Join Early Retirement Today

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Americans want universal health coverage
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not for this group.

Good on the committee though for getting out there and looking at this issue.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Americans want universal coverage

- As long as they don't have to pay any more taxes and that their relatively good medical coverage they now have isn't degraded.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

MasterBlaster, what's your avatar spelling out? Your first, middle and last names, plus your alma mater and your degree?

That's a lot of bum-shaking!
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #5

it cost $5.5MM for a government study to find that Americans want free health care?!* i would have been happy to tell them than, for ... 1/2 that.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Americans want universal coverage

- As long as they don't have to pay any more taxes and that their relatively good medical coverage they now have isn't degraded.

not to worry. If recent history is any indication, Bush will sign a health care bill and another tax cut on the same day.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
it cost $5.5MM for a government study to find that Americans want free health care?!* i would have been happy to tell them than, for ... 1/2 that.
n/k... what good is this study
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
MasterBlaster, what's your avatar spelling out? Your first, middle and last names, plus your alma mater and your degree?
I think I've figured it out but I'd like some more time to verify the spelling...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
not to worry.* If recent history is any indication, Bush will sign a health care bill and another tax cut on the same day.
LOL!

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: the 5.5M...there are a boatload of people afraid to state the obvious in fear of someone in opposition popping up with THEIR 5.5M study that says they're wrong.

When I first started at my last j-o-b, the schmoe running a program I worked on wanted us to develop software and a database to gather information on our desktop pc's with the sole intent of being able to support his point in a presentation that the company had a very diverse collection of hardware on the desktop.

No **** sherlock.

He's a vice president now, by the way.

I'd love universal health care. Honestly I dont see that i'm receiving any sort of superior treatment right now on the BC/BS plan and seeing one of the better doctors in the area, who is friends with my wife and works with her. We get maybe 7 minutes instead of 6. Appointments get regularly forgotten about or rescheduled at the last minute. Getting the insurance to cover some prescriptions is like pulling teeth with your fingers. The pharmacy wont call me if they havent filled the prescription due to stock issues, customer load issues or some miscommunication with the insurer or doctor - they wait until you get there to tell you they couldnt do it, so sorry we wasted your time. Picking up the phone for 20 seconds would just be too much effort.

Now what exactly am I going to lose by getting universal health care?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #11

CFB, sounds like you need to find a better doctor and pharmacy.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Best in the area on both, according to multiple sources.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #13

I've been pretty happy with Walmart. For prescriptions, not doctors
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm using sams club, who uses the same prescription system.

It appears that the pharmacies - at least our local ones - are severely limiting quantities of meds they are holding in inventory to cut costs, preferring to "almost just in time" inventory filling that takes a couple of days. They've also in unison decided to severely reduce customer communications, waiting for you to show up in the pharmacy to tell you something didnt get filled.

The combination is a bit problematic.

I'm going to solve the problem by using BC/BS's own pharmacy system. You have to give a form to your doctor and they have to mail it to precisionrx (BC's 'in house' pharmacy, sort of). You refill by web site, pay online with a credit card, and they mail it to you. The good part is they do 60 day supplies for the same co-pay as a 30 day supply at a regular pharmacy for letting them cut out the middleman and his profit. The bad part is it takes 2-4 days to get your prescriptions in the mail. At this point, that bad part doesnt matter much, since it now takes 2-4 days to get a prescription filled at a B&M pharmacy around here

Precisionrx sucks for a common prescription fill you need right now, like an antibiotic or antifungal sort of thing, but its good for regular monthly meds - cuts your out of pocket co-pays in half.

If this 'not quite in time' inventory system and cutting costs by not talking to your customers hasnt come to a "pharmacy near you" yet...just wait...invisible inflation is still nibbling.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #15

Bunny--If my doc and pharmacy treated me like that, they'd be fired. *It's my insurance, I'll go to another approved doc *and pharmacy. I'd also let them know why I'm changing.

As far as unversal health care goes, it's pie in the sky. *Look at how much you all compalin about how the government is run. *Do you really think they can run a medical system adequately? *The treatment I received in the military was substandard and that was one of the reasons I left. *I am not against universal coverage, but I know the government will screw it up. I don't want them to vote in another expensive entitlement program that'll do nothing but increase taxes and decrease services.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
As far as unversal health care goes, it's pie in the sky. Look at how much you all compalin about how the government is run. Do you really think they can run a medical system adequately? The treatment I received in the military was substandard and that was one of the reasons I left. I am not against universal coverage, but I know the government will screw it up. I don't want them to vote in another expensive entitlement program that'll do nothing but increase taxes and decrease services
I am so glad to hear somebody else mention this.! Yes if more people were in the military and had to deal with the "Company Dr" there'd be no discussison of Gov Run Medical Care!

What I want is for the advocates of the staus quo.. and even worse free-marlet medine to answer the qustsoin of WHY arent 100% of eh people able to access 100% of the medical care they need 100% of the time? I wnat their real M<F'in answer. Then I want them to solve in. They won't becaus ethey can't. Not without flipping everybody off with "We cant afford it" or that "life ain't air" crap, thus undermining the system they love so much.

But it's not a health care problem and the incessent conflation of health care with paying for it is designed to obfuscate and undermine any cure. As a retired military guy I have a meical insurance plane with deductables and co-pays BUT the cost of the plan is underwtitten by the gov, they have to pick me up, and they cant ever drop me.

I like it. It has kept me from going broke and living or dying in a dumpster or an alley somewhere. And the gov doesnt run the heath care system. They just help me pay for what I need. Because pure capitalism will never make that much money available to enough people.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish my HMO would give me a plane, but hey, life ain't air! I'm guessing you wrote this on a government-undertitten PDA??
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I conducted my own study, and found that cruising boaters wanted free beer.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

And your dog wants steak.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
I conducted my own study, and found that cruising boaters wanted free beer.
n = 1, +/- 99.999%
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote