Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Pleeeze.......... Every forum has its own unique personality. This forum distinguishes itself by the large percentage of members whose sh*t doesn't stink!

Why give up the forum's primary, unique, distinguishing factor?
Because it gets not so interesting after a while. I don't hang here that often but during the last 5 days of vacation, I hang out here quite a bit, and the pattern has been: Someone posts a link to some story usually a profile, members pile on about others' stupidity and their own brilliance. Please get back to regular **** that stinks. This fragrant **** is pleasing to the nostril but kind of freaky.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Because it gets not so interesting after a while. I don't hang here that often but during the last 5 days of vacation, I hang out here quite a bit, and the pattern has been: Someone posts a link to some story usually a profile, members pile on about others' stupidity and their own brilliance. Please get back to regular **** that stinks. This fragrant **** is pleasing to the nostril but kind of freaky.
Good thing you take the high road right.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
There are jobs in other parts of the country besides SoCal. Yes, it does not solve the short term problem. However, IMO the high cost of living in SoCal is a long term problem and people should plan according. PLAN? What is that? Our Government (someone else) should be doing that for me.
Well said!

I'm sure Southern California has its charms, but there are other places to live and work that do not require 60-100 mile one-way commutes (not only is that incredibly wasteful financially, it's also a killer of personal time ... not to mention the unnecessary air pollution).
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Perhaps you should stop visiting the forum. (Personal) problem solved!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Well actually, I think mentioning this issue is a good response. To give up the forum over an annoying aspect may be more than he wants to do.

Why not point out the issue? Maybe someone will notice and agree that perhaps not everyone is a millionaire who hardly needs to drive, and to whom nothing bad ever happens.

For many of the rest of us, and likely a high proportion of those who tell the truth, sh*t happens in spite of our best efforts.

Remember, INTJ doesn't have to mean that one is always right and always perfect, and everyone else sucks.

Ha
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

Phew, I can smell you from here, dude.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Someone posts a link to some story usually a profile, members pile on about others' stupidity and their own brilliance.
I understand your point, but I'd like to point out that highlighting these articles does indeed serve a useful purpose. It helps us "Young Dreamers" learn from the mistakes of others by vividly illustrating the consequences of doing the wrong (but popular) thing. I think this redeeming quality makes up for all the occasional self-congratulatory back-patting that go along with them.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #48

Pointing out those articles to me is comic relief. I consider myself dumber than average. Its refreshing to see people a bit dumber than me. YEAHAW
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I understand your point, but I'd like to point out that highlighting these articles does indeed serve a useful purpose. It helps us "Young Dreamers" learn from the mistakes of others by vividly illustrating the consequences of doing the wrong (but popular) thing. I think this redeeming quality makes up for all the occasional self-congratulatory back-patting that go along with them.
Carefully read the profiles. It seems that many of these people are guilty of nothing more than being laid off, getting sick, having a child get sick, losing health insurance, etc. etc.

I can distill the relevant advice:

1)Be perfect
2)Be even more perfect
3)Be extremely lucky.

Ha
Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Phew, I can smell you from here, dude.
Mea culpa.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Carefully read the profiles. It seems that many of these people are guilty of nothing more than being laid off, getting sick, having a child get sick, losing health insurance, etc. etc.

I can distill the relevant advice:

1)Be perfect
2)Be even more perfect
3)Be extremely lucky.

Ha
Agree with you about luck HAHA. Many forget that one accident through no fault of your own could crush any plans you make. I feel blessed for every day of such avoidances.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

But the most costly mistake I made was marrying someone with about zero financial sense. Money burned a hole in her pocket like a five-year-old's. The tuition bill for that error was very high, but I was relatively lucky - no kids and there was time to financially recover.

That said, it is hard to make a case for an ivy league school when the state school is a quarter of the tuition, or go to a community college first and then transfer. Military service is another option, that's been the ticket out of poverty for millions of people.
One of the best financial moves in your life is to choose a spouse who is educated; in a good career field; and is a LBYM type person.

My son chose military service via the ROTC at a state school. Along with some other scholarships, his under graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering was completely paid for. After several years of active duty the military paid all his schooling and full wages for 20 months for him to acquire a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering. At 29 years he is without any debt and his liquid portfolio is greater than $200K.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Remember, INTJ doesn't have to mean that one is always right and always perfect, and everyone else sucks.

Ha
That is really really funny Ha! I sure hope that it doesn't get out, or my rep is ruined--and if I'm also left-handed does that make me "more right"?
How very predictable we are!
Thanks!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
One of the best financial moves in your life is to choose a spouse who is educated; in a good career field; and is a LBYM type person.

Better yet, make sure you are born into a fabulously wealthy family.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Maybe. But could imagine how screwed up your life would be (other than financial) if you were married to Paris Hilton, etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That is really really funny Ha! I sure hope that it doesn't get out, or my rep is ruined--and if I'm also left-handed does that make me "more right"?
How very predictable we are!
Thanks!

It does make it hard to be humble - doesn't it?

heh heh heh - yours truly in quasi humble left-handed INTJ ness!

Now what was the subject?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #57

Quote:
I remember seeing a spoof television advertisement back in the early 80's (probably on Not The Nine O'Clock News), touting the benefits of a very lavish and exciting lifestyle involving exotic travel, disco dancing, parachuting, scuba diving, skiing, etc. At the end, the voiceover said "Join the Royal Family", and there was the address for Buck House or something similar.

Well, I guess young and attractive women could marry into the Royal Family; but the gates are forever closed to the rest of us.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having no children I don't get the private schools thing. I have coworkers who pay outrageous amounts to send their children to private schools. Are they really that much better? I went to public only so I don't really know.

This relates to the woman in the article who appears to be losing her marriage and car because of finances but points out she keeps her kids in private schools since it shouldn't be only for the rich.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Having no children I don't get the private schools thing. I have coworkers who pay outrageous amounts to send their children to private schools. Are they really that much better? I went to public only so I don't really know.

This relates to the woman in the article who appears to be losing her marriage and car because of finances but points out she keeps her kids in private schools since it shouldn't be only for the rich.
It depends on where you live. I paid a huge amount to send my daughter to a private school in one location, and I would never have let her go to public schools for one day there. Too many gangs and too much violence, as well as virtually no education at those public schools.

Then we moved to College Station, Texas which has excellent public schools. She got a great education in those public schools.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
There's are appropriate circumstances where private schools would be a big benefit. But to strain one's finances to the point of breaking and as a result breaking her marriage and losing her car?? The end result seems to be a divorce, both parents being poorer, maybe bankruptcy, and neither parent being able to afford to send their kids to private schools. Seems a stable family life with happy parents would be of more benefit to the kids than a school that might only be marginally better.