operator if you calculated out my hourly rate. My base pay (no bonus) was barely more than I would have been making if I had remained an engineer.

Operators and maintenace crafts made really good money for a job requiring only a high school degree. We did like to hire people that had gone through one of the local JC programs that taught the basic skill and terminology but we certainly hired many that hadn't. At 3 am during a freezing rain storm, they might be climbing the side of a distillation column. Me or an engineer might be in the control room but the operator was getting their hourly rate. For me, the term used was "it is all figured in."
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
At 3 am during a freezing rain storm, they might be climbing the side of a distillation column. Me or an engineer might be in the control room but the operator was getting their hourly rate. For me, the term used was "it is all figured in."
DW's brother has mentioned being called in on OT to help keep cooling water intakes clear of debris during storms, and last time I talked with him he was working on some certification test that would make him more marketable elsewhere, so at least he's doing that.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Saddle View Post
I read an article by Scott Burns recently on his web-site about an interview he did with a PHD researcher at Blackrock doing research on retirement percentages to preretirement income needed. The research indicated that most people can retire on 60 to 75% of their preretirement income. Some were getting by on 50% & doing just fine. It was interesting to read.
Very very amusing. The early founder of this forum (Dory36) wrote an article why 33% was a walk in the park.

Being a layed off engineer at age 49 it caused two things: 1) I joined this forum and 2) one year at 12% was my personal all time never to be repeated best.

heh heh heh - it's not bragging if you really were a 'cheap SOB'.